6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2012 1:45 PM by JimVag1947

cropping a layer at specific shape

JimVag1947 Level 1

I have a layer in which I want to crop it-after the cropping I want this layer to have a specific shape-the shape I intend to use is not from the custom shapes list.

Actually it is a type layer.

So I want to use this type layer and with it crop another shape layer, so the latter, takes the form of the later.

How am I going to achieve the above-I tried with a clipping mask but could not do it.

• 1. Re: cropping a layer at specific shape
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

How am I going to achieve the above-I tried with a clipping mask but could not do it.

Why?

Could you please post a screenshot with the Layers Panel visible?

You could use Type > Create Work Path and then employ that Work Path as a Vector Mask, but a Clipping Mask has the advantage of keeping the type editable.

• 2. Re: cropping a layer at specific shape
            Noel Carboni Level 8

I have been fooling around with techniques to capture animations into GIFs to support explanations and I recorded this, which might be helpful...  It repeats, so give it a few moments.

Note that what you want to "show through" actually has to be above the text.  That always throws me for a moment if I haven't done it in a while.

Click this thumbnail to see it full size and animated...

CreatingClippingMask.gif

-Noel

• 3. Re: cropping a layer at specific shape
              JJMack Most Valuable Participant

JimVag1947 wrote:

I have a layer in which I want to crop it-after the cropping I want this layer to have a specific shape-the shape I intend to use is not from the custom shapes list.

Actually it is a type layer.

So I want to use this type layer and with it crop another shape layer, so the latter, takes the form of the later.

I do not undertand why you could not do!

First crops are rectanular and the crop tool will crop all layers in a document and change the documents canvas size. Croped text layers are still text layers and the text layer may be latger then canvas size.

Layers can have a shape because of tranparency.  This tranparency may be because of a layer mask orsimply the layer has no pixels in some areas. So a croped text layer would have a shape and you can load that shape as a selection by selecting the layers tranparency and aggit is as a layer mask to an other layer.

You can also more or less crop a single layer without croping all layers and changing the canvas size by targeting  the text layer and selecting what you want with a selection tool.  And adding it to the text layer as a layer mask. or you can rasterzise the text layer invert the selection and clear the pixel you don't want.  With some thought you can make a layer mask you want using a test layer tranparency.

However Photoshop also has masking text tools simply use one the then to create the mask you want!!!!

• 4. Re: cropping a layer at specific shape
                JimVag1947 Level 1

I am going to be more precise about what I want, using images, and you will tell me how can it be done.

image.JPG

IN the image above I have used a custom shape( a star) to subtract from a shape layer.

I want to do the same thing with the K letter which is shown in the left, I want to use this letter to subtract from the shape area depicted in the right.

This letter was imported from Illustrator as a shape layer.

What can I do?

I do not the clipping mask can help  me here.

The shape leayer in the right-its shape is affected by the star, which is subtratced from it.

That's it, I hope it is cleare now

• 5. Re: cropping a layer at specific shape
                  conroy Level 5

Select the K path that's in the K Shape Layer

Copy.

Target the rectangular Shape Layer from which you want to subtract the K.

Paste and position as required.

Set that pasted K path's combine mode to Subtract.

Result: the K should be knocked out of the rectangular shape.

• 6. Re: cropping a layer at specific shape
                    JimVag1947 Level 1

yes, this is precisely what I was looking for, thanks.