3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2012 5:33 AM by OldBob1957

can't put cursor in content – baffled

FieryPantone Level 3

IDD CS5, 7.0.4 on Mac Lion

I blatted happily along with a new document about seven pages long, then added a ToC. I now find that:

• if I click in the ToC and use down arrow, the cursor/insertion point gets as far as the end of the ToC and won't go any farther
      • if I click in the first three pages after the ToC, the cursor stays at the end of the ToC
      • if I click in the fourth and following pages, the cursor shows up where I've clicked
      • if I click in the fourth page and use up arrow, lo and behold the cursor moves into the previous page; once it's got there, it responds normally to up/down arrow but mouse clicks snap it immediately to the end of the ToC

I wouldn't wish this on anyone, but I hope someone else has seen it and can help me get normal, mouse-driven access to all my content! Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: can't put cursor in content – baffled
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

This sounds like you have two textframes on top of each other.

The first one, with your TOC in in, is on top of the other one, your regular text. When you click on the "TOC" story, you can move your cursor through it -- but not any further than the end of the TOC.

The underlying cause of your con-fused frames and overlapping stories is that InDesign cannot create just a Table of Contents -- it always needs to be a separate story, and thus it always needs a set of frames of its own. Very annoying.

• 2. Re: can't put cursor in content – baffled
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Jongware is most likely correct. TOC is ALWAYS a separate story, so the cursor cannot move out of it by using the arrow keys, but when I read the rest of the problem description I had the thought that some of your frames were either locked or or on the master page (that's pretty unlikely as they would show on multiple pages if they were), so you might want to open up the layers panel and expand the layers, then look for lock icons on each page.

• 3. Re: can't put cursor in content – baffled
              OldBob1957 Level 4

If all else fails, you can try THIS old trick for clearing corruption from a file.