4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2012 6:56 AM by Dvico

Suggestions for disk setup

Dvico Level 1

Dear All!

Id like to make a claen install.Before that id like to ask your advice for some disk setup, or modification.Is there some cheap solution to improve the system, ( maybe to buy or replace hdd-s or ssd-s).

My config was this : C: OCZ revodrive X2 160GB ( OS)

D: 240Gb Corsair Force 3 (Media cache, previews, pagefile)

E : 2*1TB Samsung 7200 RAID 0 ( Project files )

F : 2,5 TB WD Green (Export )

My revodrive too slow now (under 200Mb/s , tested with HD Tune).The retailer recommended a clean install before I send back the item.So maybe they change this product, maybe I can choose another type of SSD.In this case what is a good choise?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Suggestions for disk setup
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Personally I would replace your D: drive with a small 7200 rpm drive as you do not want to be using a SSD for heavy writing tasks.  Then I would get the green drive out of the editing path and use it for backup/archiving only.  Since you have a RAID 0 array for your project files, exporting to a single green drive will be much slower that exporting to your RAID array.  Now if you can configure another RAID 0 that would be ideal for the exports

• 2. Re: Suggestions for disk setup
            Dvico Level 1

If I would replace my 240Gb SSD to a 7200rpm HDD this will not be much slower like before?I thoght that media cache drive must be a fast drive.This Corsair HD tune test show around 300Mb/s average speed.And If I take out the corsair, where can I use?

I agree with you about the export drive.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Suggestions for disk setup
              RjL190365 Level 4

Here's the deal:

While SSDs are fast, they also have limited rewrite life. And when an SSD is used as a media cache dribe, it can use up its entire rewrite life cycle in only a few weeks to a few months of use! This is because media cache requires repeated rewrites to a disk.

• 4. Re: Suggestions for disk setup
                Dvico Level 1

I see!

In this case what if I put the corsair for an export drive? I render large files only a few time/month.

And I would buy another  2 * 7200rpm hdd RAID0 for media cache?  But I m afraid there is no more free sata port on my Asus P9X79 pro. In this case a RAID controller will be necessery?