8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2012 3:34 PM by Jeff Bellune

Timeline zooms in/out automatically when I drag a clip

davidarbor Adobe Community Professional

I'm on the Mac version of Premiere Pro CS6.0.1 and I've encountered this weird bug that only seems to be fixed by restarting the computer. When I go to drag any asset in the timeline, the moment I start to move the mouse after I'm holding down the button, the timeline zooms in (sometimes it zooms out). If I click and drag again, it will zoom in one more step. This happens until it can't zoom in anymore. When it zooms out, the same thing happens, one step at a time until it can't go anymore. This literally makes editing impossible as the moment I drag the clip, it immediately gets resized to the size it would be at the next zoom level and things jump all around.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've restarted Premiere many times and only a machine restart seems to help. I've also trashed my preferences and that didn't help either. I submitted a bug report about this a couple of weeks ago, but hopefully someone out here has any suggestions.

Thanks,

David

• 1. Re: Timeline zooms in/out automatically when I drag a clip
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Are you using a Wacom tablet?

Jeff

• 2. Re: Timeline zooms in/out automatically when I drag a clip

Hey, Jeff. Thanks for the quick reply.

I am. I had the strangest feeling that this might be the problem, but it also happens when I use a traditional mouse so I wans't sure. However, I haven't tried working with just the mouse and the tablet unplugged, or reinstalling the tablet driver.

-David

• 3. Re: Timeline zooms in/out automatically when I drag a clip

This is a problem with the Wacom driver.  It's an issue on Windows 7 as well, because the driver can conflict with the Windows tablet driver and also the Logitech Set Point application.

I don't know how/if you can run batch files on a Mac, or how you stop and start drivers, but on Windows 7 the quick cure for this is to stop the Wacom driver and then start it again using a batch file.  In case there's a Mac equivalent, here's the text of the batch file that I use:

echo

sc stop TabletServiceWacom

sc start TabletServiceWacom

Hope you find a quick fix,

Jeff

• 4. Re: Timeline zooms in/out automatically when I drag a clip

Thanks, Jeff. So I stopped the driver in my Activity Monitor (same thing as the Task Manager) and the problem didn't go away. I even uninstalled the tablet driver and the problem still didn't go away so I'm not sure what I can do. I contacted Wacom's technical support to see if they were aware of the problem and if they could in fact, confirm that it was their driver that was causing the issue. They're supposed to get back to me in 1-2 days.

-David

• 5. Re: Timeline zooms in/out automatically when I drag a clip

Do you have a Logitech mouse or keyboard? Before I uninstalled their Set Point software, it would sometimes take a reboot to get the mouse to stop behaving like the wonky Wacom.

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone

• 6. Re: Timeline zooms in/out automatically when I drag a clip

Nope, no Logitech hardware. I do have a ShuttlePRO v2 which I can try disabling the next time I get the problem, but otherwise, those are my only two pieces of third-party hardware.

• 7. Re: Timeline zooms in/out automatically when I drag a clip

Hey, Jeff.

Well Wacom got back to me and had me completely uninstall the drivers and the such before they continued to troubleshoot with me. I did it exactly how they suggested and it looked like it stopped the problem (which would indicate the Wacom WAS the issue) but after an unusally long time, the problem came back. So it looks like it's not my tablet that's problem. However, just to clarify, you said that once you ran that batch file and quit the driver, the problem immediately stopped? Did you even have to restart Premiere? I quit the driver, uninstalled it, quit other processes that were running and no dice. I can't figure this one out and it's a real pain; restarting the machine is the only thing that helps. Any other ideas?

The other problem is, I'm doing work at home this weekend and I have almost the exact same setup here as I do at my office and I just got the issue here! I do have a Logitech mouse and the same Wacom tablet, but uninstalling the tablet driver and disabling the mouse driver didn't help. I don't have the Set Point software so I can't get rid of that.

Thanks,

David

• 8. Re: Timeline zooms in/out automatically when I drag a clip

you said that once you ran that batch file and quit the driver, the problem immediately stopped? Did you even have to restart Premiere?

Yes, and no.

I quit the driver, uninstalled it, quit other processes that were running and no dice....uninstalling the tablet driver and disabling the mouse driver didn't help.

Stopping the driver service and restarting it always works here.  I don't uninstall it.  Have you tried stopping and restarting the driver?  And I don't think disabling the mouse will work because the Wacom glitch, once it hits, affects all pointing devices.  Are you using the Logitech mouse driver?  Does Apple have a generic mouse driver that you can use?  Uninstalling the Set Point software here also uninstalled the Logitech mouse driver.  My Logitech mouse now runs only off the generic Microsoft Windows mouse driver.  Since you don't have Set Point installed, maybe there's a way to get rid of the Logitech driver (if it's installed and available on your systems).

Jeff