29 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2012 6:38 PM by josephs51576386

Media Cache rebuilds every time I switch external hard drives

Erok3 Level 1

Troubles with different projects on seperate external firewire 800 drives. Whenever I want to edit on a different project I switch hard drives, when I open the project I need to reset the cache to the same hard drive every time. I am on a laptop so I can not keep the cache local. Why does PPro need to rebuild the cache every time. Also, why do I have to reset the cache location, then quit PPro then open th eproject again and then wait while PPro rebuild the cache? This is pretty ridiculous. Hopefully I am at fault and someone will show me the way to do this correctly.

Macbook Pro 16GB ram, 500 GB hardrive.

• 1. Re: Media Cache rebuilds every time I switch external hard drives
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Not sure how Macs handle drive letters/names, but on the PC side of the street, what you describe is usually attributed to not setting a unique drive letter for each external, and by not having the Scratch Disks set to "Same As Project."

I use FW-800's on my PC laptop all of the time, and have a unique drive letter assigned in the OS of that laptop, and also my workstation, as I migrate between the two. I also have my Scratch Disks set to "Same As Project."

Just do not know if that applies to a Mac, or not.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Media Cache rebuilds every time I switch external hard drives
            Erok3 Level 1

Hard drives are all unique names, Cool Project Drive, Junk Project Drive etc...

Unfortunately you are confusing Asset Location and Media Cache, or I was unclear. The media Cache folders are set in PPRo preferences, not the Project Preferences. This is obtuse thinking on Adobe's part. They should all be in the same place, or not if you prefer it that way.

Anyway, I still need to rebuild entire projects when switching external hard drives. There is no way to have Media Cache be same as project.

• 4. Re: Media Cache rebuilds every time I switch external hard drives
              the_wine_snob Level 9

No. I was not referring to the Assets, but to the Scratch Disks, where the Media Cache files are given their destination location (along with several other working files, etc.).

Sorry for my confusion.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Media Cache rebuilds every time I switch external hard drives
                Erok3 Level 1

That's OK. Everyone gets confused now and again. So, what you are leaving unsaid is that when a new project is being made a person should set the ASSETS(footage, audio files etc...) to Same As Project. Then PPro will automagically set system cache files to the same as project?

There is NO tab or choice on where to set cache files when starting a project.

• 6. Re: Media Cache rebuilds every time I switch external hard drives
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

No. The Assets' locations are established via absolute links, generated at the time of Import.

In Edit>Preferences>Scratch Disks, one has several destinations for Capture Video, Capture Audio, Media Cache, Rendered Files, etc., and there, the user CAN choose the destination of those particular file types. Think that on a Mac, it's just Preferences>Scratch Disks, but could be wrong.

In my cases, the external HDD's do contain the Assets, the Project Files, and also the Scratch Disks. Initially, I usually have to designate the external, coming from a Mac, to a permanently assigned, unique drive letter in my Windows OS. As the links to the Assets are broken now, I then have to use PrPro's Finder at the "Where is file ____ ?" dialog box, to reestablish those absolute links - if the Mac editor set up their Project correctly, the Scratch Disks are within the Project's folder hierarchy. At worst, I might not get the links to the Media Cache, or maybe the Rendered Files, but if I just Delete those, PrPro will recreate the necessary ones, and if I Render, will locate those, where I set the destination, when I Open the Project for the first time. That is automatic, but ONLY happens once for me.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Media Cache rebuilds every time I switch external hard drives
                    Erok3 Level 1

Must be a Mac thing. We have NO CHOICE IN PREFERENCES TO SET SCRATCH DISKS! Media Cache can be selected in preferences not assets, asset paths are set in the Project Preferences and at the time of setting up the project. Media Cache can only be set AFTER a project is set up. PPro automatically chooses the computer HDD as Media Cache the first time PPro is set up, that is why peoples HDDs' are becoming bloated and the computer gets slow...

so...we have to tell PPro where to put the Media Cache files on a per project basis. In my case it is always on an external firewire drive with the project files(I always put my raw data with the project).

When I finish a project and then hook up another drive to my computer the Media Cache location needs to be physically changed again from PPro preferences and then PPro remakes every single .pek file etc...

• 8. Re: Media Cache rebuilds every time I switch external hard drives
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

We have NO CHOICE IN PREFERENCES TO SET SCRATCH DISKS!

Project>Project Settings>Scratch Disks...

• 9. Re: Media Cache rebuilds every time I switch external hard drives
                        Erok3 Level 1

Exactly, you are talking about the Project Settings. I don't even care about the Project Settings. This whole thread is about Media Cache settings and it appears that no one in the Universe knows what the h3ll I am talking about. Is this true? Does no one know? How about God? Does he he/she know the answer?

Why can I not switch external drives without PPro redoing ALL of the Media Cache files? Does anyone here have an answer? I am NOT TALKING ABOUT FOOTAGE. Media Cache file examples are....PEK, mcdb, .ims

Sweet baby Jesus help us all.

• 10. Re: Media Cache rebuilds every time I switch external hard drives
                          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

What version of Premiere Pro?

And you need to get your nomenclature straight.  The media cache database location is set in Preferences.  The location of the media cache files themselves is set on a per-project basis.  Compared to the size of your assets and the cache files themselves, the size of the database is tiny.  Mine is only 92 kB at the present time.  Of course, I clean it out regularly using the Clean button in Preferences.

If the OS or Pr don't see the external drives as being in the same exact location every time you plug them in, then Pr will likely re-generate the cache files because it thinks they're missing.  On Windows, I can set each external drive to have a permanent drive letter that never changes, and the cache files never get re-generated.  I don't know if the Mac OS offers a similar function.

Regardless, if you think Pr is behaving badly then you need to tell Adobe about it here:

Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Jeff

• 11. Re: Media Cache rebuilds every time I switch external hard drives
                            Erok3 Level 1

Obviously most of the people here are on Windows boxes. My nomenclature IS straight. Maybe you should try this on a Mac, god help you...

Media Cache AND Media Datbase are set in the preference file on a per project basis.

Say you are editing the clients Cool Project on the "Morning" HDD. Great.

Then you go to lunch and have a burrito with your maid.

You get back from lunch and start another project on a different HDD, PPro will need to rebuild the Media Cache because the files are on a different drive. Wait 15-20 minutes while PPro rebuild the Media Cache. THEN maybe you need to edit the original project on the original drive, well hold on because now PPro will need to make th eMedia Cache files again on the "new to PPro" HDD. Nothing has changed as far as file structure is concerned.

• 12. Re: Media Cache rebuilds every time I switch external hard drives
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Here, I have been talking about the Media Cache files, set in Scratch Disks.

The Paths to Assets are NOT set in Preferences. Instead, they are read from, and links established, upon Import.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Media Cache rebuilds every time I switch external hard drives
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

I do, just as you describe, quite often. There are days when I might plug in 4 different external HDD's, each containing a separate Project. In each of those Projects, I have set my Scratch Files>Media Cache to be "Same As Project." As I am on a PC, I have previously established a unique drive letter, for each of those externals. That means that no matter when I plug in and turn on external drive Z:\, it is always seen as Z:\, regardless of what other peripherals I might have plugged in.

As my Media Cache files are exactly where they were created, and nothing has changed in the absolute Path, linking to them, PrPro finds them, and does NOT recreate a single file. It only checks my links, and then opens the Project, ready to go.

I keep things pretty simple, as I might work on each Project on different computers. At the root for the external HDD, I will create a Project folder, or perhaps a "client" folder, with the various Projects, in their own folder hierarchy, below that. Everything is then in folders below the Project folder - everything. That allows me to move the Project between several computers.

Hope that that helps,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Media Cache rebuilds every time I switch external hard drives
                                  Erok3 Level 1

On Mac there is no place to set Media Cache at project startup...NUTHIN'. It gets set to the last place that it was set by the user. If I only had one HDD that would be fine. But I don't, and it's not fine.

Does anyone understand the problem associated with multiple projects on seperate HDD's and Media Cache files? There are numerous problem threads on this scattered across the web and ther are no solutions for Mac.

Windows users, thank you for your wisdom but your solutions do not have anything to do with wonky Macs.

• 15. Re: Media Cache rebuilds every time I switch external hard drives
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Sorry to hear that such limitations exist on the Mac. That is odd indeed.

Sorry that I could only state how things work on my side-of-the-street - the PC side.

Good luck, and I hope that another Mac user can be of help.

Hunt

• 16. Re: Media Cache rebuilds every time I switch external hard drives
                                      Erok3 Level 1

It's just strange, everything should work how you describe it.

It just doesn't work that way on a mac?!?! Broken media pathway software on the Mac side?

Another question...do you use HFS formated Mac drives on you PC for ingesting raw camera data? Any caveats?

• 17. Re: Media Cache rebuilds every time I switch external hard drives
                                        josephs51576386 Level 3

I use HFS+ all the time on my PC. Because our company's BMD hyperdeck studio requires that the SSD's it records to are formatted that way. I also sometimes edit striaght from the SSD itself, and I never have any issues.

• 18. Re: Media Cache rebuilds every time I switch external hard drives
                                          Erok3 Level 1

Great news on HFS+ being easy to deal with.

Here are some screen grabs of where we on Macs get to manipulate our settings. Do they look/act different on Windows boxes?

Project settings.pngPreferences.png

• 19. Re: Media Cache rebuilds every time I switch external hard drives
                                            Level 4

my only experience with drives and mac vs pc was when I was working on pan am tv series and crew was shooting alexa log c to cards...and I asked the asst cam guy if I could get some footage to take home and play with on the pc I have and premiere pro...

I took the graid drive to set but because they use macs I formatted the drive to mac before going to work...normally i use ntfs pc format.

at any rate its graid, external, and can be esata, fw800 or usb...and took to work with me to get footage from alexa.

on pc i assign drive letter to the external and put tape with that letter on the drive so I dont forget ...

that way the pc I use knows the path to the drive and all files etc and it is perfectly OK...no problems with cache etc ( program sees the projects and so on and all is cool )

with mac you just basically do the same thing... use the external and get on with your life...point program to drive and get on with it.

dont know why youre having problems

• 20. Re: Media Cache rebuilds every time I switch external hard drives
                                              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

First, I have to apologize.  You were absolutely correct on where to set the location of the cache files and the cache database.  I'd forgotten about the cache files setting because I always have the check box for "Save Media Cache files next to originals when possible" selected, and I just never think about the cache file setting any more.  I should have double-checked before I replied to you.

You should try setting the check box for saving the cache files next to the originals to see if you can get Pr to stop rebuilding the cache files.

Thanks for the screenshots -- they helped a lot.

Jeff

• 21. Re: Media Cache rebuilds every time I switch external hard drives
                                                josephs51576386 Level 3

The only differnce I see is that there isn't a drive letter there.  So does the MAC name everything "volumes" if so that's somewhat wierd.PathOptions.PNG

• 22. Re: Media Cache rebuilds every time I switch external hard drives
                                                  Level 4

I guess a basic course in ' workflow' and assets and where things are done might help...

IIRC programs are on C drive ( computer). Exports can be to another drive or system of drives via computer internals ( esata etc or networked ).. and projects (assets and cache etc ) are on externals...kinda keep things packed together yet spread out over the resources.

I get confused sometimes when using maya or something, and have stuff on different drives for that 'speed' and then combine it with the editing NLE needs...but basically if you keep it in your head like a box diagram of resources etc.. it generally works out pretty good

• 23. Re: Media Cache rebuilds every time I switch external hard drives
                                                    Level 4

just check out the path and that will point to your 'volume' and it should see it and forget the drive letter ...call it volume and path name

edit:

the path is what you see...whether a drive letter or whatever

• 24. Re: Media Cache rebuilds every time I switch external hard drives
                                                      josephs51576386 Level 3

Keep in mind though that when I edit with HFS+ my PC is using Mac Drive which means it simulates it so that windows can read it etc. Although it's still HFS+ obviously. However it shows up with a drive letter just like a windows drive.

• 25. Re: Media Cache rebuilds every time I switch external hard drives
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

do you use HFS formated Mac drives on you PC for ingesting raw camera data? Any caveats?

No, not yet. To date, all of the Mac externals have been FAT-32 (older Macs), so other than the original editors having to address the ~ 4GB file size limitation, no issues.

Not sure if Windows 8 and recent Mac OS's will get closer, regarding HDD formatting, or farther apart?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 26. Re: Media Cache rebuilds every time I switch external hard drives
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

That is great info, and I will try to remember that, should I get a newer Mac-created Project. Might have to upgrade my MacDrive, but that should be simple and fairly painless.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 27. Re: Media Cache rebuilds every time I switch external hard drives
                                                            josephs51576386 Level 3

I haven't ever actually tried using any Mac created projects on my system yet. I have only used the HFS+ disk as footage drives. I basically plug the ssd into the e-sata dock and drag and drop the footage striaght from the HFS+  240Gb SSD straight into my premiere pro timeline. So I've dragged a lot of Pro-res HQ and DNxHD 220 footage off the HFS+ SSD's. But other than that I haven't tried much with the HFS+ drives so far simply because I haven't needed too.

However it is handy on occaisions when we sometimes have clients that come in and they hand you a HFS+ drive and tell you that the place that did their program before used MACs. That was actually the main reason we purcashed MAC drive.

Even though there is a free program called HFS Explorer but it doesn't allow you to import footage striaght from the drive into premiere. It only allows you to access data from the drive and then you have to transfer it to another disk. But since it's free you can't really complain much I guess.

• 28. Re: Media Cache rebuilds every time I switch external hard drives
                                                              Level 4

free is fun....

I recently ( for the first time since buying and installing macdrive for pc ) tried intalling some junk from my dvd drive...and couldnt do the installing...and finally ( after many minutes of chomping at the bit ) found out macdrive had defaulted my dvd drive to 'seeing only mac files ' on the drive...

good gawd...

so fixed that and installed stuff, but this stuff does get whacky sometimes...

programs do things you don't expect or want and you gotta figure out what the problem is..and half the time is some lame easy thing

ACK !

• 29. Re: Media Cache rebuilds every time I switch external hard drives
                                                                josephs51576386 Level 3

Yeah it stinks when stuff like that turns out to be the case , I always think it was funny looking back but at the time it's extremely irritating.