10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2012 8:37 AM by Clint Porter

Premiere playback interrupts AE render

Clint Porter Level 1

I've got a really strange problem that just popped up yesterday.

Anytime I start rendering a comp in AE and then work in Premiere, the AE render prematurely "finishes" after a few seconds. I hear the *ding* and it says "Done", even though the file clearly is a partial render.

If I leave the mac focused on AE, it finishes normally. Or if I switch to another application (it's rendering as I write this in Chrome), it's fine. But if I switch to Premiere, AE stops the render.

Somehow it seems like Premiere is causing a process that gives a false signal to AE's process to end.

Any ideas? I haven't run any recent updates, but I could easily have changed a setting here or there.

• 1. Re: Premiere playback interrupts AE render
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I may have an idea if I new something about your system other than it's a Mac.

We need the OS version of your operating system, the version of after effects you're using, and a little information about your project.

It sounds like you are experiencing a new problem. If that is true it would be helpful to know what changes were recently made. OS upgrade? New software install? Open any funky emails recently?

Let us know a little more and maybe we can help you figure this out.

• 2. Re: Premiere playback interrupts AE render
            Clint Porter Level 1

Thanks Rick,

Lion 10.7.4

Production Premium CS6 (all updates)

Mac Pro 4,1

For testing, I created a new AE project and a new PP project.

PP default sequence (empty): NTSC DV preset

AE new comp: NTSC DV preset

I purposely left all AE project settings untouched. So 8 bit, no color management, no linear color.

I threw an old, minute long NTSC DV clip into the comp (one that I knew worked). I added the Drop Shadow effect.

I put it in the Render Queue and set it up with Best Settings/Lossless defaults.

I hit "Render", and then I switched focus to the Premiere project window. When I did that, After Effects played the finished chime and marked the render as done (no errors). The resulting render is 11 seconds of the minute long clip.

I can repeat this experiment and at whatever time I click the Premiere window, that's when the AE render is "done".

It's very frustrating to no longer be able to edit in Premiere while rendering in AE. Now I have to just sit there and watch AE work until it's done.

I can't think of anything specific I've changed in the last few days. I don't think I've installed any new software.

Update: Breakthrough (and a workaround)

I just discovered a way to make it work. Earlier today I had turned on Multiprocessing in the AE Prefs. (With 3GB per core / 8 cores. My machine has 24GB / 16 virtual cores)

If I turn off "Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously", everything works fine. I can't make Premiere crash the render. (But it renders slower, obviously)

When I turn it back on, the problem is back. For whatever reason, AE multiprocessing has something to do with this.

• 3. Re: Premiere playback interrupts AE render
              Clint Porter wrote

.... Earlier today I had turned on Multiprocessing in the AE Prefs.

There you go. It's almost always something that you just did that causes a working app to fail.

There may be a multi-processing setting that will work...

• 4. Re: Premiere playback interrupts AE render
                Clint Porter Level 1

Rick Gerard wrote:

Clint Porter wrote

.... Earlier today I had turned on Multiprocessing in the AE Prefs.

There you go. It's almost always something that you just did that causes a working app to fail.

Sorry, I didn't know that feature was beta.

• 5. Re: Premiere playback interrupts AE render

What I'm saying is that your settings probably caused the problem. There should be other settings that do not cause the problem. Different memory and CPU assignments. I have a similar system setup but have no problems. I don't know the settings by memory.

• 6. Re: Premiere playback interrupts AE render
                    Clint Porter Level 1

Sorry if that was a little snarky. These multiprocessing settings have worked for me in the past. And when you're doing a lot of motion graphics, it's challenging to mentally sort through the hundreds of things you "just did" to zero in on something that may be the culprit. I certainly wouldn't expect this… I'd at least expect something like an out of memory error and a "failed" render.

• 7. Re: Premiere playback interrupts AE render
                      Dave LaRonde Level 6

Clint Porter wrote:

I just discovered a way to make it work. Earlier today I had turned on Multiprocessing in the AE Prefs. (With 3GB per core / 8 cores. My machine has 24GB / 16 virtual cores)

If I turn off "Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously", everything works fine. I can't make Premiere crash the render. (But it renders slower, obviously)

When I turn it back on, the problem is back. For whatever reason, AE multiprocessing has something to do with this.

No, it has to do with the amount of memory you've allocated to AE:  you want AE to use every bit you have.  The operating system and any open applications need some too, y'know.

You might want to look at this to see if it helps.

• 8. Re: Premiere playback interrupts AE render
                        Clint Porter Level 1

Adobe apps are using 21GB, which leaves 3GB for other open applications (the only thing open is Chrome on the Adobe forums page).

Why would not having enough RAM for the OS cause AE to prematurely think it's successfully finished rendering? And if that's true, wouldn't the problems chiefly come up when I'm using NON-Adobe applications? Right now it only comes up when you switch focus to Adobe Premiere.

As you know, when you click on Premiere, it seems to run some kind of auto-update process, like checking to see if any project assets have gone offline or any linked files have updated. It seems like it's a result of this process that causes AE to "done" the render.

• 9. Re: Premiere playback interrupts AE render
                          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Adoe apps are using 21 of 24 gigs?  You need to allocate a lot more memory to other applications.  Go read what that link says.  It may be for AE 10, but it still applies.

• 10. Re: Premiere playback interrupts AE render
                            Clint Porter Level 1

Thanks. I had read Todd's posts on this before, but I also use Adobe apps on a 4GB MacBook Pro without problems so I figured it was more of an issue when you're actually using another RAM-hungry application. I'll try upping the RAM for other applications when I get back in the office. It'd help in troubleshooting if Adobe would "fail" the render instead of "done" it.