3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2012 2:04 PM by John Hawkinson

Run-on spell check

Larry Spiegl

Hi, I use InDesign CS5 to write technical manuals. I don’t know if it’s because they contain many charts, illustrations, etc., but every time I check spelling, the Spell Check feature jumps randomly through the document, rechecking the same pages over and over. It misses misspelled words, rechecks accepted ones and I usually just turn it off after the second or third pass of the title page. I’ve selected US English, researched your website and forums and can’t find any reference to this problem. Am I alone, or is there some way to make it search the document thoroughly, in order, once?

Thanks,

Larry

• 2. Re: Run-on spell check
          Larry Spiegl Level 1

Hi John,

I went to your link. Where do I post my question?  When I tried "Ask a

Question", it tells me no results found.

Thanks,

Larry

• 3. Re: Run-on spell check
            John Hawkinson Level 5

(I've moved your thread to the InDesign General forum. I've also locked your duplicate thread in the Forum Comments forum, which is only for administrative questions about the forum).

every time I check spelling, the Spell Check feature jumps randomly through the document, rechecking the same pages over and over. It misses misspelled words, rechecks accepted ones and I usually just turn it off after the second or third pass of the title page. I’ve selected US English, researched your website and forums and can’t find any reference to this problem. Am I alone, or is there some way to make it search the document thoroughly, in order, once?

InDesign's spell-checking feature checks the document in order by text frame, each text frame in the order of creation. That means that it jumps around and may hit the same page more than once, but should not hit the same word or phrase or textframe more than once.

I filed a bug for this (#2911712) in July of 2011. If you choose to open a case with Adobe Support about it, citing that bug number might be helpful.

This is also a problem with Find/Change.