15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2017 6:16 PM by twistednoggin

CS6 Gradient fills on shapes different after reloading?

ribrob

Is anyone else getting an issue whereby gradient fills have changed when you reopen a PSD.

It's happening too often to me to be something i'm doing accidentally.

Sometimes i save my file and the gradient fill on a shape is be grey, reopen and it's then white.

Fixing it and saving it again seems to then save it properly.

I haven't been able to establish a pattern to reproducing it yet.

Hence why i'm wondering if others have seen this too?

Rob.

• 1. Re: CS6 Gradient fills on shapes different after reloading?
          Noel Carboni Level 8

I haven't seen anything like that nor heard of anyone else having it happen on the forum here, unfortunately.  The only "something changed after saving and reopening" bug I know about (and that Adobe is working on) is one where Text becomes corrupted / un-editable.

It might be helpful if you'd provide a little more detail and describe, step by step, how you normally create your gradient filled shapes (e.g., 1. press this button, 2. select that menu item, etc.).  There are often many ways to accomplish the same thing, and with software quirks/bugs sometimes the sequence of doing things matters.

-Noel

• 2. Re: CS6 Gradient fills on shapes different after reloading?
            conroy Level 5

If you define the gradient with Foreground and/or Background in a colour stop(s) of the gradient, then whenever the file is opened, these stop(s) will take on Photoshop's current fore/background colours.

For example, the first preset gradient is called "Foreground to Background" and the grey/black checker in the stops indicate fore/background colour and not a fixed colour.

Screen shot 2012-07-13 at 13.40.43.png

However, when you reopen a file that has such a gradient-filled Shape and inspect the gradient, the stops will misleadingly look like normal fixed colour stops despite really being fore/background stops.

Screen shot 2012-07-13 at 13.50.19.png

To make a fore/background stop a fixed colour stop, simply click the stop before saving the file.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: CS6 Gradient fills on shapes different after reloading?
              ribrob Level 1

Hi Conroy

That's exactly it! Thank you!

I never knew that could happen.

I can't actually think of a reason why as a user i would want that to happen though, so it's a bit odd that's how it works. Or am i missing the reason why it is this way?

Rob.

• 4. Re: CS6 Gradient fills on shapes different after reloading?
                conroy Level 5

Glad that's solved!

I can't see myself wanting gradients that may change every time a file is opened, but it may be a deliberate design decision by Adobe.

• 5. Re: CS6 Gradient fills on shapes different after reloading?
                  ribrob Level 1

I think it was probably an "untentional feature" than a design decision!

It's even more certainly a bug given that the shape isn't even selected when you open the file, but it still changes it's colour.

Compare that to the functionality when I pick the shape layer in the layer palette and then change my current colour then - the colour of the gradient is unaffected.

Similarly, if I select the shape with the Direct Selection Tool and change my current colour, it still doesn't change the colour of the shape.

I can only change the gradient colour it via the "Fill Type" palette.

Think i'll report it as a bug.

Rob

Rob.

• 6. Re: CS6 Gradient fills on shapes different after reloading?
                    Noel Carboni Level 8

Good call Conroy!

I'd definitely call that a bug.

-Noel

• 7. Re: CS6 Gradient fills on shapes different after reloading?
                      ribrob Level 1

Be interesting to know if the same thing happens in Windows, i'm using PS CS6 on Mac.

• 8. Re: CS6 Gradient fills on shapes different after reloading?
                        Noel Carboni Level 8

I can't reproduce it on Windows.  When I choose Foreground or Background for the gradient color stops, the color just loads in right then.  I never see the little icon inside that indicates there's some kind of ongoing connection to the foreground/background color.  Is there some trick to doing that?  Here's how I did it, and the result:

(click this to see the animation)

GradientColors.gif

I tested using Ps CS6 x64 on Windows 7 x64.  Saving the file and reopening it retained the colors I'd set, even though the foreground and background colors were different.

-Noel

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: CS6 Gradient fills on shapes different after reloading?
                          conroy Level 5

Noel Carboni wrote:

I can't reproduce it on Windows.  When I choose Foreground or Background for the gradient color stops, the color just loads in right then. 

Open the Gradient Editor. The first preset should be "Foreground to Background" with the checkered (representing the Foreground and Background swatches) stops as indicated in my first image above. Is that not happening for you?

You can create further F/B stops by Opt/Alt-dragging one of them. If you click a F/B stop it becomes a regular fixed-colour stop.

• 10. Re: CS6 Gradient fills on shapes different after reloading?
                            Noel Carboni Level 8

Nope.  All I get are solid colors...

GradientPreset.gif

Curious that there should be that difference between systems.

-Noel

• 11. Re: CS6 Gradient fills on shapes different after reloading?
                              conroy Level 5

Nope.  All I get are solid colors...

Please post a screenshot of your Gradient Editor when you open it and select "Foreground to Background" in the thumbnails, without clicking on any colour stops.

• 12. Re: CS6 Gradient fills on shapes different after reloading?
                                Noel Carboni Level 8

That's exactly what's in the last frame of the animation in post 10.  Click on it to see it.

-Noel

• 13. Re: CS6 Gradient fills on shapes different after reloading?
                                  conroy Level 5

Noel Carboni wrote:

That's exactly what's in the last frame of the animation in post 10.  Click on it to see it.

Ah! Sorry, my browser didn't show it as an animation without clicking it. I see what you mean about the Windows version being different to the Mac. Strange.

• 14. Re: CS6 Gradient fills on shapes different after reloading?
                                    twistednoggin

I tried this fix for the glitch, and I am using CS6 for Windows.  I can change the gradient colors if I click no fill before going back to gradient, and I can select the correct colors again (since it changed when I saved it), but THIS TIME I made sure to click the checkered boxes below the slide so that they turn into solid colors, not just foreground/background references.  Then I left that layer and corrected the others, saved it all, closed it, and immediately reopened it.  Again, it changed the freakin colors.  Some of them were custom colors and choosing them again makes smoke come out of my ears.  What else can I do?  My motor-part illustration cannot have mostly grey-blue rotors, then one in some hideous shade of fuschia.  I sent one to my boss before realizing this and he asked me why I would make rare earth magnets purple.  I didn't, photoshop did. 

How do I stop this from happening?  Please help

• 15. Re: CS6 Gradient fills on shapes different after reloading?
                                      twistednoggin Level 1

Wait - I think, perhaps, that clicking on the black and white stop boxes beneath the gradient slide does not work if you do it from the pen tool fill box at the top of the screen.  You can change the colors up there, but it wont save properly.  Does it only save if you click the same stop boxes, but only when we pull them up by double-clicking on the layer thumbnail?  Wow, what a headache... I'll be opening and clicking for hours.  Can't adobe release some sort of patch to make this unnecessary, or at least to make it so that the same control works regardless of how you open it?

Lord, I hope getting to those boxes through the layer menu, instead, fixes this.  I can't keep fixing the same colors over and over again.  This is hours of unbillable work, now.