3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2012 3:28 AM by Rick Gerard

Brackets over text in layers in duplicated composition, original is fine.

New0011

So I duplicated a composition and everything was fine. I don't know when and where it went wrong, but instead of saying all I can, which isn't much, I think a comparison would work quite well.

Original composition (everything's fine.)

http://oi50.tinypic.com/v621zb.jpg

Duplicated (brackets over layers, lighting doesn't work on character.)

http://oi49.tinypic.com/143lt02.jpg

What went wrong? How? How do I fix it? Is that the reason the lighting won't work? Thank you.

• 1. Re: Brackets over text in layers in duplicated composition, original is fine.
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I still don't know enough about your project to help. It sounds like everything was working fine in the duplicate and suddenly it stopped working.

If you duplicated your composition in the Project Panel then you have a duplicate and it will be exactly like the original. If you then worked on some part of the composition and the lighting stopped working you've turned something off or made some other changes.

Pressing the a key twice will bring up a layer's 3D materials properties. Make sure that accepts lights and cast shadows is set the way you want them.

Without seeing the properties of your 3D layers and your lights it is impossible for me to do anything but guess...

• 2. Re: Brackets over text in layers in duplicated composition, original is fine.
            New0011 Level 1

Okay so after duplicating the duplicate brackets no longer exsist, but the lighting does not work. How do I get into the 3d settings for the lighting or the layers?

Idk if this helps, but here's the original with the ambiant light I have turned off.

robertbad3.jpg

Here's the duplicate with the ambiant light off, the character is not recognized as either a 3D object or something else, but either way is not lighted.

robertbad4.jpg

• 3. Re: Brackets over text in layers in duplicated composition, original is fine.
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The brackets shown in your first screenshots have nothing to do with lighting or layers. Then just indicate that you're looking at the the Layer Name (brackets visible) or Source Name (brackets not visible) Check the Column Name. Change by clicking the column name.

Screen Shot 2012-07-14 at 3.23.16 AM.png Screen Shot 2012-07-14 at 3.23.28 AM.png

How did you duplicate your composition?

The proper way to do this is to go to the Project Panel, Select a composition in the project panel and choose Edit>Duplicate or use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl/Cmnd + D.

Screen Shot 2012-07-14 at 3.14.35 AM.png

If that's what you did and your lights don't work then I need to see your project. You don't need to include the footage.