12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2012 10:49 AM by the_wine_snob

Green Frames in Exported Files

mikeyjray Level 1

I have noticed, since moving to DSLR 1080p video, that my workflow ends up with lots of seemingly random green frames, and Premiere Pro crashes a lot more.

My system is a brand new system, and I have never had this happen before, on either my old system (running CS3 and SD video).

I have had the green frames appear in 3 different cases, and often, all of them simultaneously: when scrubbing or previewing my timeline, when exporting to a move (mostly I use 264.BlueRay, but it happens with other file types too), and when trying to cross with After Effects (both, importing a timeline into AE, as well as importing an AE project into PP).

I have tried clearing my media chache files and database, changing my memory settings (allocating anywhere from 8-13GB for PP), optimizing for both memory and performance, changing my playback quality, re-installing both PP and AE, changing the Renderer to both "Software Only" and "GPU Accelartion", and restarting.

It is almost like the link manager is not linking to the source file properly, because I can place another clip in the timeline in place of the "green one", and that works, as well, if I manage to export the clip, I can replace the original with the newly exported one, and that works.  I believe this is also the case in regards to the issues I have had trying to work with AE, as it seems as though I am creating too many cross links and it just doesn't like it.  Finally, when I view my task manager, sometimes the "Adobe DT32 Server.exe *32" is using a HUGE amount of memory, just under 1GB itself...this is when PP tends to crash the most.

It is totally possible that I have missed something, or my constant changing of settings isn't helping the situation, or my lack of knowledge of the "technical" end of PP is my downfall, so I am willing to take any recommendations and/or feedback on how to fix this...it is happening with all my projects and is a real pain to try to work around.

I have created a short screen capture video to show what I mean.  The first bit shows the files working in the preview window, but when I overlay the exported .m4v file, you will see that there are green frames exported instead of the proper video (and, as I mentioned, sometimes this just happens when scrubbing and previewing, even without exporting). http://screencast.com/t/AQMWLUC2x

Thanks!

System Specs

- Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

- Adobe CS5.5 Master Collection

- i7-2600k 3.4Ghz

- 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM

- 240GB SSD for OS and Programs

- 2TB HDD strictly for video

- 350GB HDD scratch disk

- 1000W power supply

- NVidia GTX570 Video Card

- 2 24" Acer monitors

• 1. Re: Green Frames in Exported Files
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Try some different kind of source footage.

• 2. Re: Green Frames in Exported Files
            mikeyjray Level 1

Unfortunately, it is happening with a few different projects I'm working on, and sometimes it works, so it doesn't appear to be the individual files (as sometimes they work, and sometimes they do the green frames).

The footage is coming from the same camera (a Nikon D5100), but it is from all different cards, and I have even tried storing the files on different physical drives on the computer, but the issue still arises.

• 3. Re: Green Frames in Exported Files
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Refresh my memory, please. Does the Nikon D5100 shoot with MJPEG CODEC (usually in AVI format), like earlier Nikons did, or some other format/CODEC?

Did you install the Nikon software, even if you do not plan on editing with it?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Green Frames in Exported Files
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you first place a video on the timeline, before you do any work at all, do you have a red line over the timeline?

• 5. Re: Green Frames in Exported Files
                  mikeyjray Level 1

@Bill - the D5100 files are all .MOV files, and no - I have not yet installed the Nikon software - would this make a difference do you think?

@John - no, there is not a red line, but a yellow one.  I have also tried forcing a rendering of the timeline, even with the raw footage (ie. no effects) and this doesn't seem to make a difference, at least when exporting (as that is what I did in the screen capture I provided in the OP)

• 6. Re: Green Frames in Exported Files
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you.

It looks like the camera shoots H.264 full-AVCHD, and a couple other similar modes.

If you shot in the full-AVCHD mode, 1920 x 1080, and us that footage in a matching Sequence, there should be no red line above the Clips (sounds like what you have), and the footage should edit just fine on an adequately fast system, providing that you have copied the full folder structure from your camera's card to your system.

You should not need to install any Nikon software to use this footage. That was just in case your camera used MJPEG CODEC, like many other Nikons do/did. For MJPEG, one often finds that they need their camera mfgr's. exact, tweaked version of MJPEG, and that is often installed only with other software from the camera's utility disc. Not your case.

Also, the Nikon AVCHD is not the only footage type displaying the problems.

In my mind, we have ruled out a lot of possibilities, but that does not address your problem - random green Frames.

Sometimes, odd Frames can be a display driver issue, but yours are showing up in the output files too.

You have tried with both MPE hardware ON and OFF.

It does sound like ADL is not doing "its thing" properly, all of the time, but unfortunately, I am at a loss, as to what could be the cause.

Thanks for taking the time to answer a few questions, and also for doing a very good post. Wish that I had some ideas on how to test, or suggestions on what the cause might be. As there are not tons of others, shouting "me too," it seems that the issue is either specific to your installations, or your system (seems like you have a more than adequate system, but perhaps Harm, or Bill G. will spot something, that I missed).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Green Frames in Exported Files
                      jasonvp Level 3

Bill Hunt wrote:

If you shot in the full-AVCHD mode, 1920 x 1080, and us that footage in a matching Sequence, there should be no red line above the Clips (sounds like what you have), and the footage should edit just fine on an adequately fast system, providing that you have copied the full folder structure from your camera's card to your system.

Actually, I'm seeing green frames in my AVCHD editing, in the Program monitor quite a bit.  This on CS6 on a Mac, but I don't think that matters.  There seems to be some pretty severe AVCHD editing issues with CS6, and this is one of them.

I haven't yet figured out a work-around other than: stop using CS6. :-(

jas

• 8. Re: Green Frames in Exported Files
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        The footage is coming from the same camera

That's why I suggested testing footage from a different camera, preferably something that shoots in a different format.

• 9. Re: Green Frames in Exported Files
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

This on CS6 on a Mac, but I don't think that matters.

It might.  I haven't yet seen this issue on the PC.

• 10. Re: Green Frames in Exported Files
                            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just on a side note the 5100 shoots H.264/MPEG-4 in a mov wrapper. Its not avchd.

Just a wild guess: change the extention .mov to .mpg see if this will work any better.

• 11. Re: Green Frames in Exported Files
                              YCC:-) Level 1

For testing there's a file from my thread on dpx round trip, a link to a Canon DSLR h264 MOV if it's any use.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/74780302/MVI_0907.MOV

• 12. Re: Green Frames in Exported Files
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you Ann.

The review site, that I looked at, said MOV with AVC/H.264 CODEC. Guess that they got that wrong.

Appreciated,

Hunt

[Edit] Just checked the Nikon Site, and you are correct - no mention of "AVC"

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt