4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2012 8:24 PM by ignatius13

newbie problem with new objects and tools.

ignatius13

in chapter 4 of the after effects essential training series from Lynda.com in the section about controlling animation with the pick whip. when he applies the null object the red bar immediately populates (correct usage?) the timeline to the right. when i apply the null object it's hidden to the left, under all the layer info, and i need to drag it out into view.

ive found that whenever i have a problem, e.g., im using a tool and nothing is happening, it always comes down to this same thing: the layer is not with everything else and i need to drag it out into view.

not only am i new to mac, but im only marginally literate and a total newb to anything more advanced than iphoto, any advice would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: newbie problem with new objects and tools.
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm not understanding what you are asking.

If you have a layer in the timeline, a null, and the parenting column is visible you simply click on the pickwhip next to the layer and drag it to the name of the null layer. The Parenting box now says that Layer 1 is connected to Null 1.

Now, when you move the null, the layer will move.

• 2. Re: newbie problem with new objects and tools.
            ignatius13 Level 1

Rick Gerard wrote:

I'm not understanding what you are asking.

If you have a layer in the timeline, a null, and the parenting column is visible you simply click on the pickwhip next to the layer and drag it to the name of the null layer. The Parenting box now says that Layer 1 is connected to Null 1.

Now, when you move the null, the layer will move.

i understand what they do and how to set them up.

my question is more specific, but also applies more generally to other tools and layers. when Ian creates his null layer in the video (as well as other layers ive seen him create) the red bar that represents his null layer immediately appears in the timeline with the begining of the red bar at the left end of the work area. it is fully visible. when i create one the file shows up in the list of layers on the panel to the left of the time line, but it is not visible in the comp window and the red bar is hidden to the left side of the visible timeline to where you have to click its right end and drag it out from behind the panel on the left.

this has happened with other layers ive created using other tools and before i figured out what to look for it was very frustrating. now, whenever i can't find something, or a tool that im using isnt doing anyhting (besides creating more and more layers) ive learned to look and see if theyre just hidden. it seems like it's probably a setting. but clearly, something is different: he creates a null layer and it appears in the timeline, and mine appear slid to the left.

• 3. Re: newbie problem with new objects and tools.
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try resetting your preferences. You have deselected Create Layers at Composition Start Time. Check the box and AE will be back to normal.

Screen Shot 2012-07-14 at 4.33.38 PM.png

• 4. Re: newbie problem with new objects and tools.
                ignatius13 Level 1

that sounded like exACTly the sort of answer i thought it would be. unfortunately, when i looked, it was already selected.

one thing is that it has conditioned me to be aware of where things are on the timeline. thanks though