5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2012 9:02 AM by MXMXVR

Applying photoshop filters in After effects layers!

MXMXVR Level 1

Hi. Is it possible applying those photoshop filters into After effects layers? I thought the filter worked like layers, so when I import the photoshop files to AE I could drag the filter and apply it on a movie layer! I didn't work! Is it possible? thks!

PS: I'm using Production premium CS5.5!

• 1. Re: Applying photoshop filters in After effects layers!
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

Filters are not dragged but applied; please elaborate on the issue, maybe post a screenshot with the proper Panels visible.

so when I import the photoshop files to AE

If you are talking about something in AE why ask in the Photoshop Forum?

• 2. Re: Applying photoshop filters in After effects layers!
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Are you actually working in After Effects, in a Comp, or are you Exporting the Comp to an AV file, and Opening that in Photoshop?

I am unclear on what you have, and even which host app. you are trying to work in, as c.pfaffenbichler seems to be, as well.

More detail, and an exact workflow would be very useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Applying photoshop filters in After effects layers!
              MXMXVR Level 1

Well, I'm reading the book ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS CS5 CLASSROOM IN A BOOK; chapter 6 (animating layers): it's about importing PSD files to After effects compositions! I was thinking about creating scenarios to a movie using PSD files.  When I apply a layer style to a picture in Photoshop CS5, save this picture, and import this picture to AE it comes likes 2 files: a composition ( picture + layer stile) and a picture without the layer style. I'm gonna use the very same words of the book.

Though layer styles are referred to as effects in Photoshop, they behave more like blending modes in AE...Another diference is that each layer style blends directly with the underlying layers in the composition, whereas an effect is rendered on the layer to which it's applied, the result of which then interacts with the underlying layers as a whole!

Well, I have tried to apply a layer style on a movie file of my composition but it doesn't work cuz the layer style doesn't come alone, it comes with the picture!

So I have figured the following possibility! Take a look in this!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-T5L62G9WLio/UALdatCbrmI/AAAAAAAAAyI/7hQJK_drigg/s1600/Screen19.j pg

What if I apply a filter in this shot. Will the filter be applied only on the statue or it would be applied on the checkerboard background too? If the second possibility is possible I could apply this image above a movie and use the filter on it, couldn't I? After all the checkerboard background is transparent! Got it?

• 4. Re: Applying photoshop filters in After effects layers!
                conroy Level 5

MXMXVR wrote:

... I have figured the following possibility! Take a look in this!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-T5L62G9WLio/UALdatCbrmI/AAAAAAAAAyI/7hQJK_dr igg/s1600/Screen19.jpg

What if I apply a filter in this shot. Will the filter be applied only on the statue or it would be applied on the checkerboard background too? If the second possibility is possible I could apply this image above a movie and use the filter on it, couldn't I? After all the checkerboard background is transparent! Got it?

The checkerboard Transparency Grid isn't a layer of any kind, and it's not part of a document. It is only a visual aid of Ps, letting the user see where the composite of the currently visible layers is completely or partially transparent.

• 5. Re: Applying photoshop filters in After effects layers!
                  MXMXVR Level 1

Hmmm, I'm gonna use a White board picture! I'll use opacity 25%! I'll use a filter on it! Let's see if it works!