37 Replies Latest reply: Jul 18, 2012 11:20 AM by Kibbermand RSS

Can only open CS 6 once, then I have to reboot

Kibbermand

New strong and fast pc (240 GB SSD, 32 GB RAM etc) and W7 Pro and CS6:

Can only open CS 6 one time. Next time I can not - have to reboot before I can again.( Can open Bridge everytime I want.)

• 1. Re: Can only open CS 6 once, then I have to reboot
          Curt Y Community Member

Are you getting a error message?

Is the 240 gb your only drive?  May be a little light if you do large images.

CS6 reqires a good video card and up to date driver to work well.

• 2. Re: Can only open CS 6 once, then I have to reboot
            Kibbermand Community Member

No I do not get any error messages. No I have 2 x 3 TB for storing pictures....... the 240 SSD is only for programs.

It just do not open - only after rebote.

• 3. Re: Can only open CS 6 once, then I have to reboot
              Curt Y Community Member

Might take a look at the OS Event Log to see if there are any errors.

• 4. Re: Can only open CS 6 once, then I have to reboot

I have tryed, but can not find out to go in - W7 is new for me, it is a totally new machine, just bought - and I am only end-user in the IT-area - how do I go in and look - the path ? - and what do I look after. I knew how to look in XP, but it never helped - even I had very few problems in many years with XP and CS3.

• 5. Re: Can only open CS 6 once, then I have to reboot
                  Curt Y Community Member

Easy was is to use Help file and type in Event Log.  It will give you a link to get there.

• 6. Re: Can only open CS 6 once, then I have to reboot

I think I succeed to go in and there was some faults, but what do you want ? - The names of the faults ?

-----

"Easy was is to use Help file and type in Event Log.  It will give you a link to get there"

Thanks, but sorry,  I do not have a clue what you mean - as mentioned I am only end-user, not it-man. I used a pc-supporter to start my new machines up, I usually do, and then it usually runs for 5 years without problems.

• 7. Re: Can only open CS 6 once, then I have to reboot

But if you will give me a path to it I will do it: Do this > then this> and so on,....... never tryed what you wrote, sorry.

• 8. Re: Can only open CS 6 once, then I have to reboot
                        Curt Y Community Member

Use the OS Help file, type in Event Log, click on it and it will take you there.

On left are categories so click on them and look for warnings and errors.

Quitting for night.  Good luck.

• 9. Re: Can only open CS 6 once, then I have to reboot

Thanks, and good night to you, but I do need a path - do not know what the OS Help file is and how to get to it  - I write this  if anybody is awake ?

• 10. Re: Can only open CS 6 once, then I have to reboot

I have in the mean time also tryed my brand new laptop = also 240SSD - 16 GB RAM (32GB for the other pc mentioned above) and 750 GB for pictures (3 TB for the other pc) , and Ivy bridge = The samme happens = Can start CS6 one time, but after closing down or saving a picture, I can not, unless I reboote - exactly same problem ?

• 11. Re: Can only open CS 6 once, then I have to reboot
                              Curt Y Community Member

What is with this path thing?  Click on Start and then Click on Help.  Type in Event Log.  Click on Start Event Log.  Probably other ways to do it but this works for me.

You have set both computer up incorrectly I presume.   In Performance you need at least 2 gigs of RAM left for the OS.  Where do you have the scratch files set?

• 12. Re: Can only open CS 6 once, then I have to reboot

Thanks for the path - I have had a pro PC-supporter to set it up, - it is brand new PC.s -  and he did the same things with both pc.s and the first problem was, that the laptop got problems because of an update from Microsoft - an update which went "in" (pardon my English) on the laptop, but was not yet on the stationary pc, when he did it there, so you can say, that the problem was from Microsoft or from others.

This was solved by cleaning the laptop, and installing again and then the update AFTER  CS6 and plug ins..

But now a new problem, sorry to say.

As mentioned I have 32 GB RAM, so I do not think I miss something, and I have to trust that the pc-supporter has done it right - my money to him was valid (but he is at holliday now)

Today, later, I will contact Adobe, but thanks.

• 13. Re: Can only open CS 6 once, then I have to reboot

Adobe gave me 2 hours telephone support today and a lot of  things was tryed - I can not describe all those things, I am not an it-exsperienced man special not in W7, which is totally new for me, but he guided me into the "holy things" in the computer and here we tryed a lot,  but the button line is, that they could not help, but they did their best, and I am happy for the trying, and at the end  I got a huge note with a lot of other things to try that will take hours and hours if I shall do all the things, so I start now.

• 14. Re: Can only open CS 6 once, then I have to reboot
                                    acresofgreen Community Member

I haven't a clue what your problem is, but it is strange how a "pro PC supporter" managed to mess up both a new laptop and a new desktop PC. Blaming problems with both computers on Microsoft updates sounds like an excuse to me.  I assume that most of the Windows users here keep their PCs updated (me included), but we're not experiencing your problems.

• 15. Re: Can only open CS 6 once, then I have to reboot

Yes, you cold be very right, and perhaps I should not have paid him,  but I do not think you have read what I wrote - there is a difference in what you are writing and what I wrote.

Trying again: ......and he did the same things with both pc.s and the first problem was, that the laptop got problems because of an update from Microsoft - an update which went "in" (pardon my English) on the laptop, but was not yet on the stationary pc, when he did it there the day before, so you can say, that the problem was from Microsoft or from others.

This was solved by cleaning the laptop, and installing again and then the update AFTER  CS6 and plug ins..like on the stationary pc.

So everything worked if you installed before the update, and then update, so perhaps very few have experienced it - it is a totally and huge new installation with 9 plug ins.

-------------------------

But now a new problem, sorry to say, so just forget that.

• 16. Re: Can only open CS 6 once, then I have to reboot

Kibbermand wrote:

So everything worked if you installed before the update, and then update, so perhaps very few have experienced it -

I don't understand the logic of that  - why should few have experienced it?  Loads of people update before and after installing CS6 - it depends on when the Windows update is made available.

it is a totally and huge new installation with 9 plug ins.

Did you mention these 9 plug-ins before?  A plug-in could be causing your current problem.  What plug-ins are they?

• 17. Re: Can only open CS 6 once, then I have to reboot

"I don't understand the logic of that  - why should few have experienced it?  Loads of people update before and after installing CS6 - it depends on when the Windows update is made available"

I think not  there are not millions, that at thatprecise  moment installed exactly all that with exactly all those plug ins, but please let it be, I can see you do not understand, or it is my english -. LET IT BE

-----

5 plug ins from NIK - 3 plug ins from Hemi software - and 1 plug in from Topaz (did run fine on the 2  old pc.s (XP Pro and CS 3 extended). I am about for the time being to uninstall the plug ins - takes one by one, rebote and check

• 18. Re: Can only open CS 6 once, then I have to reboot

Kibbermand wrote:

5 plug ins from NIK - 3 plug ins from Hemi software - and 1 plug in from Topaz (did run fine on the 2  old pc.s (XP Pro and CS 3 extended). I am about for the time being to uninstall the plug ins - takes one by one, rebote and check

let us know the results of your troubleshooting

• 19. Re: Can only open CS 6 once, then I have to reboot

Thank you very much.

I have just removed one of the software, did not help, but then I discovered a funny thing - the program Silver Efex (1)  runs, but it is NOT on the list on programs where you can remove them (as the others are), but this can be a certain explanation, because the program was initially only for 32 bit, but then NIK software gave a solution to run it on 64 bit (before they upgraded to a new program Silver Efex 2), and perhaps the pc-supporter did it wrong - I will search for the guide to install it from NIK, just a moment, please, because I think he has done it wrong (just a guess)

• 20. Re: Can only open CS 6 once, then I have to reboot

Here is the guide from NIK, but I think he has done something wrong since the program is not on the list, but the program is to use:

The guide follows here:

- download and unzip this file:

http://ftp.niksoftware.com/Support/CS6_win/SEP_CS6_win7_64.zip

- if you already have a folder  ../../Adobe/CS6/Plugins/Nik Software, then copy the unzipped sub folder named Silver Efex Pro Complete into this folder.

- now relaunch Photoshop, open an image and actviate the software

- if you DO NOT  have a folder  ../../Adobe/CS6/Plugins/Nik Software, please create this folder and copy BOTH unzipped subfolders named Selective Tool and Silver Efex Pro Complete into this folder.

- now relaunch Photoshop, open an image and activate the software

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And I did activate it, and it works (but only one time as mentioned)

How do I remove this, when it is not in the programs = On the list on programs to remove  - Sorry  I have to write it again: I am not an it-man, and W7 is complete new for me, so I need it  step by step

THANKS

• 21. Re: Can only open CS 6 once, then I have to reboot

I don't have any NIK software installiert, and I was hoping that someone who did would reply.  Since you don't have an uninstaller, I would simply reverse the instructions by moving the unzipped sub folder named Silver Efex Pro out of the .../Plugins/Nik Software folder. 

The best way to troubleshoot (I think you are doing this anyway) is to remove ALL the plugins and see if that solves the problem.  Once your Photoshop is working normally with no plugins, add them back one by one, testing each time, until the problem reappears.  Then you have an idea of what plugin is the culprit.  It might be a certain combinations of plugins that are getting in each other's way, so that is something to test as well.

• 23. Re: Can only open CS 6 once, then I have to reboot

Could not find it - I can go to the C-disc - then Adobe and then what to get the plug in ???? (have tryed a lot here, but this map does not show up, I think it is hidden under something)

• 24. Re: Can only open CS 6 once, then I have to reboot

Try looking for a NIK folder here:

C:\program files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 bit)\Plug-Ins\

• 25. Re: Can only open CS 6 once, then I have to reboot

Thanks: Now all plug ins are cleaned and a newCS6  installation (on the laptop, I still need the stationary), and CS 6 runs now, but it can not update because of PC Internet Security (the last was Adobes answer to me, and they are right I think, so I have contacted PC-tools and they send a mail how to do)

Now I have to put one plug in after the other in and reboote every time and check and check before I install a new plug in, and some day we will se, what caused it, I think, and then I can start all over again with a clean instllation, if the plug in at the same time caused a bad installation of CS6.

When I find the faulty plug-in (if I do) who has to pay for all this time....... for you, for me, for Adobe, for my pc-supporter

• 26. Re: Can only open CS 6 once, then I have to reboot
                                                          Noel Carboni Community Member

In my opinion, any security suite that gets in the way of your doing normal operations on your computer isn't good technology.  There are those that don't (Avast! for example).

People often look for "who to blame" with integration issues, but understand that we all take on the responsibility to integrate things into our own computers and make it all work.  Thus, if you want it to all work together, it's you who has to pay in learning, time, money, effort, whatever.  That's the price we pay for getting to use mass-produced software that cost millions of dollars to develop.

-Noel

• 27. Re: Can only open CS 6 once, then I have to reboot

I agree with you in your considerations about PC-tools, and maybe I cancel it and try the free AVG? - or any other suggestions ?? - I chose PC-tools because a test showed it was the best, but I know there are different tests, that not show the same.

Not 100% agree with your other considerations - I mean the lack of balance in this - but this is a long discussion, which I currently not have the time, but I want to take it later

For example. I remember in the beginning with XP, where many felt as unpaid laborers for Bill Gates, when we sent the MS error reports on everything, including something that perhaps should have checked before sending the system in the street, and perhaps there are still something to do here, either for MS or for 3. part programs

------

However, let me take an example of a car - an example that supports your point of view, although this is a personel fault

A new car had come on the market and would be very cheap on fuel (it was in the really old days when we used the choker) and a sweet elderly lady bought the car because it was cheap on fuel ..

She could, however, demonstrate that it spent enormous amount of gasoline, and the workshop spent hours adjusting it, and she got it again.

But she came back - it used still plenty of gasoline.

Foreman decided to go for a drive with her to see how she ran, and they sat in the car with her at the wheel, the foreman on the side.

The first thing she did was to pull the choke out fully and hang her purse there while she said it was a really nice thing with this button for her bag.

• 28. Re: Can only open CS 6 once, then I have to reboot

Kibbermand wrote:

maybe I cancel it and try the free AVG? - or any other suggestions ??

I already suggested the one I use (Avast!), and it has a free antivirus version.  Personally I think it's the best package.

Let me summarize why I said what I did.  I wasn't trying to be snarky, and I'm not being critical of you - I'm just a realist.

• You bought a computer from ??? (not Microsoft or Adobe or any software company).  Chances are you minimized the cost.
                                                              • The video card inside the computer is likely made by someone different than the computer manufacturer.
                                                              • You bought an OS from Microsoft.
                                                              • You configured your OS in your own ways and installed other software.
                                                              • You bought a graphics application from Adobe.
                                                              • You bought / downloaded 3rd party plug-ins from different companies.

Now all these things have to work together.

When they don't work together acceptably well, as they do for many people, do you think it's the fault of any one of the suppliers?

Arguably no one on the planet has the exact combination of things you do, configured as you do.

-Noel

• 29. Re: Can only open CS 6 once, then I have to reboot

Troubles in paradise:

After 2½ hours help again from Adobe (2 hours yesterday) we cleaned alle the plug ins, then CS 6, and then CS was running as it should, and he also checked that no fault was made in the "holy" things when installed (I have not the knowledge of that so he helped me to check it by telephone)

Then I started to install the plug ins, but the very first - CEP .4.0 - the same thing happened !!!!

So it can not run with plug ins I must say, and the CEP 4.0 is made after W7 (but could run on XP, but very slow)

My former pc.s - both run all my plug ins in CS 3(XP Pro 4 GB RAM only - the new is 32 GB and 16 GB and Ivy Bridge and very fast processor and video card OK  for gamers),OK  CEP 4 was very slow on my former pc.s ,, but it worked.like all the other plug ins, but here it could not run one single plug in

All my plug ins are much more expensive than CS6, and I make my pictures using those plug ins.-

Of course I will write to NIK software, but hey.

......... it could run on XP  with the same plug ins in CS3 -...... it runs on other PC.s with W7, so what can NIK software say = I think nothing,  and it was totally new unused pc.s it was installed on - never used before, brand new, so what can I do,??

And you can not do fault when installing the NIK software CEP 4 - you are "carried" through the process, and just has to say yes and yes, then it is installed.

• 30. Re: Can only open CS 6 once, then I have to reboot

You installed one plug-in - which is apparently the one that's been causing you all the problems - and by seeing that failure you leap to the conclusion that you cannot run any plug-ins?  I don't follow that logic.  I run plug-ins just fine in Photoshop CS6, and I know a lot of others do too.

What is CEP?  Is it specifically advertised compatible with Photoshop CS6?

Just because a plug-in could run with a different version of Photoshop on a different operating system doesn't mean they've done everything right for Photoshop CS6 on Windows 7.

I know you'd like to have Adobe's help here but you really do need to follow up with the creator of the plug-in.  The problem seems clearly to be in that software.

-Noel

• 31. Re: Can only open CS 6 once, then I have to reboot

Noel Carboni wrote:

What is CEP?  Is it specifically advertised compatible with Photoshop CS6?

I think CEP is supposed to be Nik's Color Efex Pro

• 32. Re: Can only open CS 6 once, then I have to reboot

In the mean time I have tryed another plug in = it does not work

CEP 4.0 is NIK software Color Efex Pro 4.0

Please read my mail again =  It workes on other pc.s with W7 and CS6  as I understand ???? can some chime in here who has tryed it ???, and CEP 4.0 is made after W7

-------------------------------

But I must say,Noel,  that I would be so very happy if you were right, otherwise it is the very expensive pc.s  and I have to deliver them back (12 days today after I bought them, and about 40 hours is used to transfer from the old ones with help from a not inexpensive pc-supporter, and I have payed him )??

• 33. Re: Can only open CS 6 once, then I have to reboot

Kibbermand wrote:

Then I started to install the plug ins, but the very first - CEP .4.0 - the same thing happened !!!!

So it can not run with plug ins I must say, and the CEP 4.0 is made after W7 (but could run on XP, but very slow)

As Noel pointed out, just because one plugin caused the problem, it doesn't mean that all plugins won't work. What happens if you uninstall CEP (so that your PS is working normally again) and install some other filter (e.g. the Topaz one)?

Do you have the same problem on both your new laptop and on your desktop PC?  If you do, that is too much to be a coincidence, and I would deduce that there is something wrong with the way your PC support guy set up both systems. Maybe it is the security software, I don't know.

In any case, you shouldn't be having any problems with a NIK plugin.  They are very popular, so thousands of people would be complaining if there was a problem with them.

• 34. Re: Can only open CS 6 once, then I have to reboot

Our messages crossed, acr., and yes I trust also NIK software, and I love their programs very much.

Latest:(some stuff here deleted out and corrected)

Still working on the laptop and I must apologize to Noel and you because it WAS CEP 4.0, which was the cause, not the other, they are in now.

As mentioned you can not make mistakes when you install plug ins, but I did differently was that I - when I was in CS6 of the concrete plug installed in the Nik software automatically creates a so-called "selective tool" so I crossed it out before I closed the program (I've never done before, it was not necessary), and now it is only CEP 4.0, which means that I can not open CS 6 without restarting. with CEP 4, but I can with the others when CEP 4 is deleted/uninstalled.

Next step is to do everything the same on the desktop, but the "good news" is that CEP 4 is not making havoc throughout CS6 installation, you just uninstall it and then run the rest, and it was actually the only have been necessary, as it looks now.

So now I will go to the stationary

• 35. Re: Can only open CS 6 once, then I have to reboot

And it worked - I did not have to uninstall all the plug ins and CS 6 as I did with the laptop - I only uninstalled CEP 4.0 and now it works.

I will write to NIK software tomorrow, even there are still some I have been in contact with who says it could still be the brand new Ivy bridge that needs an upgrade/update (not made yet) to cooperate with this CEP 4.0, because others can get it to work,  but we will see.

----

Comments are still interesting for me, so please feel free to do that, I would be happy to read them, but for the time being I say thank you very much to all who has contributed to this, it was very good to read comments, so you did not feel you were alone. THANKS

• 36. Re: Can only open CS 6 once, then I have to reboot

I am glad that this story has a happy end.  It's too bad that you had to spend so much time and effort on troubleshooting the problem, but sometimes it can't be avoided.  Let us know if you learn anything else (e.g. about the Ivy Bridge drivers).

• 37. Re: Can only open CS 6 once, then I have to reboot

Thank you acresofgreen, I will come back, and yes it has been a very time consuming problem, but if the pc-supporter had checked it properly while he installed it, it would not have taken so long time.I really hope NIK can solve it.

I simply love their programs, and I do not think I have made many  pictures in the past few years without going in to CEP 3.0 = Now CEP 4.0

I have still 2 days left to use my regret (the 14 days rule when buying from the Internet) about the 2 pc.s, if it is the Ivy Bridge, but I really do not hope, because then I shall start all over again, and that is too much.