Well, what does "I'm not running any other software"? Does that include firewalls, virus scanners or otehr security tools? If one of those is involved, they still could block the pertinent port/ socket connection. Aside from that, verify that you network configuration is properly configured as is your devices. This stuff uses TCP and if the pertient protocol handlers are bent out of place by some odd network conficuration or network device driver, this may influence things. Also monitor the stuff with Sysinternals' Process Monitor to find out at which point it fails...
Ah, I beg pardon for the general statement. I meant to say that I'm not running any other Adobe software (or any other RAM-sucking programs).
I am using Microsoft Security Essentials. I've checked through its history, and been unable to find anything refering to Adobe activity.
Could you please clarify what you meant by 'network configuration is properly configured as is your devices'? I changed my network's channel number a few months ago, which has only gone to improve my connectivity. I have no other custom configurations.
I've just downloaded the Process Monitor and will run it when I've got After Effects up again. Will post back with details once I get them.
Upon re-installing After Effects, I've just noticed something:
Master Collection CS6 gets divided amongst two folders in my (C:) disk, despite me only specifying one during the installation process.
I've specified Program Files (x86) as my installation folder, but about half of the Adobe applications (including After Effects) get installed on Program Files in the same directory. I've dragged and drop them all into the same folder (on Program Files), but am still getting the same error.
I'm having a little difficulty understanding how the Process Monitor works and how to read its information.
As soon as I opened AE, I got hundreds of activity lines (even after I applied a filter to only show AfterFX.exe processes). After I tried to apply the effect, it gave me several hundred more. I'm not even sure if I can post a screenshot of this, as it's easily 20-pages worth of processes every second. There's no evident indicator that something is wrong. About a third of the lines say 'NAME NOT FOUND' under the 'Result' column.