14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2013 3:33 PM by rapidlaunch Branched to a new discussion.

Adobe PDF options

community help Level 1

This question was posted in response to the following article: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WSa285fff53dea4f8617383751001ea8cb3f-70c0a.h tml

• 1. Re:  Adobe PDF options
          Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

I believe the entry for "Embed Page Thumbnails" is wrong. Based on what I have read at planetpdf.com, this command:

"Creates a thumbnail preview for each page being exported, or one thumbnail for each spread if the Spreads option is selected. These thumbnail images are then displayed in the PDF Pages pane as a preview of the document."

This does not have to do with the display in InDesign shown in the Open or Place command.

In fact, it doesn't make sense that the Open command is mentioned since InDesign doesn't open PDF files.

I would love to know if I am wrong in this information.

• 2. Re:  Adobe PDF options
            Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I found an older Creative Suite CS2 Print Guide which I think has an answer for you. The thumbnails are NOT for InDesign, they are for display in Acrobat. Here's what it says:

"Embed Page Thumbnails. Creates a thumbnail image for each page being exported, or one thumbnail for each spread, if the Spreads option is selected in the General panel. Acrobat 5 and 6 [and all later versions of Acrobat] automatically generate page thumbnails, so this option is most useful for Acrobat 4, where deselecting this option can reduce the file size."

• 3. Re:  Adobe PDF options
              Manish-Sharma Employee Moderator

It says InDesign Open and Place command , because in InDesign "Open a File " window if we select the "All files" it will show the PDF files as well , if we try to open it then the error  "The File Format is not supported ....."  will be prompted.

• 4. Re:  Adobe PDF options
                Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Manish,

Sandee's comment is about the PDF Export options on the General panel. These are what's written into the PDF file. Originally, you needed to do that option either in Acrobat or when exported out of InDesign because Acrobat didn't automatically build thumbnails for its Pages panel (that is Acrobat's display). You have to request to save them with the file. With Acrobat 5 or later, Acrobat automatically builds such a thumbnail. That's why the option is usually unchecked in InDesign, it's not necessary. In fact, since there is almost no one using such an old version of Acrobat, one could say that it's a command that could be removed.

• 5. Re:  Adobe PDF options
                  Manish-Sharma Employee Moderator

I apologies for going off the track , my prime focus went on the Sandee's line that's why replied that :-

"

This does not have to do with the display in InDesign shown in the Open or Place command.

In fact, it doesn't make sense that the Open command is mentioned since InDesign doesn't open PDF files."

I think what you are saying makes sense but still there are people which uses Acrobat 4 all the time for compatibility, removing a function they don't use is not fair for the small minority that may be doing so.

and we are keeping the focus on the Acrobat but not all the PDF viewer are same , Acrobat automatically builds such a thumbnail but other PDF viewer may still be dependent on the PDF thumbnail information to display it.

Also it helps from a performance standpoint if the image is already there, then Acrobat doesn't need to render it when you open pages it just loads in the preview rather than creating its own which may take a while.

• 6. Re:  Adobe PDF options
                    MJFarmgirl

For "crop image data to frames", it would be helpful to have absolute clarification about what a "frame" is. It seems, looking through the help files, that "frame" references any vector object or any "container" boxes that have the little control handles you use to manipulate the area content can inhabit.

Web pages such as this maybe help answer my question:

http://indesignsecrets.com/indesigns-three-kinds-of-frames-text-graphic-and-unassigned.php

I'm sure there are other ways I can confirm what I assumed, by rooting around what a PDF actually contains after export, or some such.

This is a question because another designer stated that there are actual "frames", as in a tool that you use. Those tools seem, in the end, to create the same type of object (generally speaking) as the content control boxes I describe above.

Perhaps it's being nit-picky or maybe it's obvious to some who are more well-versed in InDesign lore, but this is a help file, and those are the kinds of things that need clarification for certain when you come to this sort of document for assistance.

So... when exported to PDF, does InDesign discard all data for images that is not visibly displayed on-screen, on your document as you see it and as it would appear when printed, no matter what the name for the type of object that contains it, when you select "crop image data to frames"?

• 7. Re:  Adobe PDF options
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You have it basically correct. Cropping images to frames discards the data that is outside the conainer, but it may preserve some data that is not visible, as in the case of overlapping objects.

• 8. Re:  Adobe PDF options
                        MJFarmgirl Level 1

There. Guess I found an easy answer to my question.

Create a new document; place an image as I normally do; resize its container so most of it's hidden.

Export to PDF once w/o "crop image data..." selected, and then once w/ it selected.

PDF gets smaller upon selecting "crop image data...". So a "frame" is any of the containers that allow manipulation of the image's display that I usually work with.

And that matches what this indicates:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WSa285fff53dea4f8617383751001ea8cb3f-70f1a.h tml

• 9. Re:  Adobe PDF options
                          MJFarmgirl Level 1

Ah, a reply already!

OK. Thank you for the response.

• 10. Re:  Adobe PDF options
                            mrayel Level 1

Does anyone know of a way to set up a page view export preset. I want all my clients to view facing pages as 2up but I obviously can't manage their Acrobat preferences. Any insight would be appreciated. Here is a screenshot.

http://screencast.com/t/axEr4ajaXuV7

• 11. Re:  Adobe PDF options

You can set the initial view in the PDF document properties in Acrobat Pro after you export.

• 12. Re:  Adobe PDF options
                                rapidlaunch

Correct. Is there a way in Acrobat via another method to automate this process? No biggy for a PDF here and there but we have a high volume of requests and ends up being a time suck.

• 13. Re:  Adobe PDF options

Can't currently be set in ID, but it might be something scriptable in Acrobat on a folder level, perhaps.

• 14. Re:  Adobe PDF options
                                    rapidlaunch Level 1

I will give that a try. Thank you!