8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2012 10:29 PM by probag123

Image Size in actions not working properly

probag123

hello forumers,

I have made an action in photoshop to perform specific task in an image,

the problem is, i put the Image Size action which is to resize the image in particular size, but when the action continues, the image did not size right, so what i do is resize the image before adding the action, the question is why the resizing did not work inside the actions?, if my questions is not clear please post, i can give you a copy of my actions to see the problem, thanks

• 1. Re: Image Size in actions not working properly
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

The first thing to do is the fulley expand the action's Image Resize step so you can read the settings that were recorded for the step. Is what you see has been recorded what you expected

Here are three action I just recorded all three will resize a 8x10 300 dpi image to a 4x5 300dpi image on other size documents

testis.jpg

the first one will resize all documents  to 4" wide using current resolution and preserve the aspect ratio.

the second one will resize all documents to half their current size at their current resolution.

the third one will resize all documents to 1200px wide at its current resolution and some number of pixel high to preserve its current aspect ratio.

Also in one operation Image Size can change Aspect Ratio distorting the image and change both size and resolution. Be careful how you record Image size

To resize all size documents  to a size like 4" x 5" without distortion the first thing you need to do  is to make it have a 4:5 aspect ratio(crop) then resize it to 4" x 5"  by changing its resolution and not resample or by resizing it to 4" x 5" at some DPI resolution by resampling.

If you don't mind distorting your image you can force fit any size docuent to any size and resolution that Photoshop supports.

• 2. Re: Image Size in actions not working properly
            c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

but when the action continues, the image did not size right,

Doesn’t that statement seem pretty vague?

If JJMack’s remarks should not have sufficed please elaborate – post a screenshot of the expanded Action, state the exact image dimensions before and after and what they should be etc.

• 3. Re: Image Size in actions not working properly
              probag123 Level 1

here is the actions

actions.PNG

the size of the image before it reach the "Image Size" in actions is any size so i want it to resize to 1600x1000 but it did not size tha way i want it

• 4. Re: Image Size in actions not working properly
                c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

As you had »Constrain Proportions« turned off when recording I can’t see an easy reason for the issue.

But you still did not provide a clear example:

What were the exact dimensions before that step and after for one image where you got the faulty results?

• 5. Re: Image Size in actions not working properly

probag123 wrote:

here is the actions

actions.PNG

the size of the image before it reach the "Image Size" in actions is any size so i want it to resize to 1600x1000 but it did not size tha way i want it

Looking at your action leads me to believe that you have jump right in and skipped the basics.    You haven't a clue of what's going on. Image Size is working correctly you just do not know a thing about the basics. Without an understanding the basics of a digital image your going to have a hard time of it.

• 6. Re: Image Size in actions not working properly

actions.PNG

Size lets talk basic talk

Size one size an imags does not have it has many.  It has a pixel size so many wide so may high.  When you save an Image as a file you save it in some image file format.  No matter what image file format you save your image in the major bulk of the file will be Pixel data.  However ever different image file format suppotrs different features and the size an image file size will vary greatly between file forrmats, features and option used saving the image.   Your image can also be save as a hard copy image print.  With out change a singe pixel an image can be printed well many differet sizes just by changing the print resolution. The pixels don't change just the size a pixes print changes.   Images will generally look good as long as the print resolution remains above 200DPI some will argue 300DPI.   The more pixels you have the more detail you can record for and image.   Sometime you can have too many pixel for an image because you want to display your image on a device that can not display or print the amount of pixels you have. Like a computer display. In that case you need to resize the image to fit on the device.   Lets you have a 4:3 aspect ratio display and a 4:3 aspect ratio image.  It you resize the image to have a 640x480 pixels size it will fit on a display and not be distorted.  But not every displayy will display the image the same size for displays display image at their native dpi resolution some displays have a 84dpi resolution some 100dpi some 133dpi some 204dpi some 220dpi and the iPhome has a 326Dpi resolution and image does not have one size it has many.

• 7. Re: Image Size in actions not working properly

probag123 wrote:

actions.PNG

Lets look at the two steps we can see in your action.

Image size Width 1600 px height 1000 px Resample bicubic

This step will resamples all images to a pixel size 1600 px wide and 1000 px high smaler images will  resampled up in pixel size larger images down in pisxel size all images will have as 8:5 landscape aspect ratio after the resize.  Images that did not have a 8:5 landscape aspect ratio before the resize will have been distoretd.  Image that were protraits will now be landscapes with servere distortion.  All images will have lost some quality during resampling.  Their current print size will be determoned by the images print dpi setting.

Canvas Size width and height both set to 500 px and the anchor point the default center.

This setp will crop 900px off the width 1600 pixel size 450 px off both left and right sides of the image aand will crop 500px off the images 1000px height 250px off both the top and bottom.  The image will now have a 1:1 aspect ratio.  The image will not be distorted from its aperance before the crop just a center 500px by 500px square area will remain. The size that image will print is determoned by its print DPI resolution setting,  The print will be square.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Image Size in actions not working properly
                        probag123 Level 1

thank you very much, now i understand..