12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2012 3:56 PM by Ann Bens

Why are my still images Blurry when applying effects?

movinon2004

I am creating a slideshow video using images with up to 18mp.  The images look wonderful clear and sharp until I try and add video effects to the slide, like zooming in or panning. 

I am a user of both CS5.5 at work and newly acquired CS6 for home.  I like what I have been able to do, however this makes me very frustrated when everything looks good except for the images with effects.  Should I be applying effects differently?  or what?

Thanks,

G

• 1. Re: Why are my still images Blurry when applying effects?
          shooternz Level 6

It just maybe that 18mp is too large for PPRO to handle.

• 2. Re: Why are my still images Blurry when applying effects?
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

18mp is WAY to large for video... read...

Photo Scaling for Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798

-Too Large May = Crash http://forums.adobe.com/thread/879967

-And another crash report http://forums.adobe.com/thread/973935

• 3. Re: Why are my still images Blurry when applying effects?
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Are you judging this by how they look in the Program Monitor, or how it looks on a properly calibrated external TV hooked up to PP, or after exporting to DVD or Blu-ray and viewed on a properly calibrated TV?

• 4. Re: Why are my still images Blurry when applying effects?
                shooternz Level 6

Jim...you really need to put this persistent suggestion to bed! Its pure BS and without foundation in fact or in practice.

The monitor technology is easily able to display a clip with an effect applied  to it.... without resorting to exporting a Bluray DVD as first line of QC.

Millions of editors , colorists and motion artists are relying on the abilty to make a judgement based on what they see on their monitors. 

Do you suggest they should apply an effect then rush off a Blu-ray DVD to check that effect for every tweak or issue.

• 5. Re: Why are my still images Blurry when applying effects?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with the overly-large Still Images, once you Keyframe the Fixed Effects>Motion>Position (Pan), and maybe Motion>Scale (Zoom), have you Rendered your Timeline, where that/those Still Image(s) are? PrPro essentially creates Video out of the Stills, and for best playback, the Timeline in that spot, will need to be Rendered.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Why are my still images Blurry when applying effects?
                    movinon2004 Level 1

Didn't mean to start an argument...  I have reduced the size of the images to see how that goes.  I will keep you all posted.

Thanks,

G

• 7. Re: Why are my still images Blurry when applying effects?
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Didn't mean to start an argument

= Little Devil with a Grin !!!

Stick around for awhile... there is OFTEN a good deal of "healthy discussion" (ie-disagreement) that goes on here

That discussion brings out a LOT of different experiences (you say X doesn't work... but it works just fine for "me") that sometimes, maybe even often, leads to increased and/or new knowledge for everyone

Other times, you just need to realize that what works for "me" may, or may not, work for "you" exactly the same way based on your work flow

Read what everyone offers, try what you can... and make LOTS of notes so, over time, you will develop work practices that work best for you

Personal example...

Many people export out of PPro as MPEG2-DVD to then use Encore to author a DVD

My PERSONAL work flow is to export my AVCHD edits to Widescreen DV AVI to give to Encore... so I may use Encore's Automatic Transcoding setting to make a "best" fit of video length to size (single or dual layer) of DVD

This is because I just don't care to get into all the details of figuring out the PPro settings when exporting... I let Encore do all the math for me

That process works just fine for me... other people want to figure out their own math for the PPro export settings

I say what I do, and why, but I certainly do not TELL anyone else that they MUST do it my way

• 8. Re: Why are my still images Blurry when applying effects?
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        Do you suggest they should apply an effect then rush off a Blu-ray DVD to check that effect for every tweak or issue.

No, I'm suggesting they have a properly calibrated TV external to the built-in program monitor.

And most probably do just that.

The foundation for that advice is well established science.  Accurate display is not subjective, it's fairly precise and can be measured.  The problem with using the Program Monitor (or software players of any kind) is that the software, the graphics driver, and even the operating system itself can and often does have an impact on the video signal, altering it from what it should be.  Those variables make it nearly impossible to be sure you're seeing an accurate signal, which is the goal for quality control.  Hell, PP's built in program monitor even adds to those variables by allowing you to drop the resolution and change which field you're seeing.

So my frequent advice to use the calibrated external TV is designed to eliminate those variables, to make sure the viewer is seeing the signal as it really is, and not altered in any way by those variables.

I would think you'd know this.  I mean, how often does someone come here complaining about how it looks in PP, only to discover that the final DVD is just fine?  Granted, it's not always that way, but the first step should be to eliminate those variables.  Hence, the external, calibrated TV.  Whether that's hooked up to PP directly via Blackmagic, AJA, etc., or achieved after burning a disk, it doesn't matter.  The goal is the same, accurate signals viewed on a calibrated TV.

• 9. Re: Why are my still images Blurry when applying effects?
                          shooternz Level 6

My point about your advice is that an external monitor is not a workflow neccessity because a decent choice of Computer Monitor will provide all the QQC feedback one should need.  That any monitor is  calibrated  is obvious and fundamental  of course.

I would advise spending on decent computer monitors before an external monitor.

FWIW: I have computer monitors and SD- connections to external monitors and I would challenge anyone to discern any significant difference visually. (Chroma, gamma, resolution etc..)

Hell, PP's built in program monitor even adds to those variables by allowing you to drop the resolution and change which field you're seeing.

Well you are going to be even more concerned then that if you are connected to a Broadcast Monitor via HD-sdi and Mercury Transmit ...that dropping the resolution in the PPRO Monitors will be reflected in the Broadcast monitor as well. 

• 10. Re: Why are my still images Blurry when applying effects?
                            aldjlaidjflaewifjla Level 1

Getting back to the OP:

Are you seeing the same results in CS5.5 as well as CS6? I ask because I have the same issue (however, my images aren't nearly that large) in CS6, but things were fine in CS5.5.

I have this issue not only with stills but with any movement/animation whatsoever - stills, video boxes, text, graphics, etc. Also, I get different results from MPE Hardware vs. MPE Software, rendered vs. non-rendered....it's very frustrating. I first noticed the problem when doing a text crawl - stuttery and blurry in CS6, clear and smooth in CS5.5.

I've made a bug report to Adobe and have posted here and elsewhere about this problem to no avail...in a different discussion here about a month ago, Adobe did say they were 'aware of the problem and working on a solution', but nothing yet.

• 11. Re: Why are my still images Blurry when applying effects?
                              movinon2004 Level 1

Yes I am seeing the same results in CS6...  even after I reduced the images to 720x480.

Anymore help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

G

• 12. Re: Why are my still images Blurry when applying effects?
                                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try this:

Make your sequence progressive

Set playback to full.

For panning and zooming make the image about twice the size of the frame resolution.

For panning and zooming use the anchor point instead of position. It makes  zooming more precise.

Turn off Scale to Frame Size either on the timeline or in the Preferences.

Are you images also blurry after export and to what format.