6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2012 6:38 PM by nullsebasvideo

Realistic stars for 3D environment?

nullsebasvideo Level 1

I'm working on a composition where I imported a spaceship from a .obj model using Element 3D, and I setup a camera travelling alongside the ship and then turning around and more or less circling around the ship. The problem is, the bundled CC Star Burst obviously doesn't cut it because it's a 2D plugin and even if I made the layer 3D it wouldn't really help for a camera path that goes almost 360 around the ship.

I don't have any money to buy any other plugin right now, is there a free plugin or a way to fake an outer space 3D environment in AE CS6 so that when the camera turns around or travels sideways the motion of the stars in the background seems more real?

Thanks,

Sebastian

• 1. Re: Realistic stars for 3D environment?
          markerline Level 4

I don't know anything about the plugin you are using but if it simulates a cluster of stars or an array (random) of stars on a flat plane you could do something like this:

If you have Photoshop Extended which has 3D capabilities you could render a still image of the Star Burst plugin and import it into PS Extended .  You could then create a simple 3D Sphere whereever you can and have it be imported as an .obj file into Photoshop if PS can't create the sphere by itself.  Then create a texture map onto the sphere from the Star Burst still image you have made and then import that saved obj into AE and place it into your 3D layer the same way you have placed the other space ship.  Do you think that might work?

• 2. Re: Realistic stars for 3D environment?
            Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Find a nice hi-res graphic of outer space stars/galaxies.  There are plenty around, and NASA's site offers free ones too.

Apply CC Sphere to it in AE and adjust the sphere radius so it surrounds your entire comp.

• 3. Re: Realistic stars for 3D environment?
              nullsebasvideo Level 1

Andrew Yoole wrote:

Find a nice hi-res graphic of outer space stars/galaxies.  There are plenty around, and NASA's site offers free ones too.

Apply CC Sphere to it in AE and adjust the sphere radius so it surrounds your entire comp.

I found a hi res graphic and I applied CC Sphere to it, but I I can't see how to make the graphic a sphere that I could be inside of, I can only see a sphere from the graphic, and adjusting the radius makes it bigger than the comp, but it doesn't make it 3D. I mean, when I turn the camera, the stars still stay in their place, so it doesn't give me a sense of perspective.

• 4. Re: Realistic stars for 3D environment?
                nullsebasvideo Level 1

I forgot to mention, last night I ended up tweaking CC Particle World, and the result was barely OK, since it gives me a 3D environment with particles that resemble the stars, but many particles keep moving in weird ways in the background, and I would prefer something static, but that surrounds the whole comp in all directions.

• 5. Re: Realistic stars for 3D environment?
                  markerline Level 4

Try using this image with CC Environment.  Make sure you create a new Camera and make sure you set the depth of field down to about 100 and then change the image to a 3D layer.  Then pan around in X, Y, and Z to see how the image behaves.  You can scale the image up.  This will give you an idea of how the environment stars will behave.adobe_forums_cc_sphere.jpg

• 6. Re: Realistic stars for 3D environment?
                    nullsebasvideo Level 1

Thanks, actually CC Environment seems to work, but unfortunately turning on depth of field for this comp would make things difficult and I'm already done with it, but this is very useful for anything like this that I may have to do in the future, so thank you. BTW, you don't have to turn the layer 3D, that actually messes it up, since this is one of those pseudo 3D plugins that don't behave like real 3D layers.