4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2012 4:34 PM by nullsebasvideo

Star Trek transporter with bundled effects?

nullsebasvideo Level 1

Sorry if I don't have several hours to search for this online, all I found so far are tutorials that use 3rd party plugins, none of which I can afford right now, and I need to do a presentation tomorrow morning where I would really like to use a transporter, AKA "beam me up Scotty" effect, whether it's the original one or more advanced, but with anything that is bundled with Adobe CS6.

It's easier in my case because the layers I want to apply the effect to are animations and the background is in a different layer, so that should make it easier.

Thanks,

Sebastian

• 1. Re: Star Trek transporter with bundled effects?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Don't know of any presets, but it would be easy enough to build with any of the particle systems. Some CC Ball action with the sphere's made tiny and lots of scattering would do the trick easily as would Card Dance under similar conditions. And of course there's always Particle Playground, Shatter, Particle World, Partticle Systems II, Scatterize and otehrs... Then you simply slap on two separate instances of Glow, one horizontal only, the otehr vertical, to create a glint effect.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Star Trek transporter with bundled effects?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can do just about anything with bundled effects if you don't try and do it all on one layer.

You animate the opacity of your actor to make them appear.

You use a copy of your actor layer as a track matte for a particle effect.

You can pre-compose a fractal noise layer to use as a displacement map for a noise or particle layer.

You need a particle layer. There are dozens of ways to do this.

Then there's your clean plate background layer.

So that's about 4 or 5 layers and some basic effects.

If you want the more modern effect add a blurred masked solid for the transporter beam.

• 3. Re: Star Trek transporter with bundled effects?
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Here's a fundamental question: are you referring to the transporter from the original series from the '60's, or the transporter look of later series begining with Star Trek: The Next Generation?

Two different looks, two different techniques.

• 4. Re: Star Trek transporter with bundled effects?
                nullsebasvideo Level 1

Dave LaRonde wrote:

Here's a fundamental question: are you referring to the transporter from the original series from the '60's, or the transporter look of later series begining with Star Trek: The Next Generation?

Two different looks, two different techniques.

Well, yesterday I was looking for anything that resembled any of the versions, since I had to take to work this funny video where some of my co-workers would beam on top of a Star Trek style ship and dance using the puppet tool, so I ended up adding a blue glow and then a CC Scaterize and it resulted in a barely OK beam effect, but far from what I had in mind. It's been a while since I've seen any Star Trek, but I remember there was one more advanced that consisted of two vertical blue beams that I really liked, that's the one I would like to achieve.