4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2012 4:05 AM by NeilLiang

A question about Eula license agreements

NeilLiang

Hi there:

I have a question about license agreements (EULA). Could anyone  figure this out for me?

My question is, what is the meaning of  AE6 EULA 2.1.7.2?

EULA - After effect 6 download link: http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/pdfs/Gen_WWCombined-MULTI-20111031_1230.pdf

2.1.7 Server Use

2.1.7.1 .....

2.1.7.2 .....(e) for operations not initiated by an individual user (e.g., automated server processing).

About (e), does that mean that I can't automatically start AE processes via AE script? This is what I'm going to do below.

There would be some AE works in the work list (DB), my script would read the list and then automatically start AE main program,

after some processes, the work will be done. The script would keep running till all the works being finished.

Is this a legal way to use AE?

Thank you.

Neil

• 1. Re: A question about Eula license agreements
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Well, what is it that you are asking? You cannot install desktop products on servers, anyway (not with a lot of hocuspocus at least), so what's the point? Everything else is covered by your license - of course you can use all sorts of scripting on your locally installed AE, including using the netrender client.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: A question about Eula license agreements
            NeilLiang Level 1

Thank you for your reply Mylenium

sorry, I didn't mention that  the machines are on the amazon web server (Windows), 

The machines will automatically finish all the stuffs, is it still legal?

Neil

• 3. Re: A question about Eula license agreements
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

As far as my understanding of the legal points goes: No. You would circumvent 2.1.7.1 and also on some level break 4.7 and 4.8 - Amazon is not your local network and since otehrs may have access to the server outside of the number of allowed users that might bear some influence on the judgememnt. anyway, I'm not a legal expert by all means. That aside, the technical hurdles remain: AE and AME do not necessarily play well with server software due to CoDecs, licensing and other system level stuff getting involved that a server's security mechanisms may prevent from working....

Mylenium

• 4. Re: A question about Eula license agreements
                NeilLiang Level 1

That would be a big trouble to me if AE can't be installed on AWS windows server.

I'm using AWS machines to render my video, that is because I don't want to take the risk of burning my office.

Anyway, thank you Mylenium.

Neil