3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2012 6:15 AM by BobLevine

hotspots & rollovers in InDesign

Stormcloud492

I have created "buttons" in InDesign which are custom shapes, not horizontally- or vertically-aligned rectangles or circles. The "hotspot" (sensitive area of the buttons), however, seem to be related to the "bounding box", instead of to the polygon! The problem is that the bounding boxes (but not the polygons) overlap.

The fill of the rollover state of each polygon is a colored transparency.

So if you mouse over a polygon, you can inadvertently activate the rollover state of the neighboring button and a portion of the neighboring polygon's transparent rollover state will appear. And if you click inside the overlapping portion of the bounding box, you will go to the wrong link.

I am using Creative Suite 5.5 on a MacBookPro running Snow Leopard.

Surely, it should be possible to define the hotspot to precisely the area you want -- to the polygon, not the bounding box?

Creative Suite has been positioning itself as an effective user interface that allows designers to design and export webpages that are fully interactive. Do I really have to use Dreamweaver of Fireworks to solve what should otherwise be simple problem? (I note that Fireworks has a "Polygon" tool, but couldn't figure out how to get beyond creating the polygon, to creating the button with rollover effects and actions).

Any suggestions? I would be so grateful.

• 1. Re: hotspots & rollovers in InDesign
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Buttons are rectangular. Design accordingly.

But I don’t understand your reference to a website? InDesign is not a web design tool.

If this is going to the web, I suggest using Muse if Dreamweaver is not your thing.

Bob

• 2. Re: hotspots & rollovers in InDesign
            Stormcloud492 Level 1

Thanks for your prompt reply, Bob. If you're wondering where I got the idea, I can refer you to an Adobe TV "Evangelist" who explains how to created interactivity in your Adobe InDesign layout and then export it as an SWF file with little further work required for it to be used as a website (and that was with CS4, so I can only assume Adobe has continued moving in the same direction). I bought Adobe Design Premium, but am not yet up to speed on Dreamweaver, Flash or Fireworks. So for the current project I was looking to do as much as possible in familiar territory.

Maybe there's a work around? There are two things I would like to have happen:  I'd like each polygon to change color (transparent) upon rollover. The button could be a rectangle containing a number, which would also change color upon rollover, and would jump to a URL or open a document when clicked.

Does Dreamweaver allow you define a custom area as a hotspot and rollover? In a post about Fireworks, I saw an example posted of a map of the U.S., in which the designer wanted each state to be highlighted with a transparency upon rollover, and also to jump to a URL when clicked. They did this with a "polygon" tool.

If InDesign included and promoted these tools for interactivity, why shouldn't one use them for export to a PDF or to an SWF file? I'm assuming Muse is Adobe's latest answer to the need for friendlier user interfaces for Designers? I've spent enough money on CSDesign Premium this year and can't afford to spend more right now.

• 3. Re: hotspots & rollovers in InDesign
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Muse is subscription only and is included with Creative Cloud.

If your goal is SWF (and please keep in mind that you will be totally eliminating anyone on mobile and pretty much killing any SEO) then it should work as a rollover.

Select the button and open the buttons panel. Then simply click the rollover state and edit the button to create the appearance you want.

That said, it will still be a rectangle.

Bob