4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2012 10:21 AM by Rick Gerard

placing image gets blurry

AirFoxMedia Level 1

macbook pro

i have a 1920x1080 23.976 square pixel comp. i am importing rgb images (2776x 4000) into the doc. when i place em on the "full" res timeline they look, blurry- some more than others.

also, sometimes on import my pics are the right size, but the image is blown up, so u only see a portion of the image.

thank you for any help!

A

• 1. Re: placing image gets blurry
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

After Effects sees a pixel as a pixel so your 2700 + wide image is only going to show the middle 1920 pixels when you drop it into a composition. The larger the original image the smaller the portion that will show up.

Scaling the image down to fit the comp is usually OK but only to a point. You need to resize your images so that they are close to 100% scale at some time in your project. You'll get a better result by resizing, then cleaning up the image in Photoshop before you import them into AE.

• 2. Re: placing image gets blurry
            AirFoxMedia Level 1

actually the small portion is the actual footage file in the project window. double click it there and in the footage window u see a small portion. it must be in the ps save??

** OH! im slowly pushing a camera in on the process. a basic slideshow of pics. so i thought to keep the pics big would help res loss??

so if i take a jpg and scale it down to say 20% it will look blurry?

• 3. Re: placing image gets blurry
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

AirFoxMedia wrote:

actually the small portion is the actual footage file in the project window. double click it there and in the footage window u see a small portion. it must be in the ps save??

** OH! im slowly pushing a camera in on the process. a basic slideshow of pics. so i thought to keep the pics big would help res loss??

so if i take a jpg and scale it down to say 20% it will look blurry?

Answer to Question #1:  I don't understand what you wrote.

Answer to Question #2: You're on the right track, but your picture still doesn't have sufficient resolution to get as close as you want.  Hence, it gets blurry.

Answer to Question #3: No.  AE will keep the picture sharp.  Now, this applies in 2D, mind you.  Any time you go beyond the 1-to-1 correspondence of pixel resolution, whether you scale the picture up to 200% in 2D or get the camera too close in 3D, the image will lose resolution and go blurry.

The solution to your problems would appear to get pictures with higher resolution.  A little arithmetic ought to help you figure out how much resolution you need: look at the portion of the picture you want to zoom into.  Is that portion 1920 pixels across?  No?  How may pixels across is it?  Determine the ratio, and that's the additional amount of resolution you need.

AE isn't the only application where theis happens: it can happen in ANY application dealing with bitmapped images.

As an aside, it doesn't sound like you really need to be working in 3D; it only complicates things.  For your purposes, 2D sounds like it would be just fine.

• 4. Re: placing image gets blurry
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you're using footage (movie or still image) in a 3D environment you are at an effective 100% scale when the distance between the layer and the camera is equal to the zoom value.

IOW, if your layer is at 900, 800, 0 and your camera is at 900, 800, -900 and the zoom value of the camera is 900, and the layer's scale is 100%, you are at an effective scale of 100%. You are seeing every pixel. If the camera is at 900, 800, -450 then you are effective scaling up the image and it will go soft.

If you scale an image down to 20% and it's filling the composition frame in 2D or 3D the image is not going to be sharp because that's just too much interpretation in the pixels. AE doesn't do that good a job of scaling. You can use 3rd party plug-ins to get better results, or you can add an unsharp mask. For most of my work, when an image is at an effective 20% scale, the image is moving so there is motion blur and the softness is not a problem at all.

When the movement resolves (movement stops) I plan my projects so I'm very close to an effective 100% scale and all is well with the world.