5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2012 3:06 AM by Fuzzy Barsik

Can't Associate AE File Types

rfme

I am running Adobe Creative Suites CS4 for my company. However, we had a file we needed to open so we also installed After Effects CS5.5.

However, now all the AE files open in CS5.5 and this doesn't work for us as our plugsin are installed in CS4. I've tried several times in Windows 7 to associate AE files back to CS4.I've tried through the Control Panel under Default Programs and the right click context menu by "Open With". The problem is when I nativate to the After Effects.exe for CS4, it WILL NOT load in the Windows menu to allow me to re-associate it. The only option remains CS 5.5.

Any way I can perhaps manualy associate these files by doing some kind of edit in the Registry?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Can't Associate AE File Types
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You don't need to go into the registry. You simply need to un-associate your files with CS5.5 using the normal File --> Organize --> File associations or Extras --> Folder Options --> File associations. And in addition you will have to make all those tools behave that add their own generic file handlers like virus scanners or packers. You're simply running out of context handlers, that's why you can't associate your files.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Can't Associate AE File Types
            rfme Level 1

Thanks Mylenium!

This actualy worked well. However, it did have an unintended consequence I now need to resolve.

Windows assigned a generic AE icon to my CS4 files now (you know the one I mean...with the white background). How do I get my AE icon back when opening these files?

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Can't Associate AE File Types
              BenjaminMarkus Level 4

I believe Mylenium just answered this question on another thread.  Check this out and see if it helps...

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1037138?tstart=0

• 4. Re: Can't Associate AE File Types
                rfme Level 1

Unforntatly not. He refers to the File --> Organize --> File associations or Extras --> Folder Options --> File associations. I personaly have never found anything like this but checked in Windwos 7 under "Defaults" and was able to associate the CS4 app there after some luckily finding it now present in the drop down menu.

However, there is no where I see that will allow me to browse and icon and assign it. If you are running Windows 7 and look under the Defaults menu in Control Panel you'll see what I mean.

There must be a way to do this somewhere I hope?

• 5. Re: Can't Associate AE File Types
                  Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

See this or that on how to change icons for associated file types in Windows 7 or just do a Google search...

Bear in mind that the location of file you may want to pick an icon from is

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CS4\Support Files\AfterFX.exe