2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2012 1:30 AM by [Jongware]

Automating Glyph replacement for ePubs

London_Crockett Level 1

I have a book I'm converting to ePub format. There is one UTF character that isn't supported by ePub (crossed d; unicode 0111),  and I'd like to replace the character with an image. However, this character appears more than 50 times in the book, so manually doing it will be slow.

Is there anyway to search for a glyph and replace it with a character? From an ePub perspective, will an inline image mess with the letter spacing substantially?

Thanks for any tips

• 1. Re: Automating Glyph replacement for ePubs
          Kasyan Servetsky Level 5
          1. Copy the paced image to the clipboard.
          2. Open Text tab in Find/Change dialog box
          3. Type in <0111> in Find what
          4. In Change to choose Other > Clipboard contents, unformated
          5. Click Change all

19-07-2012 10-29-58.png

• 2. Re: Automating Glyph replacement for ePubs
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

London_Crockett wrote:

There is one UTF character that isn't supported by ePub (crossed d; unicode 0111) ..

What makes you think so? UTF-8 characters are not handled "one a time", it's just a translation from Unicode to an 8-bit format. If any application supports UTF-8, it will be able to display any valid Unicode -- if, and only if, that character is available in the active font, of course.

Using an image instead works, but as you already may have noticed

From an ePub perspective, will an inline image mess with the letter spacing substantially?

-- the answer it "yes it does". (Aside, the image will not scale up and down with the text if your user chooses a larger/smaller font. Aside 2, you cannot include this character anymore in a search operation. And aside 3, it's Plain Ugly.)

So it seems your default font does not contain the d-stroke. Maybe it's possible use a font that does contain one.

1 person found this helpful