9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2012 4:34 PM by Steve Grisetti

Poor audio in exported files.

roysonne

Hello, I am using PRE10 to edit mp4 files from a Canon Vixia HFM50. I am using Vista Home Edition on aHP Pavillion Elite m9040.  I record the audio separately on a Zoom HN4. The Zoom gives me a wav file with excellent audio quality. I combine this in PRE10 with my video file with no problem. Playback quality is excellent within PRE10. Then when I export the finished video the audio quality drops dramatically. I have tried exporting to various formats including .avi and .mpg and also to Youtube. The video quality is fine but the audio quality is severely degraded. Can anybody help me with this?

• 1. Re: Poor audio in exported files.
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Please show people what you are selecting as output... a screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30

• 2. Re: Poor audio in exported files.
            roysonne Level 1

Thanks, John, for this very pertinent suggestion.

Here are the links to two Youtube videos. It is the sound of the violin that I am concerned about. It has a sort of buzz superimposed on the sound that makes it definitely sub-par compared to other professional violin recordings on Youtube. That sound is not there in the original recording.

http://youtu.be/L5d0e65VF-U

http://youtu.be/i2VXk6Vjp0k

Thanks very much.

Roy

• 3. Re: Poor audio in exported files.
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Not what I meant... show screen shots of your Premiere Elements export settings

Also... does your timeline have a red line over it when you first import your video & audio, and before you do any work?

• 4. Re: Poor audio in exported files.
                roysonne Level 1

Here are two screen shots of export settings I have used. .

The timeline doesn't have a red line until I start editing.

Many thanks.

Roy

Screen shot 1.jpg

Screen shot 2.jpg

• 5. Re: Poor audio in exported files.
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

My first question would be, when you first set up your Premiere Elements project, which project settings did you select? Unless you selected project settings that match your video, you're not going to get a good output no matter which output settings you select.

And, as far as your audio, did you open the Audio Mixer and monitor your audio levels with it? You can't trust the sound you hear coming out your speakers. They tell you nothing about your project's actual monitor levels!

Finally, on the Zoom web site it says this record saves its audio as 24-bit 96 khz PCM files, a format Premiere Elemetns can't work with you. Your audio will need to be 16-bit or 12-bit 44.1 khz if you want to load it successfully in Premiere Elements.

• 6. Re: Poor audio in exported files.
                    roysonne Level 1

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply.

When I set up the project I select something that I think is right. Then as soon as I import the first video clip I get a message saying "Your project settings do not match the video you are bringing in. Do you want PRE to select settings that match this video. I say yes.

It gives me the following:

Editing mode   AVCHD 720p square pixel

Timebase 29.97

Frame size 1280 720Square pixels 1.0

30fps drop frame timecode

Audio sample rate 48,000

The audio levels seem to be fine 

averaging around -6 occasionally approaching 0

My zoom recorder gives me a wav. file on an SD card which I then copy to my hard drive.

Adobe audition indicates that the file is 16bit 44.1 khz

The sound on the original audio file is great and when I import it into PRE the sound is the same.

It is only when I export my edited video that the sound loses quality.

The only thing that seems strange is that the exported audio to an mpg file has 48khz. However the exported audio to Youtube is 44.1khz.

In either case the audio loses quality.

Thanks very much for your help.

Roy

• 7. Re: Poor audio in exported files.

It sounds as though your original audio file is not the problem and neither are your project settings, Roy. It could be something else -- like the software you're using to play your output video.

I've checked out the links to your YouTube videos and it sounds just great on my computer! What exactly are you hearing that indicates the quality is poor? Distortion? Crackling? Be as specific as you can. Words like "degraded" don't tell us much about what bugs we're really trying to chase.

Are you sure you've got the latest audio drivers for your computer?

If you're using a Windows computer, manually go to Windows Update and look for the non-critical updates. These do not install automatically, but they often do include important driver updates.

• 8. Re: Poor audio in exported files.
                        roysonne Level 1

Hi Steve,

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to really engage with my problem.

Roughly speaking, the violin should have an AAAAHHHH  sound but this has a ZZZZZZZZZZ quality mixed in with it.

There is a noticeable difference between the original and the exported files as I mentioned.

That being said, the sound isn't terrible, but as I am hoping to put these videos up for sale and compete in the professional arena, the sound has to be on a par with what's out there.

I updated everything the other day. It doesn't seem to make a difference.

Since I'm doing a lot of video editing these days I'm thinking of getting a new computer. I'm looking at this

Acer Predator AG3620-UR20P Gaming PC - 3rd generation Intel Core i7-3770 3.40GHz 12GB DDR3 2TB HDD 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 DVDRW Keyboard/Mouse Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Do you think that would be a good choice? And do you think that would take care of my problem?

Thanks again for your time and your generosity.

Roy

• 9. Re: Poor audio in exported files.

I don't think a new computer would fix your problem, Roy.

I've no idea what's going on -- particularly since I can't hear the problem you describe.

Sorry. Hopefully someone else will know what's going on.