5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2012 4:50 PM by josephs51576386

Missing HDV and MPEG-2 CODECS in new CS6 Creative Cloud install

rlahoda Level 1

I've been searching all through the forums trying to find a solution and I can't find anything that actually works for me.

I just purchased a new MacBook Pro and joined the creative cloud and downloaded Premiere Pro CS6 as well as all the other programs available. I went to import some HDV footage that I had captured into FCP7. The footage doesn't show up correctly just looking at it in Finder, it registers only as an audio file. So I went to import it to PP CS6 and it said the codec was not available. The HDV preset was showing as an option when I started PP but the files don't work correctly.

I have looked through a bunch of solutions and none match what I need. I tried the deactivate/reboot/reactivate and it didn't work. I checked the addexporter.txt file that some said would help get the codecs working in AME and it has everything looking correct:

# MediaCore Plugins

ExporterAIFF

ExporterAVI

ExporterBMP

ExporterCIT

CITExporter

ExporterDPX

ExporterGIF

ExporterGIFStill

ExporterJPEG

ExporterCoreAudio

ExporterNULL

ExporterP2

ExporterPNG

ExporterQuickTimeHost

ExporterTarga

ExporterTIFF

ExporterUncompressed

ExporterWave

ExporterWindowsMedia

ExporterXDCAMHD

# MediaCore Plugin Formats. Syntax: ExporterName.ZeroBasedIndexToBlacklist

ExporterMPEG4.1

ExporterMPEG4.2

ExporterMPEG4.3

# AME Plugins

AudioWriter

WinMediaWriter

# AME Plugin Formats

MPEG4

H.264 Blu-ray

I really don't want to completely uninstall and reinstall all the software because it took forever to download all the software.

One forum commenter said there was an easy fix to his problem on a help page, but I can't find it.

• 1. Re: Missing HDV and MPEG-2 CODECS in new CS6 Creative Cloud install
          Zooropa75 Level 1

I have a similar situation, except my HDV clips show up correctly in Finder and play fine (video & audio) in QuickTime, but Premiere Pro refuses to import it. I wonder where PP is getting its codecs - QuickTime obviously has the codecs to play the HDV clips?

Premiere Pro CS6 with 6.0.1 update installed

Mac OSX v10.7.4

New Mac tower desktop with virtually nothing else installed. I did install QuickTime 7.6.6, based on a suggestion I found on this forum, in addition to the QuickTime 10.1 that came with Lion.

Source footage: HDV clips captured in FCP6/7, mix of 1080p30 and 720p30

Scenario: When trying to import or open the clips, pop-up window with error message "Codec missing or unavailable."

Where could I find the codecs that PP can use to open HDV clips? Any help will be appreciated!

• 2. Re: Missing HDV and MPEG-2 CODECS in new CS6 Creative Cloud install
            Jim_Simon Level 8

HDV footage that I had captured into FCP7.

That is likely the issue.  FCP does weird things to footage.  If you recapture in PP, you'll get a normal file.

• 3. Re: Missing HDV and MPEG-2 CODECS in new CS6 Creative Cloud install
              Zooropa75 Level 1

I wish that answer is good enough, but unfortunately that could be a deal-breaker. Our organization is evaluating whether to migrate from FCP7 to FCPX or PP. We have a lot of existing footage captured with FCP, and we may still keep using FCP7 for a while. If we don't have a good way to cross-reference the FCP clips in PP, we may just give up and choose FCPX instead.

I thought a lot of FCP7 users are migrating to PP, so I'm surprised this issue hasn't been discussed more or resolved in some way.

• 4. Re: Missing HDV and MPEG-2 CODECS in new CS6 Creative Cloud install
                Jim_Simon Level 8

These days, the number of folks still using tape-based formats like HDV is dwindling.  The bulk of editors are probably now dealing with some form of solid state media like AVCHD.  That may account for the sparsity of threads here.  But it has been discussed, and the problem is that if you capture HDV using AIC, (Apple Intermediate Code), your hosed.  The easiest solution is to recapture to standard MPEG using PP.

And don't forget that FCP X doesn't deal with any tape based formats.  No way to capture from tape, no way to export to tape.

• 5. Re: Missing HDV and MPEG-2 CODECS in new CS6 Creative Cloud install
                  josephs51576386 Level 3

The only other option you would have other than to capture everything again is to batch convert everything you have into a format that Premiere supports.