3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2012 11:25 AM by samallen3

how do I import a 100 page word doc and get it to flow to consecutive pages in in design?

dagny73

how do I import a 100 page word doc and get it to flow to consecutive pages in in design?

• 1. Re: how do I import a 100 page word doc and get it to flow to consecutive pages in in design?
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Create a new document. It has one page.

Choose File > Place. Select the Word file in the dialog and click OK. Place your placement cursor at the upper left corner of the first page. Hold down the Shift key (to invoke auto-flow), and click. The text should flow through and autogenerate new pages to place the entire Word file.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: how do I import a 100 page word doc and get it to flow to consecutive pages in in design?
            Chad Chelius Adobe Community Professional

There are several ways to do this. One of the easiest ways is to setup your InDesign document using the margins that you would like to use for your page. Then choose File > Place. With the loaded place cursor, hold down the shift key on your keyboard and click in the upper-left corner of page 1 where the margins intersect. InDesign should then create as many pages as necessary to flow all of your content.

Not sure what version of InDesign you are using, but you could also use the Smart Text Flow feature found in the InDesign Preferences > Type, but this requires just a bit more setup.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: how do I import a 100 page word doc and get it to flow to consecutive pages in in design?
              samallen3

You can set up a document with multiple pages in InDesign and choose the "master text frame" option when setting up your document. 

This will put a frame on each page (all are linked together). 

Then, go to File > Place (or hit Cmd + D if you're on a mac) and find your word document in the browser window.  Click OK and your cursor should be loaded with the text from the word document.  Click where you want the text to appear (I'm assuming page one of your ID Document) and it should flow to all pages of your document.  It might take a while to get your cursor loaded due to the size of the word document.