8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2012 7:31 AM by Inneedofhelp123

Book to epub Crash?

Inneedofhelp123

I'm using CS5.5 on a PC with windows 7. I am by far no expert at using this program yet (just learning right now), but I have had relative success exporting individual indesign documents to epub files. Today I came across a book that I needed to export to epub, and I realized there is an icon in the small book window that has an option of export book to epub but after I click it and fill in the prompted metadata, a window pops up and says "Adobe InDesign CS5.5 has stopped working. Please close the program." - providing no further information or other options. This has happened repeatedly over several days so I am appealing to the experts.

Thank you so much for anyone who can offer help.

• 1. Re: Book to epub Crash?
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First, make sure you've updated to the latest version of InDesign CS5.5. That's 7.5.3.

Second, if that doesn't work, you should try restoring your preferences:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/526990?start=0&tstart=0

Third, if that doesn't work you may need to resave your InDesign files as IDML and reopen them to remove any corruption.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Book to epub Crash?
            Inneedofhelp123 Level 1

Thanks for your help, Steve. Can you give me more information about how to do #3 on your list (resave InDesign files as IDML)? I have tried your first two suggestions but the problem is persisting.

• 3. Re: Book to epub Crash?
              Alec Molloy Employee Moderator

This document goes over the steps: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/526991

• 4. Re: Book to epub Crash?
                Inneedofhelp123 Level 1

Thank you for that. Unfortunately even after exporting all the files (luckily there are only 12 docs in this book...) to .idml and saving them back as .indd the same problem is persisting. Does anyone have any other ideas? Or possibly does anyone know if there is a way to relatively easily consolidate several ID documents into one long document since it seems that exporting a document to epub is working?

• 5. Re: Book to epub Crash?

I'd make a new blank document with page size and margins of your book.

Open the first chapter .indd file. Choose Layout > Pages > Move Pages. Select all the pages in that chapter and choose move to the <blank document>. Close the first chapter.

Repeat for the rest of the chapters, adding all the pages to your new document. After finishing, you can delete the first blank page.

• 6. Re: Book to epub Crash?
                    Inneedofhelp123 Level 1

Thank you. Sadly there must be something wrong that is probably way over my head to figure out. Even after moving all the pages into one document, exporting the document to ePub still causes the program to "stop working and need to close" even after exporting it as an .idml file and resaving that as an .indd file again. For some reason it is just this document, however becuase other files are still able to export to epub, I just wish I could figure out what is wrong with this document!

• 7. Re: Book to epub Crash?

It could be a corrupt graphic. Try eliminating the chapters one-by-one, to narrow it down.

• 8. Re: Book to epub Crash?
                        Inneedofhelp123 Level 1

After doing that, I have figured out that this problem is consistently in the section of the book with the table of contents. It has now happened with two separate books that were layed out by the same person. Does anyone know where I could find information on the requirements of a document for epub export to figure out what's causing this crashing problem? With one of them, I deleted the offending page (after deleting page by page to determine where the problem was within this chapter), retyped it and the problem was solved. With this other book, I have had no such luck. I am trying to figure out what could be different about this book than all the other publications we've made that have exported to epub without this problem, but am a little stuck about where to look. I even tried deleting all the images and it is still saying the program has stopped working and has to close. Any more ideas about how to fix this? Thanks.