29 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2017 2:53 PM by Ann Bens

Who wants Warp Stabilizer w/Keyframes?

wolverine.ks Level 1

After reading all the posts about warp stabilizing portions of clips, i was inspired to submit a feature request.

Warp Stabilization with Keyframes.

This would allow changing the amount of stabilizing over time, so that a portion of a clip could be stabilized, and then seamlessly flow back into the unstabilized portion, without having a sudden jump back into the original scal/orientation, or having to cut to a different clip altogether.

what do you guys think? would this be useful?

-wolv

• 1. Re: Who wants Warp Stabilizer w/Keyframes?
          shooternz Level 6

I would have thought that by nature of the analyse process...Warp Stabiliser "keyframes" it self.

ie. It analyses the motion  and calculates what degree of stabilisation to apply . If none is needed..it wont apply any.

• 2. Re: Who wants Warp Stabilizer w/Keyframes?
            Steve221 Level 1

I haven't used Warp Stabilizer much yet but I see how this can be useful.  I was already wondering about the transition.

• 3. Re: Who wants Warp Stabilizer w/Keyframes?
              wolverine.ks Level 1

I guess i wasnt clear on that post.

i mean keyframing so that at the beginning and the end of the clips there is 0% stabilizing, and gradually work up to 100% somewhere in the middle.

stabilizing requires scaling, rotating, warping, and synthesizing edges. so if you stabilize the middle 10 seconds of a 30 second clip, you might have that 10 seconds be slightly larger and askew compared to the other 20 seconds, even though they were filmed continuously.

so there would have to be a jump from the original frame size, to a larger frame size, back to the original frame size again.

if the stabilization started gradually in the few seconds before the wobble, and reduced back down gradually after the wobble, then you might not notice it at all.

but as far as i know, you have either 100% stabilization or none at all. and that means you have to have a cut at the beginning and at the end, which might mean you have unwanted cuts, or to preserve the cuts in a longer clip, you might have to stabilize unnecessary frames, which takes time, cpu cycles, and reduces the efficiency, effectiveness, and quality of the part that was stabilized.

-wolv

• 4. Re: Who wants Warp Stabilizer w/Keyframes?
                shooternz Level 6

You stabilise the entire clip once you have locked down your edit..or you make a stabilised DI of that clip.

I do not understand meaning of this though..

...and that means you have to have a cut at the beginning and at the end, which might mean you have unwanted cuts, or to preserve the cuts in a longer clip, you might have to stabilize unnecessary frames, which takes time, cpu cycles, and reduces the efficiency, effectiveness, and quality of the part that was stabilized.

• 5. Re: Who wants Warp Stabilizer w/Keyframes?
                  Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

In real world it's much easier to do what you want manually than to assign Warp Stabilizer accomplish that task and therefore make it even more inefficient tool (applying Warp Stabilizer on several 30 second clips bogs down a project dramatically)...

• 6. Re: Who wants Warp Stabilizer w/Keyframes?
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

I think a tripod is the more effective solution here.  (Or at least, more practice shooting handheld.)

• 7. Re: Who wants Warp Stabilizer w/Keyframes?
                      SimonHy Level 2

Sounds like a great suggestion to me. I haven't used Warp Stabilizer yet, but I always found the lack of keyframing on FCPs stabiliser very annoying. You'd often end up with it trying (badly) to stabilise things like pans that you'd like to keep, and seemlessly transitioning between a stablised part of a shot and non-stabilised is just about impossible. I'll put in a request as well.

• 8. Re: Who wants Warp Stabilizer w/Keyframes?
                        SimonHy Level 2

Jim Simon wrote:

I think a tripod is the more effective solution here.  (Or at least, more practice shooting handheld.)

Well I agree with that it's best to get things right in the field and decry  "meh, they'll fix it in post" attitudes, as a documentary editor there's been some footage I've received that's been awful quality but amazing for the story. Story trumps everything. It's nice to have tools that can smooth the edges out on some of that rough footage, rather than imagining that everything will be shot right the first time.

• 9. Re: Who wants Warp Stabilizer w/Keyframes?
                          Jon-M-Spear Level 4

I was shooting a Powerboat and Rib show recently.  All my non-seaborne shots were taken on sticks - however that doesn't help when the sticks are on floating pontoons at the entrance to a very busy harbour! 

So sticks aren't the panacea every time!  Sometimes one needs warp stabilizer.

• 10. Re: Who wants Warp Stabilizer w/Keyframes?
                            Chris5974

The first thing I tried to find when applying Warp Stabilizer was how to keyframe the level, and was surprised to discover that it's not possible.  It's a great idea, and would be a very useful feature. I have a shot with a nice long pan that I'd like to stabilize, but at the end of the pan, the camera turns abruptly to look at someone.  When applied to the entire clip, it also tries to stabilize through the ending camera movement, which it can't help but fail in doing.  It'd be great to be able to keyframe the smoothness to drop down to zero (basically, have it not stabilize at all) over a few seconds before the end of the pan.  I stabilized the clip and then cut it back into the original, but it's near impossible to match the position and warping of the original with that of the stabilized version. 

So yea, my vote is in favor of keyframes.  Hard to understand how someone couldn't see the value in that. 

• 11. Re: Who wants Warp Stabilizer w/Keyframes?
                              ExactImage Level 3

Jon-M-Spear wrote:

I was shooting a Powerboat and Rib show recently.  All my non-seaborne shots were taken on sticks - however that doesn't help when the sticks are on floating pontoons at the entrance to a very busy harbour! 

So true.   My real wish is for a 'silent hover cam' - something that silently hovers in the air - is remote controllable - like a super stabilized quadcopter, but silent

< sigh >    I guess we can dream right ?

Back to the original post - I can see where you are coming from.  there have been times when I'vewanted to stabilize just a couple of seconds in an 8-10 second clip but can't because of the sizing differences betwen stabilized and none stabilized.   Hmmm.... interesting concept but I can see the engineers hiding their faces and shaking their heads as we speak

Of course, warp stablize and time warp working together within premiere pro is also high on my 'would like' list!

• 12. Re: Who wants Warp Stabilizer w/Keyframes?
                                Steven L. Gotz Level 5

The first time I used Warp I hade a video that was only slightly shakey. I could have left it alone, but I really wanted to make it as smooth as possible. But there was this one section where I was jostled a bit. I wanted to keep that part instead of cutting to b-roll (which I could have easily done), but there was no way to properly stabilize it. So, let it shake. Why not? You can see the person who jostled my elbow as they pass by. It isn't like people wouldn't know why it happened. It would almost be modern in that a lot of shaky camera shots are included in movies nowadays.

But, when I cut just before and just after that moment, to avoid stabilizing it, I had a major task on my hands getting it to fit into the video on both sides of it. I was able to use the motion effect to do what I needed to do manully, but if I had been able to keyframe Warp out and back in it sure would have been a big help.

• 13. Re: Who wants Warp Stabilizer w/Keyframes?
                                  John Novotny Level 1

One word. Absolutely!

I'm surprised it can't. It would be a very useful feature. Not to mention time saver.

• 14. Re: Who wants Warp Stabilizer w/Keyframes?
                                    John Novotny Level 1

One can always trim the comp to stabilize a protion of a larger clip but of course it won't ramp.

• 15. Re: Who wants Warp Stabilizer w/Keyframes?
                                      Rallymax-forum Level 3

John Novotny wrote:

One word. Absolutely!

I'm surprised it can't. It would be a very useful feature. Not to mention time saver.

YES!

• 16. Re: Who wants Warp Stabilizer w/Keyframes?
                                        WebOfWebs Level 1

Me Too. God i sooooo need keyframes.

Its such a pain having to cut and slice just to send bits to warp stabilizer.

I did find a useful trick for those that dont know (and for me as in 6 months i'll have forgotten!)

Send your clip to AE, use the warp stabilizer, then
                                        in project window drag your Comp on the New Comp icon and voila!
                                        you have a new comp "a precomp" where you can apply other effects (like fix some of warps changes)

Why this isnt explained clearly and simply on Adobe Help pages i dont know.

• 17. Re: Who wants Warp Stabilizer w/Keyframes?
                                          crenaud-uwg

Indeed.  And perhaps down the road the ability to keyframe or influence (even temporarily extend) the direction in time from which missing edge data is recreated (Synthesis Input Range)?

• 18. Re: Who wants Warp Stabilizer w/Keyframes?
                                            DestregaEndZz

@WebOfWebs Do you have to cut up your video into sections to do this?

Warp stabilization absolutely needs keyframes, if you do shoot on GoPRO the into section with the GoPRO camera and black background get severely stabilized and the video from that point is cropped heavily, wish there was a way to start stabilization and then stop it at certain sections.

• 19. Re: Who wants Warp Stabilizer w/Keyframes?
                                              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Jon-M-Spear wrote:

Even if you are on a rock steady boat/ship. The engine room can fibrate right into the sticks.

• 20. Re: Who wants Warp Stabilizer w/Keyframes?
                                                TomMiller54321 Level 1

Interesting idea.  As a workaround, I have split the clip, applied warp stabilizer to the appropriate section then on the other sections, used keyframes of scale and rotation to gradually move the clip to match the warped section.  It takes a little while, but works quite seemlessly.

• 21. Re: Who wants Warp Stabilizer w/Keyframes?
                                                  LukeR Level 1

the BEST stabilizers in AE was 2D3's Steadymove and IT DID ALLOW FOR KEYFRAME SMOOTHNESS!! this is almost essential in action video that is handheld as (just like stated above you can have a clip ramp up or down the smoothness) as somtimes your subject will go to corner of frame so if smoothness is high you can keyit down to get the shot that was originally taken).  Sadly they no longer make that product.. BUT I have a version of After Effects CS4 that I kkep running on a machine that will run the steadymove plugin (they officially said that it wasd not supported in cs3..btu magically it works like a charm in cs4)

I HAVE NO IDEA WHY WARP STABILIZER even in CC2014 STILLHAS no KEYABLE SMOOTHNESS..it is BEYOND RETARDED TO ME  that I have to open AE cs4 stabilize my clip how i want it then render it out and import it to cc 2014 (so crazy that adobe has not programed keyable smoothness)

• 22. Re: Who wants Warp Stabilizer w/Keyframes?
                                                    mitchells94912700

I agree. We need to be able to KEYFRAME THE SMOOTHNESS from 0% to 100%!!!

Here is my problem. I don't want the beginning stabilized but I need the end stabilized. How would we do this in premiere?

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oEjHW4D8vVk5Xh5N6/giphy.gif

• 23. Re: Who wants Warp Stabilizer w/Keyframes?
                                                      tomashartvigsen

I also want this option in after effects but I found a work around.  I recorded a live show on a monopod and most of the camera work is steady but occasionally there are a few shaky parts.  It would not make sense for me to stabilize the whole show so I cut the segment that is shaky, stabilized that, then brought it back into Avid.  Then I used Avid's picture in picture tool to do a digital zoom in to match the clip that I stabilized in AE.  I also keyframed the digital zoom so that it is slow and barely noticeable.  It is quite a few steps but if you need to stabilize just part of a clip, it is worth it.  I use Avid but I am sure the same workflow would work in Premiere.

• 25. Re: Who wants Warp Stabilizer w/Keyframes?
                                                        owent44011980

This needs to be added.

• 26. Re: Who wants Warp Stabilizer w/Keyframes?
                                                          jasonc7775245

Yes this would be great!  Shooternz sometime having the entire clip stabilized isn't desired.  For instance i'm now working with a clip that with the stabilization applied it looks great except for the first 4 seconds (where you can clearly see the artifacts) and honestly this first 4 seconds doesn't need the stabilization. If I were able to keyframe from 0%-whatever I could essentially avoid the artifacts in the first 4 seconds and then seamlessly transition from 0% to whatever after the first 4 seconds.

• 27. Re: Who wants Warp Stabilizer w/Keyframes?

I just cut the clip and warp the section that needs to be warped.

and scale up the other part of the clip the same as in the warp.

Usually it fits perfectly.

• 28. Re: Who wants Warp Stabilizer w/Keyframes?
                                                              kodyk85005778

I've done this as well. But as I'm currently cutting a one shot with some sections of stabilizations and others already perfectly smooth from the glidecam we used on set - I'm wishing there was just a simple keyframe button that enabled a ramp from non stabilized to stabilized for segments of the clip. Hoping Adobe will add this as it would be hugely beneficial... and a time saver.

• 29. Re: Who wants Warp Stabilizer w/Keyframes?

I think this is more of a feature request for the Warp Stabilizer in AE.