4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2012 1:16 PM by Dvico

New Disk setup help

Dvico Level 1

I"d like to ask your help, or suggetions.I read the forum lots of conversations about disk setup, but Im not sure this is a good choice.I planned this setup:I have lga2011 platform.

C :  OCZ revodrive X2 160GB - OS ( I already have )

D :  2* 1TB Samsung SpinpointF3  7200rpm HD103SJ RAID 0 - Media cache, previews, pagefile

( I already have )

E :  4* 1TB 7200rpm RAID 3 for media, project files - WD RE4 1 TB ( WD1003FBYX) or

- Saegate Barracuda ST1000DM003 or

- Samsung SP F3

I dont have yet, HItachi  too expensive for me.

F : Corsair Force 3 240GB SSD - AE CS6 Global Preformance cache ( I already have it)

G : Samsung 830 128GB SSD - Exports ( I dont have yet)

+ a RAID controller.I looked out Areca 1182ix/12, but Im afraid its too expensive for this setup.

- Do you know other type RAID controller which good for this config?

- What do you think about drive E, what is the good choice?

- Same question about drive G ?

Any advice would help!Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: New Disk setup help
          Harm Millaard Level 7

+ a RAID controller.I looked out Areca 1182ix/12, but Im afraid its too expensive for this setup.

Is that a typo and did you mean the 1882ix/12? With a plethora of disks in your configuration, maybe the 8-port version would suffice and save some $$.

For the E: drive I think the RE4 is a good choice. The Samsung F3 is a good second IMO.

For the G: drive the Samsung is a good choice, much more affordable than the Corsair Performance Pro and almost as fast. I would suggest a 256 GB version to have some more space however.

• 2. Re: New Disk setup help
            Dvico Level 1

Sorry, I mean 1882ix-12.I checked 1882i with 8-port, this type cannot be expanded to 4Gb SDRAM, and  as I read here (other topic) 1882ix/12 already PCIe 3.0 while 1882i not sure.I dont know what is the significamce of sdram 1Gb vs 4Gb?

Thanks for the help about hdd-s!

• 3. Re: New Disk setup help
              Harm Millaard Level 7

You are correct that the cache on the 8-port model can not be increased, but with SATA3 disks with 64 GB cache, that is not a major problem. If you are only using 4 disks in an array, it simply means when you are under budget constraints, you have to chose. In your case I suggested the 8-port with some cache limitations, because chances are you will not outgrow the number of ports soon and the impact of the expandable cache is small. The on-board cache memory on the 8-port model is still comparable to other brands.

• 4. Re: New Disk setup help
                Dvico Level 1

Thanks.And my last question is what about the PCIe 3.0 vs 2.0 interface?It's not a big disadvantage between 8 and 12-port version?Mybe they will release a cheaper 8-port PCIe 3.0 soon?