7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2012 3:38 PM by jpny

Premiere CS6 Hangs when Importing Video from P2 Camera

DavRW2012 Level 1

I just bought Premiere CS6.  I am a Final Cut Pro refugee, running Mac OS Snow Leopard.

So far (day 1) I am having three serious problems, one major, one less so, and one intermediary.

First, when I try to import video off my P2 camera using the Media Browser, Premiere hangs.  When I force quit, a dialog box briefly pops up saying that a "serious error" has occured.  If I can't load my video into Premiere, this is a serious problem.

Is this a known issue?

Second, when I view the contents of my P2 card in the media browser, the order of the clips is totally jumbled.

If I can get the media browser import function to work, is there a way to view the clips in the order in which they were shot?

Third, I tried to "ingest" my clips through Prelude, which just copied the whole arcane folder structure of the P2 card onto my local hard disk.  I could do this in the Mac OS Desktop and I really don't see the point of Prelude.  I would rather not navigate the arcane P2 folder structure, and I need something that will take my video out of Panasonic's .mxf wrapper file.

I've noticed that I can drag the .mxf files directly into Premiere, but is there a way to import my video that will also extract the files from the .mxf wrapper, so that I can also open the files in other software?

I downloaded the Premiere CS6 updater but it didn't help.

Together, these issues represent serious defects that cripple my ability to use this software.

• 1. Re: Premiere CS6 Hangs when Importing Video from P2 Camera
          Jim_Simon Level 8

copied the whole arcane folder structure of the P2 card onto my local hard disk.

That is the way Adobe software works.  Use Finder to copy over the entire card before you begin working.

• 2. Re: Premiere CS6 Hangs when Importing Video from P2 Camera
            shooternz Level 6

Try downloading the files from your P2 cards directly to a local drive in your NLE then use Media Browser to bring them into PPRO.

You can use Prelude to do this if you choose but you can also just do it via Explorer or finder and skip out Prelude

If I can get the media browser lmport function to work, is there a way to view the clips in the order in which they were shot?

Easy. Do a sort on the Start TC column.

Why do you want to extract the files out of the mxf wrapper?

• 3. Re: Premiere CS6 Hangs when Importing Video from P2 Camera
              DavRW2012 Level 1

Hi shooternz,

Thanks for the suggestion that I sort in the media browser using different criteria.  It took a minute to figure out where I could customize the columns, but I think I can find something in there that will work (date modified seems to give me the most consistent results).

I want to get the data out of the MXF wrapper so I can open the files up in other applications.  I use a lot of open source software and I would like to get the video into a Quicktime movie without re-encoding, as re-encoding would defeat one of the major selling points for digital video compared to analog.

• 4. Re: Premiere CS6 Hangs when Importing Video from P2 Camera
                shooternz Level 6

Actually I was suggesting the start timecode column in the Project Window.

• 5. Re: Premiere CS6 Hangs when Importing Video from P2 Camera
                  DavRW2012 Level 1

Well, I fixed my problem with the crash-on-import by booting my machine off the install disk, repairing permissions with the disk utility, and then re-installing Premiere.

Help system still non-functional.

I've been experimenting with ways to process my mxf files so that my video is more interoperable.

When exporting from a Premiere timeline, Premiere does not seem to properly set an anamorphic flag on 720p DVCPRO HD material, resulting in a square image.

If I re-encode my mxf files in Apple Intermediate Codec, the aspect ratio comes out correctly, but the codec adjusts the gamma, resulting in a lighter image.

If I re-encode my files as ProRes, the aspect ratio and gamma are correct, but my utility software won't read ProRes.

I've figured out that Prelude will just alter my workflow; I can cope with that.  But I need my files to be interoperable, and I don't want to be locked into a completely proprietary workflow.

• 6. Re: Premiere CS6 Hangs when Importing Video from P2 Camera
                    DavRW2012 Level 1

I downloaded Panasonic's P2CMS

https://eww.pass.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/support/desk/e/download.htm#p2cmsmac

which is more or less equivalent to Prelude -- except it also installs an MXF QuickTime component that allows me to open the MXF files natively in any software that hooks into QuickTime.  This has alleviated a large portion of my interoperability problems.

The P2CMS also adds a DVCPROHD codec that can conflict with Apple's.  The Panasonic codec should be removed, and can be found in ROOT > Library > QuickTime

• 7. Re: Premiere CS6 Hangs when Importing Video from P2 Camera
                      jpny

Im have the exact same issue with the importing or P2 files and premere crashing/ hagingup, i on the other hand have been using adobe for over 4 years and never had this issue, i still have CS5 on comp and there are no problems there, kinda silly i cant use CS6 for work....

so what did you exactly do to fix issue??

also i know exactly what porblem u are running into with the aspect ratio problems, been an issue for as long as i have been working with adobe premere and HVX, and i can help u there, simply dont use DVCproHD sequence if you are going to DVD just do a DV widscreen sequence and all the ratio problems will fix when u go to encore. or use DVCproHD sequence but drop the entire sequence you worked on into a DV widscreen sequence or an HDV sequence and resize acordingly (make lager or smaler so fits properly in 16/9) the problem is some of the P2 cameras are not a true 16/9 there like 15/9 or somthing, its odd, anyway thats what i do, it doesnt really ad much time and it workes

Dear adobe plp if you read this, then you know about problem importing, whatever he did dosnt seem like you should have to do that... any questions feel free to contact me.