7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2012 3:17 PM by conroy

Please remove restrictions in gradient editing

conroy Level 5

Ps CS6 (13.0)

OS X 10.6.8

This is something I've meant to mention for a while.

I find it annoying that changes in the resulting pixels are not displayed while a control in the Gradient Fill, Layer Style Gradient Overlay, Gradient Editor and Color Picker dialogues is being dragged. The mouse button has to be released for the change to be displayed in the resulting pixels. (I realise that the controls can be manipulated in ways other than dragging to see instantaneous changes to the image pixels. For example, the mouse wheel or keyboard arrows.)

Another annoyance is that the Gradient Editor window prevents operation of controls (such as scale and orientation) in the Gradient Fill and Layer Style Gradient Overlay dialogues.

Hopefully, future Ps will not have these restrictions.

The lack of feedback in the image while mouse-dragging controls affects more than just the editing of gradients, of course. Thankfully, many dialogues are not restricted in this way, for example, image adjustments.

• 1. Re: Please remove restrictions in gradient editing
          Noel Carboni Level 8

I agree, it would be nice for gradients to be updated in real time.  Great suggestion - anything that makes it easier / more direct to get the exact look and feel you want would be a plus.

From a programmer's point of view, the dialogs that work one way and those that work other ways are different dialog types (e.g., modal vs. non-modal), which may be at the root of the restrictions.  It's also possible that with the computers of yesteryear it was unlikely that the update could occur in real time, so they thought a modal dialog was more appropriate, while those rules are changing with the advent of faster multi-core systems and GPU acceleration.

Unfortunately, Adobe seems to be somewhat allergic to revisiting core functionality.  Note their reluctance to bring existing artistic filters up from 8 bit to 16 bit, for example, or to revamp the file-save process.  It's possible that it's difficult to change such things without causing inadvertant breakage of related features.  The code base is long in the tooth at this point.

-Noel

• 2. Re: Please remove restrictions in gradient editing
            conroy Level 5

Hi Noel, thanks for your support.

Yep, I feel that Ps, although very powerful and without rival in some ways, is quite severely hampered by architecture and legacy code from the 1990s. You mentioned artistic filters and that's an area in which Ps really is showing its age. There's modern budget software which provides far more control in basics such as halftone effect and procedural image generators like clouds, and without frankly terrible usability limitations such as having to quit a filter gallery in order to pick new colours for an effect. Competitors also provide real-time display in the image of the net result of a stack of filters while adjusting filters below the top of the stack. And now Adobe has abandoned Pixel Bender!

• 3. Re: Please remove restrictions in gradient editing
              conroy Level 5

the dialogs that work one way and those that work other ways are different dialog types (e.g., modal vs. non-modal), which may be at the root of the restrictions. 

Well, the lack of feedback in the image while dragging in a modal dialogue is not consistent. Leaving aside the fact that you can have realtime feedback in a document window while dragging controls in modal dialogues in other apps, the feedback sometimes happens in Ps and sometimes it doesn't. Take the Gradient Fill dialogue. Dragging the Angle rotator has no result in the image until the mouse button is released, but dragging the Scale label does result in realtime feedback in the image without releasing the button.

• 5. Re: Please remove restrictions in gradient editing
                Noel Carboni Level 8

Personally I think it's RIDICULOUS that Adobe should run several different forums.  And they can take that "vote this suggestion up" BS and shove it.  Public opinion is NOT how to develop good software - true technical leadership requires thinking, not online buzz.

There, I feel better.  I hope that rant doesn't make you feel worse.

-Noel

P.S., that said, I'm a realist.  Conroy, if you do create a suggestion over there, please report back here.  I'll vote for it for you.

• 6. Re: Please remove restrictions in gradient editing
                  conroy Level 5

I'm sure Chris has said that there is no need to post messages to Adobe in the feedback forum in addition to here. I realise the feedback forum has a voting feature (which about ten people on the planet use) but I hope that this isn't something that requires votes to be improved.

• 7. Re: Please remove restrictions in gradient editing
                    conroy Level 5

We posted similarly, simultaneously, Noel.

I don't think the voting thing makes any difference when you consider that it doesn't seem to be used by more than 0.00001% of Ps users. Having said that, I've added my own vote to several suggestions.