6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2012 6:31 AM by Peter Spier

InDesign CS5.5 Crashing OSX 10.6.8

garestaylan

Hey everyone. We have an iMac here running OSX 10.6.8. The user was having issues with InDesign CS5.5. What was happening was he was no longer able to select objects and move them around. Likewise, he was missing options like copy, paste, etc. This did not happen under a new user profile I created for myself.

I cleared his InDesign preferences under his profile's preferences and that didnt fix it. So we did an uninstall and reinstall of CS5.5. Upon doing so, now his InDesign crashes on startup. Its ONLY InDesign CS5.5, all other programs are fine. Here is the report:

http://pastebin.com/B0xZbkjE

Here is what I tried:

-Updated to 7.5.1, 7.5.2 and 7.5.3.

-Cleared preferences again

-Copied working preferences over from working account

-Made sure no other programs were running

-Cleared SING files

None of these issues worked. I really dont want to go through creating a new profile for this end user. Any ideas what we can do to fix this?

• 1. Re: InDesign CS5.5 Crashing OSX 10.6.8
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Update to 7.5.3 and poat a new report, if it still crashes.

• 2. Re: InDesign CS5.5 Crashing OSX 10.6.8
            Manish-Sharma Employee Moderator

Peter ,I think  they have already tried it , check the first point in "What I tried"

If it has worked in the new user account then it is the user profile issue , you can

~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe InDesign CS5.5
            ~/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign
            ~/Library/Caches/com.adobe.InDesign
            ~/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign
            ~/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.InDesign.plist
            ~/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.InDesign.plist.lockfile
            ~/Library/Saved Application State/com.adobe.InDesign.savedState

So quit Indesign and the move this files to new temp folder on the desktop , just to be safe and then restart Indesign and then check.

• 3. Re: InDesign CS5.5 Crashing OSX 10.6.8

But they didn't update after reinstalling -- the crash report is from version 7.5.0....

• 4. Re: InDesign CS5.5 Crashing OSX 10.6.8
                Manish-Sharma Employee Moderator

Ahhh...didn't see that jumped to the thread section , so they have re-installed the software as well (which is not mentioned in the note ) or they haven't updated the Indesign.

In any case , update the Indesign and provide the new crash log.

• 5. Re: InDesign CS5.5 Crashing OSX 10.6.8
                  garestaylan Level 1

I apologize, I suppose I should have been more clear. I actually did state that we reinstalled the software...

"I cleared his InDesign preferences under his profile's preferences and that didnt fix it. So we did an uninstall and reinstall of CS5.5. Upon doing so, now his InDesign crashes on startup. Its ONLY InDesign CS5.5, all other programs are fine. "

The error report I pulled was done after the second uninstall/reinstall. I updated to 7.5.3 again, and the issue is still occuring. I can have the end user sent an error report again if necessary, but I doubt anything will have changed.

I also tried the steps listed below, but this did not help.

"~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe InDesign CS5.5

~/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign
                  ~/Library/Caches/com.adobe.InDesign
                  ~/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign
                  ~/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.InDesign.plist

So quit Indesign and the move this files to new temp folder on the desktop , just to be safe and then restart Indesign and then check."

I should note that there were two of the items listed above that dont even exist on the machine. Im not sure if its because they arent being created because InDesign isnt getting that far when it launches or what... but I would assume they should be there since they havent been cleared yet. These are:

~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe InDesign CS5.5

• 6. Re: InDesign CS5.5 Crashing OSX 10.6.8

Well, it really would be helpful to see a crash report from the current state of ID.