14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2013 6:09 AM by jahmanwife@hotmail.com

Source of the file can not be read

jahmanwife@hotmail.com Level 1

Hi all ... maybe someone can give me some ideas?

I have a client who is trying to download these video's.  Hunt you might remember we changes them over to the XVID - MPEG4 format.  Well, I'm still not able to get the downloads stable enough so that I feel confident to actually try to make money from their sales.  Anyway, my client tried to download them yesterday and got the following message. 

Do you have any ideas as to what is going on and how I might fix this?

THANKS!!!

ERROR:

C:\DOCUME l\OWNER\LOCALS l\Temp\ighWBWGG.avi.part could not be saved, because the source file could not be read

There is another symbol that I duplicate. It comes after the DOCUME and after LOCALS..It a "wave"

• 1. Re: Source of the file can not be read
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What do you mean "he is trying to download these videos"? Are you saying you have them posted to a web site and he literally can't download them?

Or do you mean he can't view them. If this is the case, make sure he has a Divx viewer.

• 2. Re: Source of the file can not be read

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply.

I have these video's loaded on Amazon S3 storage and then they go through an program that I am trying to use to auto-deliver them to the end user.

They are receiving the download links and click on them but a few minutes in they get the message above. 

I tried doing it myself again finding it downloaded and played without a problem.  I never had to load the DIVX viewer.  I mentioned that maybe they should try to update their Windows Media Player to see if that helped.  That's what auto opens when I have watched them in the past.

I also wrote the man who offers the auto-delivery software to see why the c:\docum .... would be the path for this since the program is directed to pull them off of Amazon.

Sigh, one day I might get this whole thing going, smile.

THANKS again for your reply and help!

• 3. Re: Source of the file can not be read
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Things to do... in this order

>loaded on Amazon S3 storage

1-Check with Amazon to find out what works for other people

>go through an program that I am trying to use

2-Ask the author of the program why it is not working

>see why the c:\docum .... would be the path

3-If #2 results in a reason for the path, you MAY have a Windows security/permission problem

• 4. Re: Source of the file can not be read

Thank you for this reply John. 

1.  I wrote Amazon and have not gotten a reply.  I have not found their forum very helpful or active.  At least, with not with my inquiry.

2.  The programmer is in a different time zone so that's part of the reason I go searching for answers while he's sleeping and I'm trying to work.  He is looking into this now.

3.  What would I look for with this security/permission problem? 

These video's have been downloaded in the past without that message.  They were slow but the path was back to the Amazon link. 

THANKS AGAIN!!!!

• 5. Re: Source of the file can not be read

SO .... I've heard nothing back yet from the programmer or AMAZON!  So I thought I'd send this customer a link to the video's without going through the shopping cart thinking maybe there was a problem with something there.

Wait till you see the newest error message.  NOW THIS HAS ME WORRIED!!!!  C:\Documents and Settings\James Bond\My Documents/Downloads

That's not part of the download link.  I sent myself a download link yesterday the same way I sent this to the customer and tested it with no problems what so all. 

So now I'm wondering is this a path from their computer or mine?  I did a quick search on my end and don't have a james bond file anywhere.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

THANKS!

• 6. Re: Source of the file can not be read
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Using Windows 7 and Internet Explorer... when I download a file, IE remembers the last place I used as a download destination, and uses that as the new location unless I manually tell IE to go find a different location

As far as permissions... I built my computer and installed Win7, so I am the only user of a non-public computer... and run the computer with the one and only user account... Administrator

Even then, if I do try and download a file to the root of the C drive instead of to a directory (folder in today's terms) Win7 will stop and make me verify that I want to download to that location... Win7 security permissions DO sometimes get in the way of work as usual

• 7. Re: Source of the file can not be read
                      nealeh Level 5

I think the one thing we can be sure of is that this is not a Premiere Elements issue .

C:\Documents and Settings is not a 'user' usable folder in Windows 7. Perhaps it's for backward compatibility.

1.png

Neither System nor Administrator has 'ordinary' access to that folder.

2.png

I think you should investigate where the link is trying to Download to - I suggest you or your customer select Libraries> Downloads.

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale
                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 8. Re: Source of the file can not be read

Thanks to both of you.  I realized this is not a Premiere problem but I have been trying to get this auto-download stuff working for maybe 2 months now without great success and need to get to sell these already.  No one else in other forums who might have helped were responding.  SO THANKS FOR TAKING TIME TO HELP!

I realized yesterday that the path she was showing me probably wasn't where the system was grabbing the files on my end but where they were trying to store them on hers.  She's even less computer savvy then me.  She's using XP Home Edition so will try to help her locate these files. 

In the meantime I'm looking for another solution for the video delivery system.  If anyone has an economical solution I'm listening!

THANKS!!!!

• 9. Re: Source of the file can not be read

I've just gotten another customer with a video download that is having trouble.  I apologize that I just don't understand how to tell them to fix this.  I've written to the forum at Divx who converted the video to an .avi format.  I had the customer download their free software in case compatibility was an issue.

Here are the errors she is getting. 

Before the divx software download:

C:\Users\Kelley\Desktop\advrimftrt.avi.part could not be saved, because the source file could not be read. Try again later, or contact the server administrator."

After the divx software download:

C:\Users\Kelley\AppData\Local\Temp\P8SR5SU1.avi.part could not be saved, because the source file could not be read. Try again later, or contact the server administrator

Is this on my end or her end?  Any thoughts on how I can fix this?

THANKS!!!!

• 10. Re: Source of the file can not be read
                            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You may want to consider using Dropbox to deliver your files. It's very simple and free. You just drag and drop the file and then send your client the link to it.

https://www.dropbox.com/

• 11. Re: Source of the file can not be read

Thanks for the suggestion Steve.  I looked at dropbox but don't think this will work.  I sell the video's and don't see that it has any security feature. Some of the video's are pretty large which would mean I'd have to purchase a larger package.  I just wonder if this is a problem on the end of Amazon S3. 

What doesn't make sense is I've had 5 other people make the same purchase over the past couple of days and they've had no problems. 

So why would this customer suddenly experience the download issues?  I've still heard nothing back from DivX who I would hope could help me.

I guess my question is ... is this about the .avi extension or something to do with the server administrator permissions.  If the latter is that then how S3 is setup or from my own computer? 

You see I have no idea so any hints are appreciated.

THANKS!

• 12. Re: Source of the file can not be read
                                nealeh Level 5

The fact that the filename ends in .part makes me think it is an Amazon problem.

I'm guessing that whatever method they use to send the file (to the person downloading) splits the file into parts and then, after all parts are downloaded, reassembles them into one file. The message likely means that a connection error aborted one of the file part downloads.

Cheers,
                                --
                                Neale
                                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

• 13. Re: Source of the file can not be read
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

nealeh

Several times I have downloaded files from the Internet, not from Amazon, designating the computer desktop for the save for the downloaded files. And, on more than one occasion I have observed two folders during the download, one with the download name and the other with the .part file extension. During the download process, the folder with the file name remained empty as the content of the other folder grew.

When the download was complete, the folder with the .part in its file name disappeared and only the folder with the download name remained with full content.

ATR

• 14. Re: Source of the file can not be read

Thanks for this Neale,

From the little I understand of this process I tend to agree.  I have finally heard back from Amazon and they will see if they can troubleshoot the problem.

FYI, I uploaded the video to sendspace and the client downloaded it without a problem. 

I'm not sure if anyone here is interested in the solution if I get one but I can post it if you want to know.

THANKS!!!!

I appreciate you sharing your experience ATR.  You experience is interesting.  I wish I understood the process of these downloads better. 

Take care!