1 2 Previous Next 41 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2012 12:20 PM by conroy

Batch editing

danrx66 Level 1

When I use the batch command in Photoshop CS5 the results are the same as if I did the touch up manually.  This is not true in CS6.  What can I do to rectify this problem.

Dan

• 1. Re: Batch editing
          Level 5

Not only did you give zero information as to your setup, platform (Macintosh or Windows), exact version of the OS and machine specs, but, what really prevents me personally from attempting to help is that I have no idea what you are talking about.  Please describe your issue in detail.

• 2. Re: Batch editing
            danrx66 Level 1

I am using window 7, 64bit with 8 gigs of ram.  What is not understood in same results using the batch command, and manually re touching in CS5,  but not the same when done in CS6.  The results are different in CS6.

• 3. Re: Batch editing
              Level 5

I just replied to your duplicate thread.

…and I hereby give up trying to pry information out of you.  My mind-reader/clairvoyant hat is at the cleaners.

• 4. Re: Batch editing
                conroy Level 5

Please provide information about the Action performed in the batch.

• 5. Re: Batch editing
                  Sharon Huang Level 3

Could you please tell us how are the results different?

• 6. Re: Batch editing
                    ryan.marchese Level 1

In addition to Sharon's question, can you also (briefly) tell us what kind of retouching or effects you are having the Action/Batch perform? It's possible you're running into tool or effect changes between the 2 versions.

• 7. Re: Batch editing
                      JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Dan there are many bugs in CS6 perhaps the action you tested with hit one or more of these bugs we can not tell you give no details of what the action does and how it faild to work correctly in CS6.

• 8. Re: Batch editing
                        danrx66 Level 1

it is as simple as an AUTO level adjustment and moving the far right slider (lighten) to the left a bit.  When I do it manually it looks great, when I use the Batch command I get a too lightened image.  This is CS6.

• 9. Re: Batch editing
                          danrx66 Level 1

please see the reply to conroy2009.

• 10. Re: Batch editing
                            danrx66 Level 1

• 11. Re: Batch editing
                              danrx66 Level 1

please see the reply to conroy2009. I am using the same thing is both versions.

• 12. Re: Batch editing
                                ryan.marchese Level 1

When you upgraded to CS6, did you rebuild the action? Or did you just load your CS5 action into the new program? What you may have to do is rewrite your action in CS6.

Although the changes are minor, there are usually programming refinements and performance updates for adjustments (and similar effects) between versions of the programs. From what I have seen, the Levels adjustments have had slight changes and seem to be more sensitive than the CS5 version.

• 13. Re: Batch editing
                                  danrx66 Level 1

yes, I did rebuild the action. The action is changed according to the needs of the image.  But, it happens every time (the over lightening or darkening)

• 14. Re: Batch editing

Are you using the same source image file that has not been adjusted? On the same Machine and environment. Perhaps you can post your results of CS5 and CS6.  Make two copies of the source image file and post these three files source image file results of cs5 on copy 1 and the results if CS6 on copy 2. If posible post a link to the action set and name the action in the set.

• 15. Re: Batch editing
                                      danrx66 Level 1

I do have two photos that show what happens. How do I upload them and what format/size should they be?

• 16. Re: Batch editing

danrx66 wrote:

yes, I did rebuild the action. The action is changed according to the needs of the image.  But, it happens every time (the over lightening or darkening)

You need to use the exact same action on both versions of Photoshop and also make sure the default settings for Auto Levels are set the same for these are changeable and  Auto Level was enhances in CS6 and there is a new Adobe Photoshop default

ALDft.jpg

• 17. Re: Batch editing
                                          danrx66 Level 1

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

• 18. Re: Batch editing
                                            conroy Level 5

Using Ps CS6 (13.0) on OS X 10.6.8

OK, I recorded Image>Adjustments>Levels... Auto followed by changing high input to 155.

I didn't go as far as doing a batch because I can confirm that replaying the Action gave a different result than the manual operation which was recorded by the Action.

I repeated the test by recording the Action again with another image. Again, the result was a difference between manual operation and Action playback.

See screenshot of the Action and the difference between the result of manual operation and Action playback, amplified for clarity by an exposure of +10. Other images and adjustments may give a far greater difference, of course.

Screen-shot-2012-07-19-at-22.57.29.png

• 19. Re: Batch editing
                                              danrx66 Level 1

The option did the trick.  Thank you.  Evidently if the options are diffrent you get different results which makes sense.

• 20. Re: Batch editing

Adobe added a new Algorithm to Auto Levels in CS6 and made it the default for Autolevels. "Enhance Brightness and Contrast" is the new algorithm and default each image will be processed differently then the older  algorithms options which are still available and can be set as the default. "Enhanced Monochromatic Contrast", "Enhance Per Channel Contrast" and "Find Dark and Light Colors"

Check out this video http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-photoshop-cs6/auto-corrections/?go=13227

• 21. Re: Batch editing
                                                  conroy Level 5

danrx66 wrote:

The option did the trick.  Thank you.  Evidently if the options are diffrent you get different results which makes sense.

I still got slight (probably insignificant in most cases) differences between manual operation and playback of an Action, entirely done in CS6 with no changing options. The difference isn't hard to see without enhancement in the yellow/amber band of my screenshot.

• 22. Re: Batch editing

Did you try setting CS6 Autolevels default to auto options to the CS5 default setings not use the CS6 default Here is what I see in CS5

CS5ALDflt.jpg

• 23. Re: Batch editing
                                                      Noel Carboni Level 8

There are some bugs in Photoshop CS6 with regard to processing certain stored actions steps, such as Brightness/Contrast, in which the new version doesn't process the steps in the same way that the older versions did.  I reported them during the beta, as have others (including JJ above).  We all hope these are fixed in 13.0.1.

It would be helpful if you would post a copy of your specific action, or at least detail the steps (e.g., show a completely expanded screen grab - or is the entire thing showing above?).

danrx66 wrote:

Please consider using the web interface rather than answering eMails, if that's what you're doing.  Don't assume people who have requested more information haven't seen your latest response - it may be that they're asking for even more information, as you started out being pretty terse.

-Noel

• 24. Re: Batch editing
                                                        conroy Level 5

JJ, I used CS6 entirely to compare manual operation versus Action playback. I recorded the Action in CS6 and played it in CS6, so the result should have been exactly the same as doing the adjustment manually. However, there was a repeatable difference with both of the two test runs involving different images.

• 25. Re: Batch editing
                                                          danrx66 Level 1

I am dealing with a photo thru a microscope of animals too small to see with the naked eye and they may process differently than regular photographs.

Thanks for your help conroy2009!

• 26. Re: Batch editing
                                                            danrx66 Level 1

yes I did and it made all the diffrence in the world. Thanks for your help.

• 27. Re: Batch editing

Yes there are many bugs in CS6.  Auto Color and Auto Lever have been changed so the way Adobe been working lately there likely bugs in changed area.  Have you tried the old default setting. Perhaps you can pinpoint the problem to the new enhancement you know the new "Enhance Brightness and Contrast" option the new default?  That is why I suggested setting CS5 defaults into CS6.

• 28. Re: Batch editing
                                                                danrx66 Level 1

I am using the web interface.

• 29. Re: Batch editing
                                                                  danrx66 Level 1

Thanks, at least I'm not totally crazy, just a little.

• 30. Re: Batch editing
                                                                    danrx66 Level 1

I'll give it a try.

• 31. Re: Batch editing

danrx66 wrote:

Just like the rest of us.

• 32. Re: Batch editing
                                                                        Noel Carboni Level 8

After having made the default change JJ suggested above, I could not get a difference between manual and automatic operation in Photoshop CS6, nor between Photoshop CS5 and CS6, with the test images I tried.

Would you be willing to post a small version of (or part of) one of your images, Dan?

-Noel

• 33. Re: Batch editing
                                                                          Noel Carboni Level 8

This is the action and these are my settings:

AutoLevelsSettings.jpg

Maybe a Mac vs. PC thing?  I'm on a PC.

-Noel

• 34. Re: Batch editing
                                                                            danrx66 Level 1

Sure,batchEdited-CS6.jpgManuallyedited_CS6.jpg they are before I changed options per this discussionBatch_CS5_0737.jpgManuallyedited_CS6.jpg

First- CS6 batch edited

second- CS6 manual

third- CS5 manual

fourth- CS5 batch edited

• 35. Re: Batch editing
                                                                              Noel Carboni Level 8

Could you post an un-edited original please?  I'd like to try the action I recorded on it via Photoshops CS5 and CS6.

-Noel

• 36. Re: Batch editing
                                                                                conroy Level 5

danrx66 wrote:

I bet you were totally sane until using CS6

• 37. Re: Batch editing
                                                                                  danrx66 Level 1

Didn't mean to leave you hanging but the wife and I had dinner plans.  Here is the original you asked for.

Original_IMG_0737.jpg

• 38. Re: Batch editing
                                                                                    conroy Level 5

We have a problem.

This post concerns Ps CS6 (13.0) on OS X 10.6.8 only. It has nothing to do with CS5.1 or any other version of Ps except CS6.

CS6 Action playback with Levels does not reliably produce the same result as the manual operation that was recorded.

The original image "Original_IMG_0737.jpg" has no embedded profile, so I set Working Space to sRGB then opened the image and assigned sRGB to it.

I set the default for Levels Auto to the same as that which Noel used - "Enhance Per Channel Contrast" - then confirmed that the default was maintained.

Test 1: Levels Auto and no further adjustment of controls. Manual op and Action playback produced identical result. A repeat of the test gave the same match of manual and playback.

Test 2: Levels Auto and input high control changed to 210. Manual op and Action playback were different. A repeat of the test gave the same mismatch of manual and playback.

I set the default for Levels Auto to "Enhance Brightness and Contrast" then confirmed that the default was maintained.

Test 3: Levels Auto and no further adjustment of controls. Manual op and Action playback produced identical result. A repeat of the test gave the same match of manual and playback.

Test 4: Levels Auto and input high control changed to 145. Manual op and Action playback were different. A repeat of the test gave the same mismatch of manual and playback.

-------

Action playback in tests 2 and 4, where Auto was followed by a change to the input high control, was identical in test 2 and almost identical in test 4 to the manual result which is obtained when Auto mode is "Enhance Monochromatic Contrast" and input high control is changed.

For some reason, an Action containing a Levels Auto and change of input high control produces a result that's either identical to, or very close to, Levels Auto mode "Enhance Monochromatic Contrast" and the changed control, regardless of the actual Levels default Auto mode.

Three images follow.

1. Manually operated Levels Auto "Enhance Brightness and Contrast" and input high 145

2. Playback of Action containing Levels Auto "Enhance Brightness and Contrast" and input high 145

3. Manually operated Levels Auto "Enhance Monochromatic Contrast" and input high 145

The second image should have matched the first, but it is far closer to the third.

Test 4 manual Auto-Bright and high-145.png

Test 4 play Auto-Bright and high-145.png

manual Auto-Mono and high-145.png

• 39. Re: Batch editing

OK now  I had to make the test myself to see what up.  I feel it a problem and its not a new problem actions should play like recorded.  I ran the test on the png file in CS5 using Autolevels enhance per channel and set the input 255 to 145 recording that step. I then played the action on a dup document the results were indeed different.  CS6 acted the same way. So I fired up CS2. When I opened the png file I received a message that the file format did not support the enbeded profile??? So I check the option assign sRGB for I saw that the image was sRGB in CS5 and CS6. I repeated the test in CS2 and observed ths same problem I saw in CS5 and CS6.  I have lost my CS3 systems to two head crashes and can not install CS3 without calling Adobe because of activation. I don't have CS4.  I see the problem in CS2, CS5 and CS6 my guess I would also see the same problem in CS3 and CS4...

1 2 Previous Next