7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2012 9:05 AM by cfg_2451

Trimming a Multicam sequence (not just switching angles)

rchallen1

I've just started using Premiere 5.5 and I'm trying to see if there's a simpler way to achieve what I need with MultiCam editing. Here's my setup:

I have 3 clips, shot simultaneously from 3 different angles, each lasting about 20 minutes. I want to cut between the different angles AND edit out the dead air/blown lines/etc. The final clip will probably be around 5 minutes.

If I was editing a single clip, I would simply pull it up in the Source Monitor, use Mark In/Mark Out to "grab" the good pieces, and then Insert/Overwrite that footage into the Timeline. Simple no-nonsense way to edit 20 minutes down to 5. But with MultiCam editing, the entire 20-min original footage is already nested in the sequence, and the editing is simply choosing camera angles. If I want to trim the footage in addition to choosing camera angles, it appears I have to go into the TimeLine itself and do all my trimming and dragging from there.

Is there a way to preview the MultiCam footage in the Source Monitor and simply Insert the pieces you want into a brand new sequence? (In addition to choosing the different angles for each piece?) For me, that seems MUCH simpler than having the entire sequence on the Timeline itself and chopping out 75% of it after the fact.

I might be missing something obvious, so please let me know! I've checked out several different Video Tutorials from Adobe but they all focus on a Multicam edit of choosing different angles with no real cuts within the footage itself.

Thanks,

Rich

• 1. Re: Trimming a Multicam sequence (not just switching angles)
          Shadreck Rukweza Level 2
          If I want to trim the footage in addition to choosing camera angles, it appears I have to go into the TimeLine itself and do all my trimming and dragging from there.

Thats exactly what you have to do! You can also use the trim monitor by pressing T on your keyboard.

• 2. Re: Trimming a Multicam sequence (not just switching angles)
            rchallen1 Level 1

Aha. Well, that's slightly disappointing... I was using Liquid for many years, and while it's an inferior program otherwise, the ability to Mark In & Out on a MultiCam Sync file and drop portions into the Timeline was something I utilized CONSTANTLY. Shame Premiere doesn't offer that.

But I found a decent workaround... I basically do all the angle edits in my nested sequence, then copy-n-paste the portions I need into a new sequence. I suppose with less edits, I could just do all the Trims in the original Sequence though.

Thanks for the "T" shortcut tip. What's the easiest way to delete a clip where the rest of the Timeline will automatically shift, rather than leaving the blank space where the clip previously sat?

• 3. Re: Trimming a Multicam sequence (not just switching angles)
              Shadreck Rukweza Level 2

rchallen1 wrote:

What's the easiest way to delete a clip where the rest of the Timeline will automatically shift, rather than leaving the blank space where the clip previously sat?

You can press B then trim the desired clip or right click the clip and select ripple delete. Have a look at the edit tools and each and see how best it can help you.

• 4. Re: Trimming a Multicam sequence (not just switching angles)
                cfg_2451 Level 2

rchallen1 wrote:

... with MultiCam editing, the entire 20-min original footage is already nested in the sequence, and the editing is simply choosing camera angles. If I want to trim the footage in addition to choosing camera angles, it appears I have to go into the TimeLine itself and do all my trimming and dragging from there.

Is there a way to preview the MultiCam footage in the Source Monitor and simply Insert the pieces you want into a brand new sequence?

Not exactly. But there is a workflow that accomplishes what you want in a slightly different way.

What I typically do is to nest the multi-cam edit sequence into what I call a "target" sequence. Then I do my timeline editing on this target sequence. Why? So if I screw it up I don't have to start over from scratch and redo my camera angle choices all over again. I can just delete my target sequence, then create a new one, nest my multi-cam edit sequence in this new one, and start over. Repeat as needed until I get what I want. Typically I'll have three or four of these targets, pulling different bits and pieces out of the results of the multi-cam edit, for web videos, teasers, or to isolate a single topic.

Easy enough to do. When you get done picking camera angles, go to the Program Manager window and click on the "new item" icon on the bottom edge of the window. Select "sequence" from the pop up menu, and name it something you can identify like "target". Then click on the multi-cam edit sequence icon in the Project Manager window, and drag that down to your new timeline. Edit at will -- nothing you do in this new sequence will harm or change anything you did in your multi-cam edit sequence. But, if you change things in your multi-cam edit sequence, this changes will trickle down to your target sequence. So you can still adjust your timing on camera angle switches and these changes will show up in your target sequence.

• 5. Re: Trimming a Multicam sequence (not just switching angles)
                  rchallen1 Level 1

Aha. So if I'm understanding you correctly, you're basically doing two passes... First you "edit" the different angles in your MultiCam sequence... Then once you like those, you move that into a new sequence and do your trimming. Not a bad idea.

I actually wound up falling into a pattern I think will work well for me. Similar approach: I edit my original MultiCam sequence with angles only... But at the beginning and end of a "piece," I make sure to switch the angle so I have an easy way to spot it on the Timeline. (I could also drop markers I suppose...) After I do my angle edits within the "piece," I copy the entire segement--with angle edits--and paste it into my finalized Timeline.

The other advantage (for me) is that if I feel like adding some outtakes at the end of the final edit, it's easy to go back to the original multicam sequence, spot the segments that haven't been touched, and pull the necessary flubs/bloopers from there.

This also works because I typically don't have pickup shots... Everything is being shot in sequence and edited the same way. I do really like the idea of nesting sequences. I assume that when you export a sequence containing a couple nests, those sequences are rendered at that time, right? No need to render them in advance?

• 6. Re: Trimming a Multicam sequence (not just switching angles)
                    Greg Baber Adobe Employee

You do not need to render any sequences in advance.  Premiere will handle all of it.

• 7. Re: Trimming a Multicam sequence (not just switching angles)
                      cfg_2451 Level 2

rchallen1 wrote:

I do really like the idea of nesting sequences. I assume that when you export a sequence containing a couple nests, those sequences are rendered at that time, right? No need to render them in advance?

You don't need to render anything in advance, no. What PPro does at export time is start with the original untouched footage, then apply your changes. Can be a huge lot of changes (cuts, effects, time remappings, multi-cam edits, everything that PPro offers, and things added by Dynamic Link from programs such as After Effects too), over as many nested sequences as you needed to make. All of it, including the levels of nesting and the dynamic links, flows down so that the final export looks and sounds like your bottom level target sequences.

The only "problem" I have doing this is that sometimes I forget to turn an effect back on. Say for example that I applied a denoiser like Neat Video to one camera angle in my source sequence. Got it to look right, then turned the effect off so I'd get better preview monitor performance when doing the multi-cam edit and when doing things like using the three way color corrector on my target sequence. In order for the Neat Video effect to show up in the exported footage, you have to go back and turn it on before you export. Easy to forget.

Been bit by that one once. Otherwise, it's a reasonable workflow. Not mine, BTW. I got it from the good folks of this forum.