4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2012 11:17 AM by stevehaskin@att.net

File links go missing files in bins

stevehaskin@att.net Level 1

Premiere Pro CS6. I'm working on a fairly complex project with lots and lots of still images and dynamic links to AE CS6. Never had this happen before, but while I'm working on a project with lots of bins and sub-bins, I'll go looking for a file and while the bins are all still there, there are no files in them.

My workaround has been to close PPro and reopen the file and voila! they're there. Nothing changes on the timeline, but I can't access the links to move a file to the timeline.

Bug or feature??? I'd say bug, because it certainly doesn't act as a feature to me!

I'd send a bug report, but they don't really seem to help. I've still got the problem of having to render AE CS6 dynamic links inside PPro, which didn't exist in CS5.5 and have turned in several bug reports, with no response from Adobe. sigh Takes up valuable render time.

The work around is not acceptable as it takes up even more time!

• 1. Re: File links go missing files in bins
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I'll go looking for a file and while the bins are all still there, there are no files in them.

My guess is you have something typed into the search field.  Clear that out.

I've still got the problem of having to render AE CS6 dynamic links inside PPro, which didn't exist in CS5.5

Can you be more specific?  Every version of PP that has had Dynamic Link has often required the "link" to be rendered in PP for real time playback.  This will depend on your hardware and the complexity of the comp.

• 2. Re: File links go missing files in bins

I'll go looking for a file and while the bins are all still there, there are no files in them.

"My guess is you have something typed into the search field.  Clear that out."

Nope. Nothing in the search box. It's like the database for the bins just disappears randomly. Then when i close the program and reopen it, the file links are back. It's almost like the bins directory(?) loses communications with Premiere (it hasn't happened in AE...yet) so I'm wondering if there's a .dll or some sort of subroutine that directs the bin database.

"Can you be more specific?  Every version of PP that has had Dynamic Link has often required the "link" to be rendered in PP for real time playback.  This will depend on your hardware and the complexity of the comp."

Yes. When I dynamically linked an AE file to a PPro project in versions CS5 and CS5.5 (and further back as well, when it worked at all!), the render line above the linked project was yellow, showing as not needing a render. In CS6, the behavior is completely different. It shows as needing to render (red). My graphics card is an approved nVidia Quadro, so that's not an issue. In CS6, it's broken. Period. It has disrupted my workflow as I use many compositions from AE in PPro and now have to render a project.

Thanks for the help...or at least looking at the issues. But no resolution here yet.

• 3. Re: File links go missing files in bins
              Jim_Simon Level 8

It shows as needing to render (red).

FAQ: Why do I have a red or yellow bar over my sequence, and how do I render previews?

I've never seen or heard of the bin issue.  If nothing is in the search field, my best guess is you have a messed up installation.  You may want to reinstall.

• 4. Re: File links go missing files in bins

This I knew.

My question is why did OR should PPro go from 'maybe' needing rendering to ' probably needing' rendering. I'm quite familiar with the render bar above the sequences and also remember how in v.2 or 3 (pre CS versions, not CS2 or CS3) that everything always always needed rendering before you could even look at it. Playback was slow and choppy otherwise. My question is that revolves around the fact that this is a regression to earlier versions where the render bar displays instead of the yellow bar. Software should advance, not regress. When it's regression like this, it's not a feature, it's a bug.

As for the other issue (the file database) I haven't figured out what is going on yet with bin database though. Perhaps it is a corrupt file in the install, but would prefer to know which file is corrupted before I do a complete CS6 reinstall.