18 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2012 7:10 AM by DSutanto

Characters Panel displays multiple copies of font styles, PS CS6

Jeff Holter

I saw this mentioned in the beta forums but I wasn't having any trouble with the fonts or Characters Panel at that time. Now I see numerous redundant copies of every font family style listed when I select a font family STYLE of any typeface, such as Helvetica or Arial, for example.

Throughout the day the list increases copies of each style exponentially by the hour. At the end of the day I am scrolling through 98 copies of Helvetica Bold to get to the next style, like Black. There should only be one Helv. Bold, one Black, one Condensed, and so on.

My fonts are cleaned and organized frequently with any corrupted fonts being removed immediately. I use FontExplorer X, Font Doctor and other type apps to manage fonts because FontBook is still retarded.

Anyone have any solutions or suggestions?

---

OS X 10.8 (12A256)

Mac Pro 2x2.4GHz Quad Core

40 GB ram

ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB

(1) 27" Apple LED Cinema Display, (2) LG W2361 23" Displays

• 1. Re: Characters Panel displays multiple copies of font styles, PS CS6
          Noel Carboni Level 8

Jeff Holter wrote:

I saw this mentioned in the beta

Just to clarify:  Absolutely NONE of the problems first discovered during the public beta has been fixed in the released version of Photoshop.  In fact the executables in the release package were built a week before the public beta even started.

I reiterate this from time to time because I feel it represents a patent failure of Adobe to manage its software release process properly.  It's clear people expect things reported in a beta version to be fixed in the released version.

We're all awaiting the 13.0.1 update, which is no doubt in the works.

-Noel

• 3. Re: Characters Panel displays multiple copies of font styles, PS CS6
            Jeff Holter Level 1

Thanks Charles, I forgot about that font cache script from the betas and will give it a try.

I do clear all my font caches using my font utility apps though, and it didn't help. FontExplorer X has a built in feature for clearing font caches from apps and it usually clears up any quirky font issues I may be having. If that doesn't work, I run FontDoctor. It does a more thorough job of it if things are getting serious. It didn't help either.

I didn't explore this issue when I was running the CS6 betas because I wasn't having any of these font issues I saw other folks reporting. I felt so lucky at the time!

I'll give that script a run and see if it clears out cache now. Maybe it's the answer. I will post a response with the results in case anyone else is experiencing the same problem.

Thanks!

• 4. Re: Characters Panel displays multiple copies of font styles, PS CS6
              Jeff Holter Level 1

Thanks for posting your comments, Noel. I couldn't agree more.

I was still writing up a couple serious bugs I had found when the forum was shut down and I never even had a chance to post them. In fact, one other bug I had posted was in the middle of a discussion and we were still doing some troubleshooting when I was locked out of the forum. That one was fixed though.

One of those unresolved bugs I was in the process of posting was an issue with erratic cursor tracking on machines like mine running multiple monitors. I can't put my Layers panel in any display other than my startup display or it causes severe cursor tracking problems, making work nearly impossible.

I decided to contact Adobe Support via chat yesterday and after explaining the issue in detail to the tech, I was told to work in a single monitor when using Photoshop. WTF? I couldn't believe what I was reading! They are suggesting that I abandon the way I've been working for a decade and also thousands of dollars worth of displays and graphics cards because their unstable, unfinished product was released prematurely.

I've been a rabid pusher of all things Adobe since the early 90's when these apps were still a new thing, but this is the first time I've felt like they are dropping the ball and completely ignoring users like us who purchase every Suite the moment they are available.

I am disappointed.

...and a little pissed.

• 5. Re: Characters Panel displays multiple copies of font styles, PS CS6
                DSutanto

Jeff, I have the same issue.

I'm using Font Explorer X too, I'm not sure but have you tried uninstalling the Font Explorer X and see if it works?

That's the next one I'm going to do.

It sucks because most of font manager is quite expensive and Font Book doesn't offer the same capability.

• 6. Re: Characters Panel displays multiple copies of font styles, PS CS6
                  Jeff Holter Level 1

Don't bother (unless you just have to rule out everything, like I do). The problem isn't Font Explorer X: it's Photoshop.

I tried running that script that was posted (earlier in the discussion) during beta, just as a last ditch effort to resolve or at least narrow down the source of the problem but it didn't help.

Since the font style duplication isn't happening in any other application, I'm sticking with PS CS6 being the source.

If you find a solution, please let me know.

~ Jeff

• 7. Re: Characters Panel displays multiple copies of font styles, PS CS6
                    DSutanto Level 1

Yea I guess it is Photoshop problem.

I tried clearing the font cache as well, and it didn't do anything.

Did you notice a performance issue or not?

• 8. Re: Characters Panel displays multiple copies of font styles, PS CS6
                      Jeff Holter Level 1

I really didn't notice any performance issues, just more and more copies of the same font styles as the day goes on. By the end of the day I'm looking at 25 or 30 copies of Helvetica Neue Bold Condensed!

I just turn off the font preview to make the list seem shorter.

I've tried running all my font utility apps (Font Doctor, etc.) and have cleared out all my prefs and cache manually from all the system folders but still have the same problem. It's strange that I never had any of those issues during beta, only now in the public release.

I'm going to try some other things to see if I can fix it but haven't had time due to work lately. Hopefully I'll figure it out by the weekend... or not.

~ Jeff

• 9. Re: Characters Panel displays multiple copies of font styles, PS CS6
                        DSutanto Level 1

Yea I have exactly the same thing so I know the pain.

CS6-bug.jpg

My colleague doesn't have the same issue though, but he's not using font explorer X, so that's something that I might try and investigate, since we can export the .fex fonts folders list and re-import it later if it's not the issue.

Hope Adobe fix it soon.

• 10. Re: Characters Panel displays multiple copies of font styles, PS CS6
                          Jeff Holter Level 1

I really don't want to switch font manager apps just to make Photoshop work. It's hard to keep moving things around and updating libraries when I have over 4000 font families to maintain.

I'm really disappointed that they released CS6 with so many unresolved bugs. They really dropped the ball this time around.

I have an issue with cursor tracking and erratic behavior when clicking around in Layers, Paths, Swatches and other panels that are located in any one of my monitors other than the main startup Apple LED Cinema Display. When I contacted an Adobe tech he suggested that I "work in only one monitor when using Photoshop"! That was their response, word for word.

Really? I should put aside my additional graphics cards, my 2nd & 3rd monitors on one Mac Pro, 3 our of 4 monitors on my other Mac Pro, and unlearn the way I've been working for nearly 20 years just because they pulled out too soon?

Wow.

~ Jeff

• 11. Re: Characters Panel displays multiple copies of font styles, PS CS6
                            CRCJJ Level 1

I'm not running ANY font mgt software and am having the same exact "font list building" problem, plus, sometimes it decides to try and "out-think" me and change a font style/color/ext to one I was using in another layer... WTF? If I want it changed, I'll change it myself! And the "intillizing fonts" bar coming up every time I try to do something or open another file... I've been using PS since it's VERY FIRST BETA in the '80's and I've never been as frustrated with a product, esp. PS, EVER! I'm about ready to go back to earlier version and stop payment if they can't get these problems ironed out.

John

• 12. Re: Characters Panel displays multiple copies of font styles, PS CS6
                              Level 7

Sounds like you've got a corrupt font or OS font cache causing problems.

Try this: http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-fonts-photoshop-cs5.html

• 13. Re: Characters Panel displays multiple copies of font styles, PS CS6
                                charles badland Level 4

plus, sometimes it decides to try and "out-think" me and change a font style/color/ext to one I was using in another layer...

AFAIK, that is a separate issue from the multiple listing of font styles. The innocuous multiple font styles bug should get cleared just by trashing Photoshop preferences.

The text layer replacement bug... argh. I hope Adobe can get that solved in the next update.

• 14. Re: Characters Panel displays multiple copies of font styles, PS CS6
                                  Noel Carboni Level 8

I'd be willing to bet real money that Adobe wanting to make really sure the text layer shuffling/replacement bug is fixed is why 13.0.1 is taking so long.

-Noel

• 15. Re: Characters Panel displays multiple copies of font styles, PS CS6
                                    CRCJJ Level 1

why are all staff replies an "OS" problem on our end?! It's NEVER happened in ANY other Adobe product or any other version of PS... JUST photoshop CS6. Quit trying to blame a bug on someone else and fix the damn thing already! since the 80's I've prob spent 10's of K's on Adobe software, and this is the FIRST time I've bitched about it, so that should tell you something's not right!

• 16. Re: Characters Panel displays multiple copies of font styles, PS CS6
                                      Level 7

Because we've seen the problems before and discovered that the causes were related to the OS.

(also, if you read more, you'd see that we do admit to problems in our code when we can verify that it really is in our code)

Corrupt OS font caches aren't something we can fix.

We're still investigating to see if there are other possible causes of this problem - but so far all we've seen are problems with font management programs and corrupt font caches (which seem to be aggrevated by corrupt fonts).

• 17. Re: Characters Panel displays multiple copies of font styles, PS CS6
                                        Jeff Holter Level 1

I don't have any corrupt fonts on my system. My fonts, font folders and caches are cleaned out frequently to avoid font issues (and because I can't afford to pass off a corrupt font to a client when it's part of a job).

The fact that I don't have this problem with any other application, including PS CS5, leads to the only conclusion left, which is a problem with Photoshop CS6.

• 18. Re: Characters Panel displays multiple copies of font styles, PS CS6
                                          DSutanto Level 1

Deleting the preferences like Charles said has fixed my multiple font weight issue.

That was great!

I didn't have to change any of my OS preferences or font management.

As for cleaning cache and corrupt font, they don't do anything, that's not the fix.

I've run this with Lion and Mountain Lion, so this problem is Photoshop CS6 only, not the OS.