26 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2012 12:32 PM by josephs51576386

HDV to DVD

Robin V Level 1

I have a project in Premiere that have a TRT of 1 hour 50 minutes.  It was shot in HDV.  When I export it at MPEG2 DVD to burn to dvd the file exceeds the disc capacity.  Any suggestions on how to get it to fit and not lose quality?

• 1. Re: HDV to DVD
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Use a dual layer disc instead of a single layer... of course, you need a dual layer burner drive

• 2. Re: HDV to DVD
            Robin V Level 1

Yeah, and then I have to duplicate about 100 of them for the client.  I was hoping to find a compression rate that would do the trick.

• 3. Re: HDV to DVD
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Use a lower bitrate setting, but you lose quality. Well, you lose quality anyway going from HD to SD.

• 4. Re: HDV to DVD
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>hoping to find a compression rate

My personal choice is to export as (regular or widescreen) DV AVI to give to Encore for authoring... and then let Encore "find a compression rate" by means of Automatic transcoding

As far as duplicating... have Encore create an ISO image and then write as many discs as you want from that image

I use the FREE http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download to write files or folders or ISO to disc (send the author a PayPal donation if you like his program)

• 5. Re: HDV to DVD
                  Robin V Level 1

I tried dropping the bit rate but it looks like crap.   John, do you use media encoder to get the DV AVI ? 

• 6. Re: HDV to DVD
                    ExactImage Level 3

Do you have a supported CUDA card?   I have found that ustilizing the CUDA downscaling algorythms (use max quality render check box) and exporting firectly to MPEG2 DVD from Premiere Pro rather than Queuing to Media Encoder is by far the best results.  

• 7. Re: HDV to DVD
                      ExactImage Level 3

I've yet to find any dual layer (+r or -r) that have significant playback compatibility.  Perhaps you can share a brand and also what recorder you are using?    Having tried Plextor, Pioneer, Teac, BenQ, Lite-On and several other drives with multiple types of discs I find that they fail to play in at least 2 out of the 5 DVD players we have here.    I'd love to be able to use dual layer media instead of shipping 2 and 3 disc sets.

• 8. Re: HDV to DVD
                        Robin V Level 1

Yes, that is the technic I used and the video looks great but the file is too big to fit on a DVD.

• 9. Re: HDV to DVD
                          josephs51576386 Level 3

In my experince I find that using a DL disc is your only choice if you want to maintain top quality. But if you really want to try to compress it I sadly find that Nero does a better job of maintaining quality than Encore does when using lower bit-rates. I know most people are going to not believe this but it's just what I have noticed. If I run something around 4-5Mbps using Nero it looks decent but if I do the same in encore it turns out bad in some cases.

• 10. Re: HDV to DVD
                            Robin V Level 1

Dual Layer is just not a practical option in this case.  I may just have to offer a 2 disc set.  Bummer.

• 11. Re: HDV to DVD
                              josephs51576386 Level 3

On newegg you can obtain dual layer disc fairly cheap. But like other people have mentioned compatibility can indeed be a issue. (Mainly with cheaper or older DVD players)

• 12. Re: HDV to DVD
                                Jim_Simon Level 8

Dual Layer is just not a practical option in this case.

Why?

• 13. Re: HDV to DVD
                                  Robin V Level 1

Because they have reliability issues and I need to duplicate 100 copies and they will be going out to consumer DVD players.  I can't risk 50 people calling saying the DVD won't play on their DVD player.  Also there is a cost concern.

• 14. Re: HDV to DVD
                                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1h50m should fit a SL dvd if you lower the bitrate as suggested before.

Or make a folder or iso, let e.g. DVD shrink or DVD rebuilder resize it and burn to dvd.

• 15. Re: HDV to DVD
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

Because they have reliability issues

If you do it right, there will be no issues.

1. Use Falcon Pro DVD+R DL disks only.

2. Use a Sony/NEC (Optiarc) burner  (The AD-7280S-0B will run you about $18 at Newegg)

3. Burn at 4x.

I've sent off several hundred disks using those rules.  Not a one has ever come back.

Yes, those FP blanks are more pricey.  But the reality of your situation is that you have to choose.  Better image, or not.  The former has an immediate cost to you, the latter may as well, down the road.

• 16. Re: HDV to DVD
                                        ExactImage Level 3

Jim,

Are you burning these on a Mac or Window computer and what software are you using?

Is it a standard DVD burner or has it been hacked for DVD-ROM book type?

• 17. Re: HDV to DVD
                                          Robin V Level 1

Ann, I did drop the bit rate and it looks terrible.  Tell me more about the DVD Shrink or Rebuilder option.

• 18. Re: HDV to DVD
                                            Robin V Level 1

Windows 7, using Primera Bravo II to burn the disc.

• 19. Re: HDV to DVD
                                              Jim_Simon Level 8

I use Windows, burning both with Encore and ImgBurn.  My older model set the DVD-ROM booktype by default.

• 20. Re: HDV to DVD
                                                josephs51576386 Level 3

DVD shrink does a great job of shrinking DVD's. Basically what you would do is burn a DVD that is on a DL then use DVD shrink to make it fit on a SL (dvd5) disc. Then you're ready to roll, DVD shrink is actually a great idea on Ann's part.  Just make sure to download v3.2.

• 21. Re: HDV to DVD
                                                  Cavemandude Level 1

I always thought that you didn't need to turn on the Max Quality since that is for CPU processing and has nothing to do with the Cuda processing/downscaling. Cuda processing is always on with the proper video card so there is no need to click on anything.

Randy

• 22. Re: HDV to DVD
                                                    josephs51576386 Level 3

Actually to my knowledge you still need to click max bit depth and max quality even with a cuda card not so that you can use cuda processing but so that you get the best quality processing/downscaling.

• 23. Re: HDV to DVD
                                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

CUDA always uses Max quality settings.  You don't normally need to check Max Render Quality for the best scaling on export.  However, there are some rare conditions where processing can revert back to the CPU, in which case the checkbox will help.

For most scenarios, however, all that box does when using CUDA is extend the render times.  The best option is to leave Max render Quality off with CUDA enabled, and then only use it if you see a problem with the export.

• 24. Re: HDV to DVD
                                                        josephs51576386 Level 3

Interesting. Good to know

• 25. Re: HDV to DVD
                                                          ExactImage Level 3

Take this and try it youself..... but I had some footage that had very nasty aliasing without select max render quality but with it checked the alias is 'almost' non existent.  So I leave that checked all the time when downscaling (e.g. for DVD), but when exporting to the same frame size I don't see any difference.

• 26. Re: HDV to DVD
                                                            josephs51576386 Level 3

Yeah that's what I had always noticed in my personal experince too. However I guess Jim is saying it's not always necessary but in some cases it is. Recently my workflow has involved a lot of downscaling so I plan to try to both ways once again. However I remember back when I was still using cs5 and 5.5 everyday there were a few times when I didn't check the box and my export of 28:30 was really nasty looking therefore I started always checking it. However if it turns out you don't always need it I may have to re-visit the issue.