3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2015 1:33 PM by Kingdome

Shape layers - gradient across stroke?

Navarro Parker Level 3

Is it possible to get this type of graident stroke with shape layers?

It's Illustrator CS6's new "gradient across stroke" option.

gradient-on-path.png

• 1. Re: Shape layers - gradient across stroke?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

If you can live without vektors, then you can copy&paste the shape to a mask and apply a stroke effect, blur it and colorize it with Colorama.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Shape layers - gradient across stroke?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Think of the Gradient Stroke in AE as a gradient on a comp sized solid with a stroke as a mask. It's completely different than Illustrator's gradient stroke. The path in Illustrator becomes the path for the gradient.

If you're using just a single instance of your Illustrator path in AE you can just bring in Illustrator artwork. If you want to use shape animators there may be a workaround. You can tie the position scale and rotation property of duplicated layers to the controls in the shape layer repeater function. You just have to duplicate the layer as many times as needed. The expression is a little tricky for me to create outside AE from my head.

If you want to use trim paths then back in AI, duplicate your gradient stroked illustrator layer, put the duplicate on a separate layer and change the stroke to a solid color. Open the .ai file in AE as a comp, convert the duplicate stroke layer to a shape, apply trim paths to the shape, then use the shape as a track matte for your gradient stroke.

Screen Shot 2012-07-21 at 7.17.00 AM.png

If you need to use one of the other shape layer animators let us know. There may be a workaround.

• 3. Re: Shape layers - gradient across stroke?
              Kingdome Level 1

Hello:

I recently came across this post, thanks allot for your explanation. I was wondering if you had any thoughts on when the stroke over laps itself, it reveals itself before it overlaps itself(if that makes sense) due to the Trkmat.

Is there a way to not have it reveal it self?

Please see attached image.

Thank you.

It would be great if in the future After Effects would have a similar gradient stroke like in Illustrator.

gradient along a path.jpg