8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2012 7:15 AM by RjL190365

Advice needed: Moving from mac to pc - pc specs.

Yvette.k

Hi all,

This is my first post. I have been using FCP on a mac for a few years now but its time for me to upgrade. I want to upgrade to 64bit, and also move away from FCP. I have decided that premier would be best for me, and am trying to figure out what is the best/most suitable pc I can get for my budget.

I am considering the following Hp Pavilion pc.  I've always used mac but can't afford a new one, and feel a little out of my depth when it comes to pcs. Any advice/reccomendations would be appreciated. The specs for the Hp Pavilion are below.

ProcessorIntel® Core™ i7-2600 processor (3.4 GHz, 8 MB L3 cache)
      Operating SystemWindows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit
      RAM8 GB DDR3
      Graphics cardNVIDIA GeForce GT 545 with PureVideo® HD technology
      Hard drive2000 GB + 2 internal HDD bays
      Optical disk driveBlu-ray player & SuperMulti DVD burner + 2 external optical drive bays
      Memory card reader15-in-1 memory card reader
      USB2 USB 3.0, 8 USB 2.0
      Modem/EthernetIntegrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN
      WiFiWireless LAN 802.11 b/g/n
      Video interface1 DVI (VGA via adapter), 1 HDMI
      Audio interfaceOnboard / Beats audio console, High Definition Audio 7.1
      Expansion card slot3 PCI-Express x1, 1 PCI-Express x16, 1 MiniCard
      Keyboard & MouseWireless keyboard and mouse
      Accessories includedWireless keyboard; Wireless optical mouse; HP Win7 Media Center Remote Control

• 1. Re: Advice needed: Moving from mac to pc - pc specs.
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Several weaknesses in the system you mention:

• HP, so costly
          • i7-2600 instead of the i7-2600K
          • only 8 GB RAM
          • lousy video card
          • 2 TB boot disk, an utter waste of space

Since it appears you want to buy instead of build, contact Eric at http://www.adkvideoediting.com/

He will certainly offer you a system that delivers a better BFTB (bang-for-the-buck) and is better tuned to your needs.

• 2. Re: Advice needed: Moving from mac to pc - pc specs.
            RjL190365 Level 4

I agree with Harm's assessment of that HP prebuilt. Way oversized boot/OS disk, only a single disk for absolutely everything, not enough available bays in the case for more than two additional disks. The GPU is potentially slower than the CPU, so MPE GPU acceleration would hardly be any improvement over software-only MPE in this particular system.

On the other hand, you would not want a hard drive that's smaller than about 300GB for that new PC, either: Most of the hard drives (as opposed to SSDs) that are smaller than 300GB are of very old designs that are significantly slower than their 1TB brandmates.

I also agree with Harm about ADK being a better choice than HP for custom PC builds suitable for video editing.

• 3. Re: Advice needed: Moving from mac to pc - pc specs.
              Yvette.k Level 1

Hi, Thank you for your response.

I am actually based in the UK (might be on the wrong forum?) - but I had a look at a custom built site here.

The following are specs that I can afford. I could go a little higher too. Do you think these are suitable? If not what should I change?

Thank you very much in advance. (The case is InWin Centinal Buc Black Gaming Case.)

Processor (CPU)

Motherboard

Memory (RAM)

Graphics Card

2nd Graphics Card

3rd Graphics Card
              3) hard drives, optical storage & memory card reader

Memory - 1st Hard Disk

2nd Hard Disk

Show 3rd / 4th Hard Disk Options

RAID

SSD CACHE DRIVE

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive

Show 2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive Options

Memory Card Reader
              4) system refinements

Power Supply

Processor Cooling

Fan Controller

Sound Card

Network Facilities

USB Options

Modem

Floppy Disk Drive

Firewire

TV Card
              • 4. Re: Advice needed: Moving from mac to pc - pc specs.
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

2T as a boot disk is a waste... at the least, reverse the drives so the 2T is your data drive and 1T is your boot drive

With a small bit of shifting around (except a 600w power supply may not be strong enough) 3 drives are better

My 3 hard drives for video editing are configured as...
                1 - 320Gig Boot for Win7 64bit Pro and ALL program installs (2)
                2 - 320Gig data for Win7 paging swap file and video project files
                When I create a project on #2 drive, the various work files follow,
                so my boot drive is not used for the media cache folders and files
                3 - 1Terabyte data for all video files... input & output files (1)
                (1) for faster input/output with 4 drives
                - use drive 3 for all source files
                - use drive 4 for all output files
                (2) only 60Gig used, for Win7 & CS5 MC & MS Office & other smaller programs
                Search Microsoft to find out how to redirect your Windows paging swap file
                http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

I have NO idea of prices, but someone mentioned this place in the UK http://3xs.scan.co.uk/Category.asp?SystemMasterCategoryID=14

• 5. Re: Advice needed: Moving from mac to pc - pc specs.
                  Yvette.k Level 1

That went in wrong for some options - 2nd hard disk: 240GB Intel 520 Series SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 550MB/sW)

The power supply would be a 450W instead.

• 6. Re: Advice needed: Moving from mac to pc - pc specs.
                    Yvette.k Level 1

Thank you again for the advice. Are the rest of the configurations okay? Is this a good graphics card?

• 7. Re: Advice needed: Moving from mac to pc - pc specs.
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You may use SSD for your boot drive, but NOT for a "frequent write" drive

SSD and Video Editing http://forums.adobe.com/thread/902915?tstart=0
                      -and http://forums.adobe.com/message/4492104

450w is too small a power supply for long term performance

Older CPU, but what I built is at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694

With SSD boot drive, read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1007934?tstart=0

• 8. Re: Advice needed: Moving from mac to pc - pc specs.
                        RjL190365 Level 4

What I'm trying to say is this:

If your choice of a builder offers only such large (2TB+) hard drives as the primary boot drive and will only offer smaller-capacity disks as secondary (or storage) disks, then I would not continue to use this vendor any longer. Move on to someone else (as far as system builders go), in this case.

And I am not recomending such a huge disk as the OS disk because its size only encourages you to install even more bloatware, such as games, on it. And all that bloatware can (and will) slow down that new system severely. Take a good look at the HP system with an i7-3770 CPU in the PPBM5 results list: That system took well over 4,400 seconds to run the benchmark when that same CPU should have taken only about 270 seconds to run that exact same benchmark set in a properly tuned system. That system is severely bottlenecked in its disk I/O, MPEG-2 and H.264 encoding performance in large part due to the bloatware that cannot be easily uninstalled. In effect, that HP Pavillion i7 system is substanstially slower overall than even a six-year-old Core 2 Duo CPU-based system!

Your updated choice of a non-Ti GTX 560 is also marginal for the CPU that you selected: With the i7-3770 non-K the non-Ti 560 is at a point where the MPE GPU acceleration starts performing as slow as or slower than MPE software-only mode.