15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2012 2:46 PM by mikelizzio

Budget PC Build for AE and PPro - Help?

mikelizzio

Hi Folks,

I'm preparing to buy a PC for CS6 Premiere and After Effects, but I'm on a budget.  I'd like to keep the cost around US$1600-1700 (not including monitors).  I would love some feedback on the system I configured at CyberPower before I pull the trigger on the purchase.  Could I have done any better for the money?  Here are the specs.  Thanks in advance!  --Mike

Case: Corsair Carbide 300R Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ front USB 3.0

Laser Engraving: None

Laser Engraving Message:

Internal USB Extension Module: None

Neon Light Upgrade: None

Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Default case fans

Noise Reduction Technology: None

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz 10MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011 (All Venom OC Certified)

Freebies: None

Performance Tuning Protection Plan by Intel: None

Venom Boost Fast And Efficient Factory Overclocking: No Overclocking

Cooling Fan: Corsair Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan [+14] (Single Standard 120MM Fan)

Coolant for Cyberpower Xtreme Hydro Water Cooling Kits: Standard Coolant

Motherboard: * (3-Way SLI Support) GIGABYTE X79-UD3 Intel X79 Chipset Quad Channel DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ UEFI DualBIOS, Dolby Home Theater 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 4 Gen3 PCIe X16, 2 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI

Memory: 16GB (4GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory [+86] (Corsair XMS with Heat Spreader)

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+186] (MSI Twin Frozr II OC 750 Mhz Powered by NVIDIA)

Freebies: None

Video Card 2: None

Video Card 3: None

Power Supply Upgrade: * 800 Watts - Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 80 Plus Power Supply (80+ Gold) [+106]

Hard Drive: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 7200 RPM HDD [+20] (Single Drive)

Data Hard Drive: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 7200 RPM HDD [+119] (1TB x 2 (2 TB Capacity) Raid 0 Extreme Performance [+119])

Hard Drive Cooling Fan: None

External Hard Drive (USB3.0/2.0/eSATA): None

USB Flash Drive: None

Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)

Optical Drive 2: None

Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

3D Vision Glasses: None

LCD Monitor: None

2nd Monitor: None

3rd Monitor: None

Speakers: None

Network: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network

Keyboard: AZZA Multimedia USB Gaming Keyboard

Mouse: AZZA Optical 1600dpi Gaming Mouse with Weight Adjustable Cartridge

Mouse Pad: None

Gaming Gear: None

Extra Thermal Display: None

Wireless 802.11B/G Network Card: None

External Wireless Network Card: None

Wireless 802.11 B/G/N Access Point: None

Bluetooth: None

Flash Media Reader/Writer: None

Video Camera: None

Headset: None

Cable: None

Power Protection: None

IEEE1394 Card: None

Internal USB Port: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

USB Port: None

Operating System: None - FORMAT HARD DRIVE ONLY

Media Center Remote Control & TV Tuner: None

Office Suite: None

Games: None

Ultra Care Option: None

Service: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT

Rush Service: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 10~15 BUSINESS DAYS

• 1. Re: Budget PC Build for AE and PPro - Help?
          cpachris_1969 Level 1

If you did all that for $1,700 I think you did pretty good. 

How much more to upgrade the 570 to a 670?  That might be worthwhile.  Faster, lower power, and take advantage of the PCI-e 3 on your board.

Drive setup is not real strong, but depends on what you are going to do with it.  Which of the drives will the OS be on?  Maybe consider smaller SSD if upgrade is not significant.

• 2. Re: Budget PC Build for AE and PPro - Help?
            mikelizzio Level 1

Thanks for the reply, Chris.

The step up to the 670 is about a $180 increase.  That starts putting me out of my price range.  Is it a noticeable performance increase between the two?

The drives, as they stand, are 3 x 1TB Caviar black HDs.  One for OS and software, and the other two for a RAID 0 configuration.  Would I see a significant performance increase if I swapped the OS HD for a SSD?  If so, how big is big enough?

Thanks for the advice.

Mike

• 3. Re: Budget PC Build for AE and PPro - Help?
              Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

I think that WD Black's are not recommended for RAID operation

If the 670 breaks your budget you would only find a marginal increase in performance in Premiere depending on how much you use GPU accelerated effects and features.  Again I am not sure but I do think that it might be more beneficial for AE.  Look at this for the GPU help for Premiere.

• 4. Re: Budget PC Build for AE and PPro - Help?
                cpachris_1969 Level 1

You had mentioned AE in your original post, and I still do believe you would be much happier with your results using the 670.  You also had a gaming keyboard and mouse listed, so I was assuming you play casually occassionally.  If that's also true, you will be far happier with the 670. 

As far as size for the OS disk, if you really only keep the OS and applications on this one, 128GB is enough for most people.  256GB is enough for almost everyone.  But you could look at your current computer and see what you are using now.  That would be the single most beneficial thing you could do to just make everything feel snapier. 

• 5. Re: Budget PC Build for AE and PPro - Help?
                  RjL190365 Level 4

cpachris_1969 wrote:

You had mentioned AE in your original post, and I still do believe you would be much happier with your results using the 670.  You also had a gaming keyboard and mouse listed, so I was assuming you play casually occassionally.  If that's also true, you will be far happier with the 670.

Not if the OP must downgrade the CPU, motherboard, RAM and disk drives just to even fit the GTX 670 into his limited budget. And even as originally planned, the i7-3820 is less than optimal because its performance is way too close to that of an i7-3770K to justify the pricier motherboard and chipset platform. And if the OP must downgrade all the way down to a dual-core i3 just to fit a GTX 670 into that limited budget, he would lose far more performance with the CPU downgrade than he would gain with the GPU upgrade.

• 6. Re: Budget PC Build for AE and PPro - Help?
                    cpachris_1969 Level 1

RjL190365 wrote:

cpachris_1969 wrote:

Not if the OP must downgrade the CPU, motherboard, RAM and disk drives just to even fit the GTX 670 into his limited budget.

Definitely wasn't suggesting downgrading all of these components.  Was suggesting an upgrade to the video card that I think he would be happy with.  Sometimes budgets are best tweaked rather than settling for something you will be unhappy with quickly. 

RjL190365 wrote:

And even as originally planned, the i7-3820 is less than optimal because its performance is way too close to that of an i7-3770K to justify the pricier motherboard and chipset platform.

I think the 3820 (2011 socket) is easily justified over the 3770 (1155) just because he is going to have some upgrade options down the road.  I would guess that the 1155 socket is dead and we won't see anymore boards or chipsets for this platform.  With socket 2011, he will have an upgrade path later if he chooses. 

• 7. Re: Budget PC Build for AE and PPro - Help?
                      RjL190365 Level 4

cpachris_1969 wrote:

I think the 3820 (2011 socket) is easily justified over the 3770 (1155) just because he is going to have some upgrade options down the road.  I would guess that the 1155 socket is dead and we won't see anymore boards or chipsets for this platform.  With socket 2011, he will have an upgrade path later if he chooses. 

Not so fast. In fact, there may be no future i7-branded CPUs at all for LGA 2011; thus, LGA 2011's production life may be shorter than LGA 1155. The next high-end CPUs may very well require an entirely new socket that will not be compatible at all with LGA 2011. Ivy Bridge-E may never come to market as an enthusiast CPU. And the current X79 chipset will likely be the only desktop chipset ever for LGA 2011 (except for server/workstation chipsets). This means no official support for PCI-e 3.0 and no native support for USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt for LGA 2011.

• 8. Re: Budget PC Build for AE and PPro - Help?
                        cpachris_1969 Level 1

While the upgrade path for 1155 boards is almost certainly at an end, most people expect that Ive-E will be released and will drop nicely into the socket 2011 boards.  Beyond that, no one can say for sure, but there also is lots of speculation that socket 2011 may continue for the next 3 generations of Intel CPU.  Just unsure as to pin-out changes, which may require new boards anyway.   It's easy to find internet speculation, but the most probable reasonable scenario, is that Ive-E is released and will be compatible with LGA 2011.  I know of no one that reasonably believes we are going to get new upgrade paths for an 1155 board. 

If we want to discount all speculation of future upgrades, LGA 2011 boards (X79 chipset) definitely have more compelling features than 1155 (Z77 chipset) boards.  Supports processors with more cores, quad channel memory instead of dual channel memory, supports more memory, has more PCI lanes, can support PCI-e 3.0 instead of 2.0, faster bus speeds, etc.  

To Mike:  If cost is the most important factor, and you are not worried about potentially upgrading CPU's in the future...you might consider the 1155 motherboards and processors.  Otherwise, I'd stick with 2011. 

• 9. Re: Budget PC Build for AE and PPro - Help?
                          RjL190365 Level 4

True. It's just that all current LGA 2011 CPUs and chipsets are officially limited to PCI-e 2.0 support (PCI-e 3.0 support can only be obtained on this platform via hacks that are not endorsed or even supported by Intel), and that most if not all current X79 motherboards have only Gen2 switches for support for more than two graphics cards. And all current LGA 2011 systems require third-party controllers for USB 3.0 and/or Thunderbolt support.

• 10. Re: Budget PC Build for AE and PPro - Help?
                            cpachris_1969 Level 1

Limited to PCI-3 2.0 support, ..yes.  Limited to PCI-e 2.0 speeds, ...no.  And many components don't require any 'hacks' at all.  Plug in a GTX690 and you'll be running at 3.0 speeds automatically.  The 680 requires a 'hack' which is as simple as double clicking a file.  Even easier than what tons of Adobe forum members are doing by enabling the GPU support in Premiere for non-supported cards.  My guess is that has been recommended many times here...without it being protrayed as a negative thing.  Adobe doesn't officially support this 'hack', but forum members do it and recommend it all the time. 

And even though the Z77 chipset natively supports USB 3.0, most every X79 board being sold today has USB 3.0 ports.  Whether its supported natively by the chipset or though 3rd party controllers that are already included in the motherboard, will be of little difference to consumers.  The X79 socket 2011 board I'm planning on has 8 USB 3.0 ports.  I think the Z77 chipset supports only two USB 3.0 natively. 

• 11. Re: Budget PC Build for AE and PPro - Help?
                              RjL190365 Level 4

cpachris_1969 wrote:

Limited to PCI-3 2.0 support, ..yes.  Limited to PCI-e 2.0 speeds, ...no.  And many components don't require any 'hacks' at all.  Plug in a GTX690 and you'll be running at 3.0 speeds automatically.  The 680 requires a 'hack' which is as simple as double clicking a file.  Even easier than what tons of Adobe forum members are doing by enabling the GPU support in Premiere for non-supported cards.  My guess is that has been recommended many times here...without it being protrayed as a negative thing.  Adobe doesn't officially support this 'hack', but forum members do it and recommend it all the time. 

And even though the Z77 chipset natively supports USB 3.0, most every X79 board being sold today has USB 3.0 ports.  Whether its supported natively by the chipset or though 3rd party controllers that are already included in the motherboard, will be of little difference to consumers.  The X79 socket 2011 board I'm planning on has 8 USB 3.0 ports.  I think the Z77 chipset supports only two USB 3.0 natively. 

Here is the problem:

The economy in many areas here in the U.S. is terrible right now, and the higher-end platform will cost far, far higher than most people can afford. It does not bode well for those areas whose people (and yes, even the wealthiest) can barely afford even an old, totally obsolete clunker of a $100 system (that can't even run anything at all even remotely recent), let alone a $3,000 system.

The Z77 supports four USB 3.0 ports natively - but most motherboard manufacturers include only two of those onboard, relegating support for the other two to a header on the motherboard.

• 12. Re: Budget PC Build for AE and PPro - Help?
                                cpachris_1969 Level 1

RjL190365 wrote:

cpachris_1969 wrote:

Here is the problem:

The economy in many areas here in the U.S. is terrible right now, and the higher-end platform will cost far, far higher than most people can afford. It does not bode well for those areas whose people (and yes, even the wealthiest) can barely afford even an old, totally obsolete clunker of a $100 system (that can't even run anything at all even remotely recent), let alone a $3,000 system.

The Z77 supports four USB 3.0 ports natively - but most motherboard manufacturers include only two of those onboard, relegating support for the other two to a header on the motherboard.

Prices change a lot, but as of today on Newegg, the 3770k processor you were recommending for an LGA1155 board is priced at $340.  The 3820 for an LGA 2011 board is priced $40 less at $300, and its a faster clocked processor. 

And as far as the cost of the motherboards, I find them as cheap as $179 for an X79 LGA2011 board that's going to most likely have a CPU upgrade option a year down the road.  You might be able to spend a little less on a decent 1155 board, but the processor will be $40 bucks more, and like I've said before...you won't be doing any type of upgrade under this scenario. 

There is no wrong option.  Only a right one for a person's particular circumstances.  I think my recommended solution is going to be less than $100 more than yours, but will provide more immediate power/options....and future upgradeability. 

But I love that reasonable people can disagree politely.  Thanks for the discussion!

• 13. Re: Budget PC Build for AE and PPro - Help?
                                  mikelizzio Level 1

Bill, Chris and RjL, Thank you all for your contributions.  Although I'm afraid a lot of Chris and RjL's debate sounds like Greek to me.  I'm going to have to educate myself on the differences in motherboards and so forth before I can digest all this advice (sockets?  chipsets?  controllers?  oy!).

Bill, if Caviar Black's are a bad choice for RAID 0, do you know of a preferred HD to use instead?

Thanks again, everybody.

--Mike

• 14. Re: Budget PC Build for AE and PPro - Help?
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Mike,

WD Caviar Blacks are OK for raid0 (striped array), but are a bad choice for parity arrays (raid3/5/6).