13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2012 6:14 PM by uhanepono

CS6 does not see my GPU. It did and now not.

uhanepono Level 1

Hi CS6 stopped seeing my GPU. I noticed the problem when trying to do one of Deke's 3D tutes on on lynda.com. So I was able to do most things till I tried 3D. In cs5.1 can see it and allows my to activate it. I recently uninstalled CS5.1. I reinstalled it to see if that would help and it runs extremely slow now and often spins the pinwheel at any little thing.

This is what I see now. See how the GPU is greyed out?

Screen shot 2012-07-21 at 11.05.36 AM.jpg

I reinstalled CS5.1 to check what up and checked the prerences there and the GPU is availible and defaulted to my previous settings. These are the CS5.1 settings. See how the GPU is not greyed out.

Screen shot 2012-07-21 at 11.22.08 AM.png

CS5.1 runs even slower than before though. I have ungraded from an old white mac book to a new mac book pro and beefed up the RAM and now have the following specs to work with

Screen shot 2012-07-21 at 11.12.20 AM.png

Screen shot 2012-07-21 at 12.25.22 PM.png

If it helps.. I am now also running into an error message that bridge can no read the cashe, too.

Thanks for any help you can lend, Uhane,

(Merideth, Are you still around? Wanted to thanks you again for your help last time)

• 1. Re: CS6 does not see my GPU. It did and now not.
          Level 7

CS5 didn't do as much error checking, or make as heavy a usage of the GPU.

CS6 does more error checking (because we found GPUs crashing Photoshop too often), and tries to use the GPU more often.

If the GPU is allowed for it's basic version and feature set, then there are a couple possibilities: if the GPU returned an error when it shouldn't, or if Photoshop crashed during a call to the GPU driver - then it will be disabled (because now we know it can't be trusted).

Also, 256Meg of VRAM is too little to use the 3D features in Photoshop CS6.  So the 3D features will be disabled in CS6 even if the GPU is enabled for basic display use.

Was the GPU ever enabled in Photoshop CS6? Does your System Info log show any errors for the GPU? (probably does, otherwise you would have the GPU model and driver version listed in prefs)

• 2. Re: CS6 does not see my GPU. It did and now not.
            conroy Level 5

Chris Cox wrote:

Also, 256Meg of VRAM is too little to use the 3D features in Photoshop CS6.  So the 3D features will be disabled in CS6 even if the GPU is enabled for basic display use.

Chris, the 3D features of CS6 work for me with 256 MB VRAM.

Screen shot 2012-07-22 at 00.27.14.png

• 3. Re: CS6 does not see my GPU. It did and now not.
              Level 7

Hmmm?  The 3D features are supposed to require just under 512 for CS6.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopextended/tech-specs.html

• 4. Re: CS6 does not see my GPU. It did and now not.
                conroy Level 5

I'm 99% certain that the requirements said 256 MB VRAM two months ago, and I do not even try software when the stated requirements exceed my equipment.

• 5. Re: CS6 does not see my GPU. It did and now not.
                  Level 7

Standard says 256 (512 recommended), but the 3D features really want 512 Meg.

• 6. Re: CS6 does not see my GPU. It did and now not.
                    conroy Level 5

Well, I'm sure the 3D features of CS6 Extended would work better if my machine had 512 but they're certainly working with 256.

• 7. Re: CS6 does not see my GPU. It did and now not.
                      uhanepono Level 1

Hello and thanks for responding.

<quote>

CS5 didn't do as much error checking, or make as heavy a usage of the GPU.

CS6 does more error checking (because we found GPUs crashing Photoshop too often), and tries to use the GPU more often.<end quote>

PS6 does not crash perse. It will report as a crash after I have com/Q somethimes, even without open docs but that is another bug. This one has to do with the GPU becoming greyed out in preferences and unavalable after having been available. This problem is intermitent. It seems it is not a problem anyone else is reporting.

<quote>

If the GPU is allowed for it's basic version and feature set, then there are a couple possibilities: if the GPU returned an error when it shouldn't, or if Photoshop crashed during a call to the GPU driver - then it will be disabled (because now we know it can't be trusted).<endquote>

The GPU greyout is either all in or all out. I can do 3D just fine when it's operable. The screen shots above was for the CS5.1 comparason, showing it enabled and active.

<quote>

Was the GPU ever enabled in Photoshop CS6? Does your System Info log show any errors for the GPU? (probably does, otherwise you would have the GPU model and driver version listed in prefs)<endquote>

I have no problem with 3D or the timeline video funtions when the GPU is enabled. No system log errors that I can recognize. Perhaps you could direct me to where and for what to look for there? I have the NVIDIA GeForce 320M which is standard and should be more than adequate.

• 8. Re: CS6 does not see my GPU. It did and now not.
                        Level 7

So what you're describing is a case of the GPU driver crashing or returning an error and getting disabled.

I'd bet that the GPU Sniffer is crashing at launch, which is why you don't see the GPU model and info in preferences.

Help-> System Info, just above the rest of the GPU info.

• 9. Re: CS6 does not see my GPU. It did and now not.
                          uhanepono Level 1

@ Chris Cox  Sooo..... I need to replace the GPU??

What do you mean to indicate by "Help-> System Info, just above the rest of the GPU info"

I have hence been able to get it to work again and it has not bugged out again in awhile but I still have the vexing problem that showed up at the same time of Bridge not being able to read the cashe after repeated reinstalls and running the script cleaner and reinstalling again. would love some staff imput on that subject too. The thread is over under the bridge forum. Is there anyone available?, thanks. Uhane

• 10. Re: CS6 does not see my GPU. It did and now not.
                            Level 7

No, just update the driver, or otherwise get the bugs fixed in the driver.

But if you're on MacOS, that means waiting for Apple (and probably the next major OS version).

• 11. Re: CS6 does not see my GPU. It did and now not.
                              conroy Level 5

Uhane has the same GPU and the same 256 MB VRAM as me. My OS is OS X 10.6.8. CS6 Extended 3D features work on my Mac.

Uhane, what version of OS X do you have?

• 12. Re: CS6 does not see my GPU. It did and now not.
                                uhanepono Level 1

Hi conroy2009, I have the same as you. I have no performance problems when the GPU is working inside PS6 just like you. I am starting to suspect I may have a hardware issue. Good thing I have apple care! LOL aloha, Uhane

• 13. Re: CS6 does not see my GPU. It did and now not.
                                  uhanepono Level 1

Thanks Chris, To update drivers on mac is, indeed, an achicles heel of the OS. I am running snow leopard. I can work around driver problem by having the thing repalced, perhaps? I suspect it may need it. I had lion but I hated it so I reverted. This machine originally had snow leopard so there should be no native OS/hardware conflicts. I will call my tech guy mañana and ask him what options I have to replacing the guilty aparasus!! I wll post back here with more info to help any other pilgrims who may have found themselves in this beld in the road.

BTW -

on the reinstall the GPU showed up again and it has not given me any trouble hence, although it has slowed down a wee tad, especially with smart fiters and 3D rendering. I have yet to try use the lastest install with timeline.

Message was edited by: uhanepono