1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 22, 2012 5:01 AM by Peter Spier

Page numbering Panel

inquestflash Level 1

hello indesigners.

i have a made 10 spreads.and im trying to get my book to start counting the page numbers from

page 6 and beyond.i have insert on my mastrer pages current page number.whic is counting perfect

through out my spreads.the only thing is i would like from page6  and beyond to be 1 2 3 4 5 6.

but when i open up the numbering and sections options,when i type in the dialogue box start page numbering from 6

page 6 becomes 12!instead of 1.

thank you.

U2A.jpg

• 1. Re: Page numbering Panel
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Did you have page 6 selected to start a new section?

Once you do that page 6 should become a new page 1, and two things will happen, when you press OK. ID will complain about duplicate page numbers, which can be fixed by going back to the first page inthe doc, opeing the numbering options again and changing the style of the numbers, and all of you pages after the fifth one will change sides and you'll see two right-hand pages in a row in the pages Panel.

ID doesn't like putting odd numbers on the verso (left-hand page) as it flies in the face of tradition and reader expectations. It can be done, but in my opinion you really should add a blank page instead if you have five pages of front matter before the start of the document. If you really want to swap sides with the numbering, before you change the numbering options, select the spread, right-click, and unchek Allow Selected Spread to Shuffle. Ifd asked if you want to maintain the same number of pages inthe spread, say yes.