5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2012 11:59 AM by Kar209

can't Stroke Object after Clipping Mask? CS6

Kar209 Level 1

Hello:                                                                                    Level: Newbie  OS: Windows 7 64 bit  Ps: CS6

I am having trouble with a tutorial.

It says to ... Create a New Layer and place it above the "main object" layer (which has a Clipping Mask) and also apply the Clipping Mask

Then I am to Ctrl + Click the main object to Select it and then Right Click to choose Stroke from the menu.

However, when I right click the New Layer with the Clipping Mask the Stroke option is not available ~ nor is it when I click on the object itself on the

canvas.

So, I went to Edit > Stroke and tried to apply the Stroke that way but the Stroke is not visible.

I also tried going to Blending Options to apply the Stroke but it's not visible this way either.

I've tried to search the manual for an answer and the FAQ's but I cannot seem to narrow things down.

Thank you so much for your time and assitance

Here's the tutorial I am trying to follow:  http://designinstruct.com/drawing-illustration/how-to-create-an-ipad-2-from-scratch-using- photoshop/

I'm stuck down under step #1 ~ it's down a bit after where I apply the Noise

• 1. Re: can't Stroke Object after Clipping Mask? CS6
          Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

You've made the shape, then added a new layer filled with white (noise layer) and clipped the layer to the shape (Layer>Create Clipping Mask).

Then added the noise filter>noise>add noise.

Now add a new blank layer above the noise layer and go to Layer>Create>Clipping Mask.

Then with the blank layer (stroke layer) still active, Ctrl (cmd) Click on the shape layer thumbnail to get the selection of the shape.

Then go to Edit>Stroke.

Untitled-1.png

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: can't Stroke Object after Clipping Mask? CS6
            conroy Level 5

Kar209 wrote:

So, I went to Edit > Stroke and tried to apply the Stroke that way but the Stroke is not visible.

Did you make sure Location in the Stroke dialogue is "Inside"?

Because the layer is clipped to the shape, the stroke has to lie inside the shape in order to be visible. "Center" will result in the outer half of the stroke width being invisible, and "Outside" will result in the entire stroke being invisible.

• 4. Re: can't Stroke Object after Clipping Mask? CS6
              conroy Level 5

Thanks!

The problem could be something else, though.

• 5. Re: can't Stroke Object after Clipping Mask? CS6
                Kar209 Level 1

Hey Conroy,

Thank You so much ... I can't believe I forgot that "little" detail  

Also, huge Thanx to R_Kelly!! You helped me out a lot as well

Conroys solution is correct ~ under the circumstances I mentioned the Stroke Must be set to INSIDE.

However, the reason I could not get the Stroke to be visible was because I had not set the FILL to a color for the shape. When you create a Shape (and are following the steps I described) the Color Must be Set to FILL.

Also, In order to get the Stroke to show up on the menu when you Right + Click - the Marquee Selection Tool Must be selected on the Tools Panel to the Left.

Hope this helps someone else.