6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2012 12:08 AM by Harm Millaard

Card for PCIe 2x 16 slot

shooternz Level 6

What would be the best Nvidia Cuda enabled Video Card to use on a motherboard  ( ASSUS P6T Deluxe V2) that does not have PCIe 3x 16 slots.

It does have  a PCIe 2x 16 slot available and a PCI Slot

Board is already running Quadro FX3800 and BM Decklink HD-SDI card

Extra card required for Da Vinci Color Resolve GPU (processing function). 

Hopefully the Quadro card will manage the GUI with that..and also not have issues (conflicts) with Adobe CS6 Suite apps.

Appreciate any info. Thanx

• 1. Re: Card for PCIe 2x 16 slot
          RjL190365 Level 4

Actually, you're better off getting two cards based on newer GPUs such as the GTX 670. (Unless the Da Vinci Color Resolve GPU support requires another Quadro.) This is because your PC's current FX 3800 is ancient by current GPU standards, being based on an old 192-core GeForce GTX 260 with a narrower 256-bit DDR3 VRAM bus (the regular GTX 260 had a 448-bit-wide DDR3 VRAM bus).

By the way, which CPU is that system running?

• 2. Re: Card for PCIe 2x 16 slot
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If I read you right you need another x16 slot.  You would have to by a new motherboard.  Here is the only ASUS X58 LGA 1366 one with 3 real x16 PCIe slots that shows up as being available at Newegg.  My board P6T7 WS Supercomputer also has the requested 3 slots but since Newegg does not show it I assume it is no longer being manufactured, you can find used ones or recertified units with a quick search.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131358

• 3. Re: Card for PCIe 2x 16 slot
              shooternz Level 6

Running I7 CPU

Issue (or question) is really ...cards such as GTX670 seem to require....

PCIe 3x 16 slots

If I knew one would install...I would ....and then use the FX3800 Quadro as the GUI in Resolve.

• 4. Re: Card for PCIe 2x 16 slot
                Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

shooternz wrote:

Running I7 CPU

Issue (or question) is really ...cards such as GTX670 seem to require....

PCIe 3x 16 slots

They do not require a PCIe Version 3 socket, they work perfectly in PCIe Version 2 as I currently am doing they do require an x16 socket with 16 lanes.

P.S. telling us you are running an i7 CPU does not identify anything i7 CPU's are now available in three different sockets with at least three different basic chip architectures.  But he does have an i7-9xx series because that motherboard is the same x58 chipset that Harm and I have.

• 5. Re: Card for PCIe 2x 16 slot
                  shooternz Level 6

Thanx for the PCIe info Bill. 

I will get a GTX 670 (based on my confidence in your advice)

Guess I will find out how well it plays with the FX3800 Quadro or vice versa...as well as with CS6 and Resolve.

Sockets..schmockets...space rockets...geez...I am only  a dumb D.P cum editor!

The Motherboard book tells me its LGA1366. 

and its a I7 930 @ 2.8 ghz.

• 6. Re: Card for PCIe 2x 16 slot
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Graig, I already replied in your other thread. http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1039456?tstart=0