7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2013 11:11 AM by subQuark

Fireworks CS5 "automatically" resizes images to minuscule dimensions

thorsweb

I am having an odd issue in working with Fireworks PNGs from one of my subject matter experts. We have been using Fireworks since around 2000 so it's nothing new to us and it's been used in tens of thousands of images (we deliver eLearning to 70,000 people per year in 130 countries). We have 10 users and have been using it over a series of Windows machines over the years.

We use CS5 with Flash, Dreamweaver, and Fireworks and typically it all runs very smoothly. But a few months ago I would open one of her PNGs (layered, etc) and whether I made any changes or not when I re-open it it has been resampled to very small dimensions. For example, a 600 by 400 pixel image will display as 16 by 15 pixels.

This would happen with any of her images on several machines at work (*** CS5) and my home machine (CS5.5).

We had IT remove and then reinstall Fireworks CS5 on her machine and all was fine for two months. Now this weird thing is happening again. It must be some local configuration file that is getting altered. I am at my wit's end trying to solve this and the only workaround I have is to open her files in Photoshop which works fine (but is not ideal since only two MMDs have PS and we need to edit callouts done in Fireworks).

To recap - I open one of her images, close it, and reopen it and it resamples to very small and unsuable dimensions.

Has anyone ever seen this odd behavior?

Is there a config file I can delete and let the system rebuild? (I remember some flash issue, years ago, that was fixed like that).

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Fireworks CS5 "automatically" resizes images to minuscule dimensions
          groove25 Level 4

Here's a left-field idea: Is it somehow possible that you're opening a thumbnail image associated with the file rather than the file itself? (I suppose probably not, as a thumbnail wouldn't be layered...).

If Fireworks is "automatically" resizing and resampling the image, when does it happen: when you close the file, or when you reopen it? (And have you verified the pixel dimensions within the Windows operating system before and after?) It's really hard to imagine such a process happening automatically within the application.

Are the dimensional proportions of the file being retained? (From your example, it appears not: 600 by 400 does not reduce proportionally to 16 by 15.) Or do the files always reduce to a single size?

What if you save the files to a new location and/or use Save As? Does the same problem occur?

• 2. Re: Fireworks CS5 "automatically" resizes images to minuscule dimensions
            subQuark

Excellent questions! Thanks for your left-field ideas - this is a left-field issue!

They seem to resize when closed but even if they are simply opened and closed without any changes and thus without actually saving. They do seem to always go down to the same size (not in proportion) and would be too small even as thumbnails (that was a good thought though).

It may be indirectly due to Fireworks and be some combination of the operating system and/or other applications she may have installed such as Snag-It because a full uninstallation and installation of Fireworks takes care of the issue. It has happened twice and here's hoping it does not happen again.

Saving the files as new files does not seem to help - she'll take her screenshots, paste them into Fireworks and then save the file to a remote server. I can open them from the server or take a copy locally, both result in the miniscule image after closing them. But only with her files. We have images from four other SMEs that don't do this "thing".

If it happens again, I will more carefully observe the particulars you asked about.

Thank you for your time and food for thought - I like left-field ideas - that's how we create new things in this world! =)

• 3. Re: Fireworks CS5 "automatically" resizes images to minuscule dimensions
              subQuark Level 1

Oops, I clearly have two Adobe IDSs!  I am also thorsweb and that is from way back in 1999! =D

• 4. Re: Fireworks CS5 "automatically" resizes images to minuscule dimensions
                JoyceEvans Level 3

Boy, this is very odd. Is it happening only on screenshots? Is she taking them at 72 dpi and are you viewing at the same resolution? But if a reinstall takes care of it, that wouldn't be it....hmmm, thinking here:-) I have never seen such a thing (another old timer here)

• 5. Re: Fireworks CS5 "automatically" resizes images to minuscule dimensions
                  subQuark Level 1

Okay, I think I have found the issue although I can not understand why this is happening only to one person's files (keep in mind that I have been using Firewworks since 1999).

If I open her images they look fine. But when I export them to PNG-8 they get tiny. This has now been happening for a few years and it only happens with one or two of our SMEs.

BUT . . . what I did today, after being faced with this again, was to use the Export Wizard. When I finally get to the wizard's Image Preview dialog and then select the File tab, the scale is set to 15% and not a default of 100%!

So, in effect, all of her images are acting like they are being exported with a custom preset - only I don't have any presets like that!

Other SME images are fine, even when worked with within a minute of working with the ones giving problems. Same exact processing on my part, all look fine in my preview, except for the ones in question once exported.

Why they have some hidden metadata saying to scale them is beyond me (and her images behave badly for another MMD who is in another state from me)!

I may not know why, but now I can at least export them to a normal size.

• 6. Re: Fireworks CS5 "automatically" resizes images to minuscule dimensions
                    filmbaslat

i have also same problem. and i could not find any solution. please help me. <a href="http://www.filmbaslat.com" title="film izle">film izle</a>

• 7. Re: Fireworks CS5 "automatically" resizes images to minuscule dimensions
                      subQuark Level 1

The instructions are in my post above:

use the Export Wizard. When I finally get to the wizard's Image Preview dialog and then select the File tab, the scale is set to 15% and not a default of 100%!

Try doing the same with your image,

ahh, you're not a real question! you're spam! dummy me . . .