8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2012 2:40 PM by Peter Spier

CS 6 Document Setup issue

BDWeaver

When I open a custom size document (or template) created in CS4 or below into CS6 the document setup shows letter 8.5X11 as the current document size. It does not reflect the custom size.  The actual page size is correct but the document setup dialogue does not reflect the correct dimensions. We noticed this because we have some scripts referencing this value and they were failing.  When the same documents are opened into CS5.5 everything is fine.  This is a new issue to CS6.  Any thoughts on how to correct this?

Thanks,

Brant

• 1. Re: CS 6 Document Setup issue
          Bill Byers Level 2

The same thing just bit us today - same problem on 2 different machines. INDD CS6 on WinXP SP3 - we've been using it with no trouble for more than a month, and this wasn't happening before today. It doesn't happen on all old files, but many of our templates (all of our business envelope templates for some reason) show the problem. I'm attaching a screen grab that shows the document page, which is the correct size (US standard #10 business envelope), with the Document Setup dialog showing.

Untitled-1.jpg

Exporting a PDF yields a document that is the correct size - no problem there.

I have tried resetting preferences - no change. The only solution has been to open the template in INDD CS5 and save as IDML. When the IDML is opened in CS6, the problem is gone. Annoying, but it works for us.

-Bill

• 2. Re: CS 6 Document Setup issue
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Sounds like you stumbled upon a bug.

You should report it here: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Bob

• 3. Re: CS 6 Document Setup issue
              Bill Byers Level 2

Bob-

I hesitate to do that, but only because I haven't yet found a consistent trigger for it. Several older files exhibit this behavior, but I have tested at least as many that do not. I thought it might have to do with the fact that envelope documents are all in landscape orientation, and smaller than US Letter size, but other small documents in landscape orientation work fine - and a couple of documents that are larger than Letter size exhibit the problem.

Since exporting to IDML (from the older version) fixes the problem in CS6, it seems as if it might be some kind of corruption in the file itself. I was just planning to lurk here on the forum for a few days and see how many others encounter this issue.

-Bill

• 4. Re: CS 6 Document Setup issue
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You mentioned CS5.5. I can imagine that a file set up as letter could have been changed to a custom dimension (or some other standard dimension) using the page tool in CS5 or 5.5, but not in CS4, which is the OP's complaint...

• 5. Re: CS 6 Document Setup issue
                  Bill Byers Level 2

All of our envelope template files that are showing the problem today were originally created in CS4 or earlier, some of them maybe as early as INDD 2.0 (and some of those were probably PageMaker templates originally). Most of them had been updated to various versions over the years, and I updated all of them to CS6 .indt files shortly after we started using CS6. But as I opened and re-saved them, I tested each of them by printing to our various presets and they were fine. We have been using the templates successfully (and frequently) since then with no trouble at all.

These were all set up originally as custom-sized documents. I never used the page tool on these in CS5 (and we never had CS5.5).

Today's problem presented itself as I printed to our imagesetter using our standard preset - it sets the Paper Size to "Custom" with "Auto" selected in the Width and Height fields. The "Auto" setting retrieves the values from the Document Setup, and that's when I found that the Document Setup had Letter Portrait as the page setting, even though the document was clearly set up as "Custom": 57p0 x 24p9 (that's 9.5" x 4.125").

Another curiosity: When this problem appears, I am unable to change the document size in the Document Setup at all. No matter which standard size I choose (A4, Letter-Half, CD, whatever), the document doesn't change. So it seems to be corruption in the file itself - where it was introduced is anyone's guess (I guess).

I'm curious if the OP is experiencing the same inconsistent behavior.

-Bill

• 6. Re: CS 6 Document Setup issue

I've seen enough reports of strange things like this (often more serious than this) that I now export all files I'm going to update from the original version to either .inx or .idml and open those instead of the originals. Seems a lot more reliable.

• 7. Re: CS 6 Document Setup issue
                      Bill Byers Level 2

Yeah - I had read that (from you and others on the forum), but until now I hadn't run into it myself. I'll certainly be keeping it in mind from now on though!

-Bill

• 8. Re: CS 6 Document Setup issue

I never had any trouble with one of my own files, either, but I believe in carrying a spare tire in my trunk. Belt and suspenders is cheap insurance.