3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2012 8:49 AM by Jim_Simon

Premiere Pro CS6 CPU Usage is Low when Encoding

ProtechX

Hello

Im haveing some issues when encoding H.264, well not issues but my cpu is not being utlized to its full potencial.

u have a 3930K overclocked to 4.8Ghz, and when im encoding the cpu usage is rarely above 60% on some cores but most cores jump upp and down from 40% to 0%, my scratch disc is 2 Force 3 GT in Raid 0 so over 1000MBs read and write speed, there shuldnt be an issue there, have 32gb of 1866mhz ram, and 2 GTX 670 FTW GFX cards,

My encoding settings are:

Source: 1920x1080 (squarepixels) 60fps, Progressive (Uncompressed AVI)

Output: 1920x1080 (squarepixels) 30fps, Progressive VBR 2 pass, Target 50mbps, Max 51mbps

Are there any settings to how much power Premiere uses or?

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS6 CPU Usage is Low when Encoding
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Try if removing one 670 will help, as well as using conventional disks. The Force 3 GT never achieves its claimed speed. You are lucky if you achieve anything close to 40% of that speed, due to the SF marketing tricks and especially in its steady state it may be even less. Where are your media and project stored? Have you tuned your system?

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS6 CPU Usage is Low when Encoding
            ProtechX Level 1

Have tried removing the one 670, there is no difference, the project files are stored on another sett of Force 3 GT discs, so im reading for one raid 0 and writing to another, have done loads of testing on the disks and their preformance both synthetic and real read and write tests, and they perform exeptional, i dont in a million miles see how conventional disks could help. they just arent the bottle neck, now the last thing you said im not shure what you are hinting at with tuned your system ? can you elaborate,.. Btw thanks for the fast response

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CS6 CPU Usage is Low when Encoding
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Are there any settings to how much power Premiere uses or?

No, there aren't.  PP will use whatever it needs for the task.  If it's using less than 100%, then it just doesn't need all those CPU cycles.