1 2 Previous Next 42 Replies Latest reply: Jul 30, 2012 10:15 AM by Dano4193 RSS

Spry Menu bar not working in IE

Dano4193

Hi all,

I do not mean to repost like this, so please forgive. Not really sure what happened on my 2 other posts, looks like they went dead, so not sure if that means there is no solution?

(see my other 2 posts)

Spry Menu Bar not working In IE...is there a fix?

Jul 19, 2012 10:34 AM

How to fix my horizontal spry menu...

Jul 11, 2012 8:44 PM

After some changes (see the other posts) it still does not work in IE, and I made some format changes (color, centering) that were working and not are not...

As always any help is really greatly appreciated...

My website is wwwDOTselfdefenseproshopDOTcom

• 1. Re: Spry Menu bar not working in IE
          mytaxsite.co.uk MVP

I looked at your site in IE9/Win7 Prof and it works fine on my system.  There is no dropdown Menu - Just plain horizontal menu.  Identical in FF 14.0.1

Hope this helps.

• 2. Re: Spry Menu bar not working in IE
            Ben Pleysier MVP

@mytaxsite.co.uk

You have most likely got a PHP server installed on your local system, hence the problem will not expose itself.

@Dano

Have a look at the last few lines in your document

<script type="text/javascript">

try {

var pageTracker = _gat._getTracker("UA-18396243-3");

pageTracker._trackPageview();

} catch(err) {}<?php print @$googleanalyticstrackorderinfo?>

var MenuBar1 = new Spry.Widget.MenuBar("MenuBar1", {imgRight:"../SpryAssets/SpryMenuBarRightHover.gif"});

</script>

Apparently, IE fails to go past this error, therefore the MenuBar will not be constructed.

Remove the green and red coloured code and see how you go.

Gramps

• 3. Re: Spry Menu bar not working in IE
              mytaxsite.co.uk MVP

Altruistic Gramps wrote:

@mytaxsite.co.uk

You have most likely got a PHP server installed on your local system, hence the problem will not expose itself.

Yes I have because I do all the php development on my system including WP, Joomla, & Drupal  I have Apache and MySQL as well.

• 4. Re: Spry Menu bar not working in IE
                Dano4193 Community Member

Now I'm confused, since we have 3 of us in this conversation. Should I be removing the code from my site that Gramps colored in Red/Green?

Thanks for any confusion.

• 5. Re: Spry Menu bar not working in IE
                  mytaxsite.co.uk MVP

Dano4193 wrote:

Now I'm confused, since we have 3 of us in this conversation. Should I be removing the code from my site that Gramps colored in Red/Green?

Thanks for any confusion.

So am I because I re-checked your site on my Windows XP machine on which I have IE8 and your site loads fine on it.  This Windows XP hasn't got the Apache server but I don't see what has it got to do with loading a page because I am not loading it from htdocs folder - which is a requirement for local php to kick in.

Which browser are you using or can you elaborate on what exactly is the problem.

• 6. Re: Spry Menu bar not working in IE

Ok I removed the code below that Gramps suggested and it is now working good in IE (I currently have IE-9). Although, I did download IE-Tester which allows you to test in different IE versions and it does not seen to work there?

Now for my next problem, and if I can get this working I should be in fairly good shape. I had made some formatting changes (centered the menu bar, and made some color changes) See below, however those are now not working..

Any ideas on that anyone? thanks much for any help...

In SpryMenuBarVertical.css, change the value of line 16 to auto as in

ul.MenuBarVertical

{

margin: auto;

padding: 0;

list-style-type: none;

font-size: 100%;

cursor: default;

width: 8em;

}

2-can I color up the text at all on a Spry menu like this? I tried but it didn't seem to take.

In the same CSS file, starting at line 81, change the highlighted values

/* Menu items are a light gray block with padding and no text decoration */

ul.MenuBarVertical a

{

display: block;

cursor: pointer;

background-color: #EEE;

padding: 0.5em 0.75em;

color: #333;

text-decoration: none;

}

/* Menu items that have mouse over or focus have a blue background and white text */

ul.MenuBarVertical a:hover, ul.MenuBarVertical a:focus

{

background-color: #33C;

color: #FFF;

}

/* Menu items that are open with submenus are set to MenuBarItemHover with a blue background and white text */

ul.MenuBarVertical a.MenuBarItemHover, ul.MenuBarVertical a.MenuBarItemSubmenuHover, ul.MenuBarVertical a.MenuBarSubmenuVisible

{

background-color: #33C;

color: #FFF;

}

<script type="text/javascript">

try {

var pageTracker = _gat._getTracker("UA-18396243-3");

pageTracker._trackPageview();

} catch(err) {}<?php print @$googleanalyticstrackorderinfo?>

var MenuBar1 = new Spry.Widget.MenuBar("MenuBar1", {imgRight:"../SpryAssets/SpryMenuBarRightHover.gif"});

</script>

• 7. Re: Spry Menu bar not working in IE
                      Ben Pleysier MVP

Although, I did download IE-Tester which allows you to test in different IE versions and it does not seen to work there?

IE-tester shows that you have got a problem 0n line #102. Unfortunately, the tester cannot be relied upon reflecting the correct line number. There is a problem on line #27 where there is no space in front of "type="

<script src="http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/spry/widgets/menubar/SpryMenuBar.js"type="text/javascript"></script>

and line #86 where there is no space before "rel="

<link href="http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/spry/widgets/menubar/SpryMenuBarVertical.css"rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

Now for my next problem, and if I can get this working I should be in fairly good shape. I had made some formatting changes (centered the menu bar, and made some color changes) See below, however those are now not working..
                      Normally, when a question has been answered, it is marked as correct and any new questions are asked in a new post.

However, you caught me in a good mood, just signed contracts for three new projects one as far away as Switserland.

Lines #27 and #28 look like

<script src="http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/spry/widgets/menubar/SpryMenuBar.js"type="text/javascript"></script>

<link href="http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/spry/widgets/menubar/SpryMenuBarVertical.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

Lines #84 and #86 look like

<script src="http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/spry/widgets/menubar/SpryMenuBar.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

<link href="http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/spry/widgets/menubar/SpryMenuBarVertical.css"rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

This may not confuse the browser, but it is not very conducive. Remove either set of links.

When I look at SpryMenuBarVertical.css

1. change the value of line 16 to auto, has not been done
                      2. starting at line 81, change the highlighted values, has not been done

So it is no wonder there are no changes.

Gramps

• 8. Re: Spry Menu bar not working in IE

Sorry Gramps...didn't mean to confuse the postings..and I have tried to mark some as closed but did not see the option, probably my fault:(

right now line 16 shows this...

margin:auto;

What are the highlighted values at line 81? I originally did the background-color:#DBDBFF and my formatting was

working until lately..

background-color:#DBDBFF;
                        • 9. Re: Spry Menu bar not working in IE
                          Ben Pleysier MVP

This is what the online version looks loke

ul.MenuBarVertical

{

margin: 0;

}

and

ul.MenuBarVertical a

{

background-color: #EEE;

}

Also there is a problem with the following lines, it tells me that there is no space between attributes. This was discussed in my previous post.

<link href="http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/spry/widgets/menubar/SpryMenuBarVertical.css"rel="stylesheet"type="text/css" />

Gramps

• 10. Re: Spry Menu bar not working in IE

With the 2 lines, could someone please explain to me what is meant by 'there is no space between attributes'? Sorry I do not understand...and I am willing to learn and to do the work myself.

<link href="http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/spry/widgets/menubar/SpryMenuBarVer tical.css"rel="stylesheet"type="text/css"

Also, for Gramps...This is what I show on the 2 format changes for margin and for color changes to the Menu...?? I will try and upload it again but I have uploaded already several times....

• 11. Re: Spry Menu bar not working in IE
                              Ben Pleysier MVP

In the first line there should be a space between .js and "type so that it reads

<script src="http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/spry/widgets/menubar/SpryMenuBar.js "type="text/javascript"></script>

and NOT

Similarly with the second line.

My apologies for using more than the required two lines.

Gramps

• 12. Re: Spry Menu bar not working in IE

No worries, and thank you. This is what I did, and am uploading now...does this look correct then?

js_type.jpg

As for my formatting, here is what I show on DW on my machine for lines 16 and 86, ? I have updloaded about 30 minutes ago...but i am not getting any changes online?

format_adobe.jpg

• 13. Re: Spry Menu bar not working in IE
                                  Ben Pleysier MVP

That looks OK, but I'll wait until I can see the online version.

Gramps

• 14. Re: Spry Menu bar not working in IE

Just uploaded. And actually I have not changed those 2 lines since you showed me what to change. I had changed then to what I am showing

you from one of the other posts. And back then, it had worked great. I had it centered and added a color. Looks like it stil not making any change..

• 15. Re: Spry Menu bar not working in IE
                                      Ben Pleysier MVP

The online version has not changed. Are you sure that you are uploading to the correct place?

Gramps

• 16. Re: Spry Menu bar not working in IE

yep pretty sure. I will do a change to the first menu item "Pepper Sprays" and change it to "Pepper Spray" just to check.

I am uploading right now.

Also here is a better screen shot showing my hange on DW. are u sure.jpg

• 17. Re: Spry Menu bar not working in IE
                                          Ben Pleysier MVP

I don't know what is going on.

Please open the online site in FF. Right click the page and choose 'View Page Source'. This will pop-up a new window with the source code. Go to lines 27 and 28. If you have the latest version of FF, you will see that both these lines are coloured red, which means that there is something wrong with these lines. You will also notice that you place the space between the file extension and the quotation marks. The space should be between the quotation marks and the following attribute type and rel respectively.

Then click on line 28. This will give you the styling as the browser sees it. You will notice that the changes have not been made.

Have you uploaded the modified CSS files to the correct folder??

Gramps

• 18. Re: Spry Menu bar not working in IE

Ok can you check the 2 lines for me? Its been a little confusing for me trying to figure out where you want me to put those spaces, sorry:(. Also I blew away my online old files and just uploaded all the latest.

<script src="http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/spry/widgets/menubar/SpryMenuBar.js "type="text/javascript"></script>

<link href="http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/spry/widgets/menubar/SpryMenuBarVertical.css "rel="stylesheet"type="text/css"/>

Here is what I have in Dreamweaver right now for the formatting that I did. The thing is, when you first had me change the alignment, and then the coloring, it worked! and I have not changed it since...

Any other ideas or thoughts? All folders are being uploaded, I did it several times..

/* The outermost container of the Menu Bar, a fixed width box with no margin or padding */

ul.MenuBarVertical

{

margin:auto;

ul.MenuBarVertical a

{

background-color:#DBDBFF;

• 19. Re: Spry Menu bar not working in IE
                                              Ben Pleysier MVP

1. Delete lines #27 and #28

<link href="http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/spry/widgets/menubar/SpryMenuBarVertical.css "rel="stylesheet"type="text/css"/>

2. Copy and paste the following starting at line #27

<script src="http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/spry/widgets/menubar/SpryMenuBar.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
                                              <link href="http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/spry/widgets/menubar/SpryMenuBarVertical.css" rel="stylesheet"type="text/css"/>
                                              <style>
                                              ul.MenuBarVertical {margin:auto;}
                                              ul.MenuBarVertical a {background-color:#DBDBFF;}
                                              </style>

Gramps

• 20. Re: Spry Menu bar not working in IE

Gramps!! that did it. Thank you for helping me get that right. I noticed on IE that after you click on one of the flyouts that it shifts the Menu a little to the right, but I know that IE has a tendancy to do strange things...yes?

Also, I know we talked about widening the menu a little. I don't want to mess it up at all now LOL but where was it that I can widen it at in the css correct?

thanks again for all your help with this,..

• 21. Re: Spry Menu bar not working in IE
                                                  Ben Pleysier MVP

Change the block starting at line #27 to

<link href="http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/spry/widgets/menubar/SpryMenuBarVertical.css" rel="stylesheet"type="text/css"/>
                                                  <style>
                                                  ul.MenuBarVertical {margin:auto; width: 10em;}
                                                  ul.MenuBarVertical li {width: 10em;}
                                                  ul.MenuBarVertical ul {width: 10.2em;}
                                                  ul.MenuBarVertical ul li {width: 10.2em;}
                                                  ul.MenuBarVertical a {background-color:#DBDBFF;}
                                                  </style>

Adjust the values for the widths to suit.

Gramps

• 22. Re: Spry Menu bar not working in IE

Thank you...looking way better. Can you take a look at IE? anything that can be done for IE? I have IE8, and it cuts in a little in center after I click the sub menus....thanks for any last help...

• 23. Re: Spry Menu bar not working in IE
                                                      Ben Pleysier MVP

These are the first few lines of the Home page

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"><!-- InstanceBegin template="/Templates/index.dwt" codeOutsideHTMLIsLocked="false" -->

<head>

These are the first few lines of the child pages

<html>

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"><!-- InstanceBegin template="/Templates/index.dwt" codeOutsideHTMLIsLocked="false" -->

<head>

The higlighted line throws IE into a frenzy. Remove that line and make sure the DOCTYPE declararion is on the first line.

Gramps

• 24. Re: Spry Menu bar not working in IE

ok I removed the blue lines? so it is now this

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN">

is this correct?

I uploaded and checked IE but it still looks funky....unless I did not do this right, can you verify? thank you..

• 25. Re: Spry Menu bar not working in IE
                                                          Ben Pleysier MVP

Please do the following when using Firefox as the browser while viewing your online site

1. Right click anywhere in the browser window. This will show a pop-up menu as in

_Capture.jpg

2. Left click on View Page Source which will show a new window with the markup that the browser sees as in

_Capture.jpg

3. Notice <html> on the first line? Also notice that there is no space between the attributes on line 30?

So, to answer your question, nothing has changed to facilitate IE

Gramps

• 26. Re: Spry Menu bar not working in IE

I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean that there is no space between the attributes on line 30? please clarify..does that mean I do need a space? or do not need a space? and where exactly? sorry about that. I am still learning.

Also in your example of where you right clicked, you are right clicking on the PS-2 product that I have...which belongs to my .php shopping cart? so I do not see the html tag if I click on the main page of my site.? also do you mean that the html tag should or should not be there? Again sorry.

• 27. Re: Spry Menu bar not working in IE
                                                              Ben Pleysier MVP

I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean that there is no space between the attributes on line 30? please clarify..does that mean I do need a space? or do not need a space? and where exactly? sorry about that. I am still learning.

IfIreplytoyouwithoutusingspaces,itbecaomesveryhardtounderstand.

Sotoo,ifattributesarewrittenwithoutaspace,asinthefollowing

SpryMenuBarVer tical.css "rel="stylesheet"type="text/css"

browserswillfindithardtounderstand. Iknowthatther earespace sbuttheyareinthewrongplace.

Now we will insert spaces in our answer and in the right places. See the difference it makes when reading? I know that browsers can translate more of what we write than we give them credit for, but we must get used to sticking to the correct format and that is to separate the attributes with a space. The above becomes

SpryMenuBarVertical.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"

Do you notice the space between the attributes?

Also in your example of where you right clicked, you are right clicking on the PS-2 product that I have...which belongs to my .php shopping cart? so I do not see the html tag if I click on the main page of my site.? also do you mean that the html tag should or should not be there? Again sorry.

Oh, sorry, I just noticed that in your other post you have declared this topic as being dead. I guess I am wasting my time.

Good day sir.

Grumps

• 28. Re: Spry Menu bar not working in IE

Alright, sorry, geez, I'm back. Sorry about the other post, don't see an option to close my posts though. Anyway I am just on a timeline to get this complete, sorry about that.

And sorry, you have got me lost as to where in my code this space is that I have...I am just not seeing it when I look in DW.

This is from my .dwt and I do not see any space.?

<link href="http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/spry/widgets/menubar/SpryMenuBarVertical.css"rel="stylesheet"type="text/css"/>

• 29. Re: Spry Menu bar not working in IE
                                                                  Ben Pleysier MVP

I know this is off topic, but there could be a parallel.

Last night (in Ozland), I sat back watching the Olympics road race and how Bradley Wiggins, the favourite, used the wrong tactics and finished up losing the race. At the time I was munching away on a potato crisp called Thins because they are not as thick as some.

Have a good day.

Grumps

• 30. Re: Spry Menu bar not working in IE

Hello.

My post here on Adobe is quite serious in nature and my website is down right right now. And is my wifes, and mine major income.  I would truly appreciate if anyone else if needed, could step in please and give me a helping hand here on my last issue on IE as I am not understanding nor seeing

what I need to do.

Sorry, I'm just a no non-sense person, not looking to please, or not please nor insult anyone here.

I just need some help.

Thanks.

• 31. Re: Spry Menu bar not working in IE
                                                                      Ben Pleysier MVP

Please have a look here http://pleysier.com.au/dano/.

All I did was remove the <html> tag at the top, making sure that the DOCTYPE declaration started on the first line and I added the spaces for the previously named attributes.

What more can I do?

Grumps

• 32. Re: Spry Menu bar not working in IE

Still not sure what you are conveying to me. I removed the HTML tag from my index, and child pages. And I am still not sure what you mean "added spaces for previously names attributes".

Sorry, I don't even know what an 'attribute' is. I mentioned seveal times that I am stil learning. Kinda like saying to a beggining Drummer, please make sure your using Regal Tip 5-A's for jazz drumming and  are you using Remo clear heads on the bottom of your snare drum? or, did u use mufflers on your drums? what kind did u use? )))

• 33. Re: Spry Menu bar not working in IE
                                                                          Ben Pleysier MVP

Still not sure what you are conveying to me. I removed the HTML tag from my index, and child pages.

The index, or Home page never did show the <html>-tag. The online version still shows the <html> tag on all of the child pages.

And I am still not sure what you mean "added spaces for previously names attributes".

Sorry, I don't even know what an 'attribute' is. I mentioned seveal times that I am stil learning. Kinda like saying to a beggining Drummer, please make sure your using Regal Tip 5-A's for jazz drumming and  are you using Remo clear heads on the bottom of your snare drum? or, did u use mufflers on your drums? what kind did u use? )))

I know your feeling. When my GP explains the reason for an ache on the right side of my chest, I don't know what he is saying; too many medical terms for me to worry about. But then I am not about to become a medical practitioner.

You are trying to develop a web site and you are expected to at least know basic HTML and CSS. JS would be handy, but is not initially required.

To understand what an attribute is, you must first know what an element is. For that, have a look here http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_elements.asp. From this, you can conclude that an element consists of an opening tag and a closing tag (with unfortunate exceptions). Within the element we can provide additional information such as rel, type, class, id, style, title just to name a few. The syntax is attribute="somevalue", e.g. rel="stylesheet". Each of these attributes must be surrounded by a space, as I have explained before. This is so that the browser can interpret the instructions properly. That is what I have been saying, yourattributesarenotseparatedbyspaces, oops, your attributes are not separated by spaces. Have a look here http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_attributes.asp

Actually, the main reason that the menu does not show properly in IE is the <html> tag at the start of your document. Remember that an element has a start tag and an ending tag. The <html> tag at the top of your document is an opening tag, yet there is no related closing tag. Not that it matters because the DOCTYPE declaration must be the first thing in your document as you can see here http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_doctype.asp

You must understand the above and fix the problem accordingly.

Gramps

• 34. Re: Spry Menu bar not working in IE

Sorry I dont understand. Thanks, but I dont understand your attitude. I am just asking for help at Adobe.com, not asking to become a developer. I will seek otherwise.

• 35. Re: Spry Menu bar not working in IE
                                                                              Ben Pleysier MVP

I guess you win some and you lose some.

I was under the impression that you were desparate to get your web site to show correctly.

I am trying to help, but I keep hitting my head against brick walls.

There is a simple solution:

GET RID OF THE REDICULOUS <html>-TAG AT THE TOP OF YOUR DOCUMENT!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a good day sir!

Gramps

• 36. Re: Spry Menu bar not working in IE

My appologies, I'm sure your just as busy as I am. I have been under the gun to get this thing fixed and trying to juggle working 50 hour weeks. Not ones fault but mine. And sorry that I am not up to speed on this website stuff. I really would like to be, and would like to be as good at this stuff as you guys are here. I just have not been able to sqeeze in all the time needed. This is facinating stuff. Which is why I bought DW in the first place to try and build my own site. I know I didn't do too great of a job though obviiously. So again, sorry for my attitude here, just got frustrated, so thats why the other posts, sorry about those, my bad.

So during the night I thought about this html tag at the top of the doc. Here is what I am seeing and I am not sure how to get to it to fix it or remove it. In the screen-shots I have below here, for my Index page, you see there is not a html tag at the top.

But..for what you and I are seeing in the below screen shot when clicking on an actual product that I have linked up to the .php shopping cart software that I have, you will see the html tag at the top of any of those product pages when you right click them and view source.

So my question is, if I am on to something here is, where is that html tag hiding in my shopping cart .php folder of files? not really sure, I poked around but am still not finding it. I have all these .php folders and files but there is not one for each product like you see when you click on the product.

Any ideas?

html tag.jpg

• 37. Re: Spry Menu bar not working in IE
                                                                                  Ben Pleysier MVP

Taking things one at a time, we will tackle index.dwt, which can be found in the Templates subdirectory.

1. Line #28 change

<link href="http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/spry/widgets/menubar/SpryMenuBarVertical.css"rel="stylesheet"type="text/css"/>

to

<link href="http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/spry/widgets/menubar/SpryMenuBarVertical.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/>

2. Line #36 add

<script>

3. Line #92 insert a new line containing

<style>

The above will ensure that there are no problems with the template. Make sure that when you save the template, that you also save the changes in the documents that use the template.

When you have done that, please upload all of the changed files to the server so that the changes can be verified

While you do that, I will check to see what is going on with the proddetail.php file.

Gramps

• 38. Re: Spry Menu bar not working in IE
                                                                                    Ben Pleysier MVP

It looks like the problem with the stray <html> tag can be found on line #6 of proddetail.php which says

include "vsadmin/inc/metainfo.php";?><html>

Remove the red coloured part, save the file and upload so that it can be verified.

Gramps

• 39. Re: Spry Menu bar not working in IE
                                                                                      Ben Pleysier MVP

Not quite there yet.

At this stage I see

<!--
                                                                                      .style3 {color: #0099FF}
                                                                                      <style>
                                                                                      -->

</style>

This should read

<style>

<!--
                                                                                      .style3 {color: #0099FF}
                                                                                      -->

</style>

Open index.dwt again and change the position of the red coloured tag.

The rest looks perfect.

Gramps

1 2 Previous Next